Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

DOTA Lessons - Come and get 'em

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

So, I'm thinking about having a regular DOTA 'class' (for lack of a better term) where 4 new to beginner level players can team up with myself and play bot games.

I'm not the best player out there, but I have over 1000 hours and 660 wins so I at least will know the basics and I've commentated a few matches before so I like to think that I can multi-task well enough to make this helpful for all.

I'm looking to just talk to everyone over voice-chat (you won't have to answer back if you don't want to) and explain everybody's roles, what items to buy, how to level up your dude, and generally answer any questions people may have.

Would there be any interest in this? I love seeing the site get into the game more but I was a little frustrated by how little was actually effectively explained on the streams over the past week or so. That was no-one's fault in particular but I found myself thinking that I could have done a better job and, then, thought why the hell don't I put that theory to the test.

My Steam ID is UndoneBahamut and I'm always on the Giantbomb DOTA chat channel. I'm based in the EU and will be (blissfully) unemployed for another 2 weeks, meaning I have a lot of free time.

If anyone's interested, let me know when works for you and we'll do this.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By golguin

1000 hours and 660 wins seems like a lot since I've completed 7 bot matches with GB dudes and I started playing on Friday.

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I would be willing to give it a shot. I'll add you on Steam once I fix an issue with my PC.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@golguin said:

1000 hours and 660 wins seems like a lot since I've completed 7 bot matches with GB dudes and I started playing on Friday.

Yeah, 660 wins is definitely a ton (meaning he's playing something like 1300 matches) and he knows the ins and outs. More than enough time to consider yourself a veteran.

I'll go ahead and endorse this thread (like that means anything, right? lol) since I was talking to him in the GB channel yesterday (I'm currently Grant 'The Granary' Scott on Steam) and he seemed to know what he was talking about. Being able to have someone tell you in real time what you're doing right and wrong is probably the quickest and easiest way to learn, and I think it'll help a lot. If anyone's not confident, definitely try it out.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor

@golguin said:

Sounds like you're just the sort of guy I'm looking for! If you're interested in joining me for a tutorial game, send me a message on Steam or just hang out in the GB Chat channel there, I'll likely do something later today once I've got my Dishonored DLC fix.

I would be willing to give it a shot. I'll add you on Steam once I fix an issue with my PC.

Awesome, glad to see there's interest!

stri26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By stri26

I'd like to do this as well!

This is a pretty cool way to get people into the game. I appreciate it. My Steam username is Stri26

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't have time to get into this game myself, although I would love to at some point. But a DOTA beginner class sounds like an amazing idea. The few times I've tried to start I went to twitch hoping the someone archived something like this. Just a basic walkthrough about characters, upgrades, strategies, and jargon on top of a playthrough. If you do put this together and have the ability to stream, please let me know. I would totally subscribe to a channel like this.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djou said:

I don't have time to get into this game myself, although I would love to at some point. But a DOTA beginner class sounds like an amazing idea. The few times I've tried to start I went to twitch hoping the someone archived something like this. Just a basic walkthrough about characters, upgrades, strategies, and jargon on top of a playthrough. If you do put this together and have the ability to stream, please let me know. I would totally subscribe to a channel like this.

Purge kinda does what you're looking for in a handful of his videos, especially the ones he uploads to his youtube channel.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would be interested in this too, EU based as well. Started this weekend with playing, did 2 Bot matches and watched some tournament streams/replays (okay, most my of "played" time comes from watching those...). Steam ID is "HarlechQuinn".

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: Yeah, Purge has been recommended to me before. I watched a few of these and lost patience, probably why I haven't started yet. More than anything there is such a backlist of videos its difficult to pick a starting point. I wish someone had a "New to DOTA? Watch this first" video. The GAF thread was also helpful in understanding the basics, I just haven't made the jump (at this point I deleted my local Steam files). From my half-hearted searching there really isn't a good source for the absolute basics. There's a lot of talk about tutors and coaching in the DOTA community, but this always involves a lot trial by error and coordinating time to play with people. I really surprised that Valve hasn't put something like this together, or at least reached out to the community to feature their games.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ajamafalous

@djou said:

@ajamafalous: Yeah, Purge has been recommended to me before. I watched a few of these and lost patience, probably why I haven't started yet. More than anything there is such a backlist of videos its difficult to pick a starting point. I wish someone had a "New to DOTA? Watch this first" video. The GAF thread was also helpful in understanding the basics, I just haven't made the jump (at this point I deleted my local Steam files). From my half-hearted searching there really isn't a good source for the absolute basics. There's a lot of talk about tutors and coaching in the DOTA community, but this always involves a lot trial by error and coordinating time to play with people. I really surprised that Valve hasn't put something like this together, or at least reached out to the community to feature their games.

Have you read Purge's guide? It's mostly text, but it has a handful of embedded videos where he goes over things like laning, spending starting gold, itemization, etc.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Steam Guide? Yes, I skimmed it but haven't delved into it. Believe me, my lack of participation is completely my fault. The resources are available but scattered. There's a perception of high barrier to entry, time commitment, and intimidation that keeps me (and I'm sure many others) from playing. I play games mostly at the end of the day after work and going out. If I have the option of playing through a mission of Dishonored or learning this and the former always wins out. It feels like I need to take a vacation from everything to really learn it. The game seems fun, but its not pick and play friendly.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vitor

@stri26 said:

I'd like to do this as well!

This is a pretty cool way to get people into the game. I appreciate it. My Steam username is Stri26

Glad to have one more on board!

I'll start the first session soon - just came down with a bad cold and sore throat so can't do anything proper as of right now. Hopefully I should be able to organise something before the weekend if all goes well.

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Just played my first 2 matches. @vitor was an excellent teacher!

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vitor
    madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man this would be awesome! I'd love to jump into a game or two with you and get some pointers. I guess my only problem is I live in Japan so currently I'm... 13 hours ahead of east coast time which depending, is probably a really awkward time to start a game up. Might if we also use this to just ask questions? I've been playing bot games and trying to read up on guides and watch as many videos as I can to get a feel for it, but I'm still kinda lost on a few things.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vitor

Man this would be awesome! I'd love to jump into a game or two with you and get some pointers. I guess my only problem is I live in Japan so currently I'm... 13 hours ahead of east coast time which depending, is probably a really awkward time to start a game up. Might if we also use this to just ask questions? I've been playing bot games and trying to read up on guides and watch as many videos as I can to get a feel for it, but I'm still kinda lost on a few things.

I used to live in Japan so I totally get that. Feel free to ask away and I'll do what I can do answer them!

If you want, send me the match ID of one of your games and I can maybe find the time to record commentary for it. That way, you can still participate. It'll mean rewatching the whole match again but,if you have the patience I'd be happy to give it a shot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.