Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Should macro use be a bannable offence

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Poll Should macro use be a bannable offence (57 votes)

Yes 61%
    No 39%

So lately I have been running into a lot of people picking invoker then clearly using macro's to swap spells. I feel this make the character over powered. He is balanced like Meepo, very strong but with a high skill requirement to play well. So I figured I should ask other peoples opinion should using macro's result in a ban?

• 
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Are macros built into the game or are they running software external to the game?

If they're built in then no, they shouldn't be banned. I used macros all the time in WoW to do things like have 1 button that could do four different things depending on holding a modifier key and if the target is friendly or hostile. That gave me an advantage in things like PVP but the macro system is built into WoW directly so anyone could use them.

If they're using an external program to do it, like pressing a button that then rapidly sends multiple commands and keyclicks to the right places then yes they should be. There was a problem with that in Diablo 3 for a while where people would be able to quickly change armour sets right before the death of an enemy because they used a program outside the game to send mouse clicks to key locations on the screen that would swap items.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably but that stuff can be pretty tricky to detect, as it's isolated from the game. But I would also argue that there is no need to make a character that is difficult just because it's hard to press the keys right, at least not in the case of a game like this.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jesus_phish: Yeah there's no macros in game, it's very much akin to your Diablo example.

Probably but that stuff can be pretty tricky to detect, as it's isolated from the game. But I would also argue that there is no need to make a character that is difficult just because it's hard to press the keys right, at least not in the case of a game like this.

He's not difficult because it's hard to press the keys right, you could argue he's not difficult at all really, it's just he has a very high skill ceiling, and being able to rotate through his 10 spells with a single key press makes him ridiculously easy, significantly lowering his skill ceiling, but not lowering his potency.

It'd be something similar to playing Magicka but with all your spells on a specific key instead of having to summon the right elements.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@jesus_phish: Yeah there's no macros in game, it's very much akin to your Diablo example.

@jarmahead said:

He's not difficult because it's hard to press the keys right, you could argue he's not difficult at all really, it's just he has a very high skill ceiling, and being able to rotate through his 10 spells with a single key press makes him ridiculously easy, significantly lowering his skill ceiling, but not lowering his potency.

It'd be something similar to playing Magicka but with all your spells on a specific key instead of having to summon the right elements.

I dunno, that sounds pretty much exactly like what I was talking about.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: In that case then yeah I think using them should get you a temp ban.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Kind of curious how they'd be able to detect it.

I imagine the input from a macro looking the same as the keystrokes of a skilled player.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's external program that is making it possible, then yes. I feel okay in using macros in TF2 though, because it is doable by the in-game console. I use macros for quick-build and quick-destroy of my mini sentries, saves me having to press 4 then 1 constantly.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The people voting No, are the people using macros.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EXTomar

What do you define as "macro"? Is it just binding keys in such a way to allow casting net on Meepo while another key is Poof on another Meep while another is attack? That isn't a "macro".

PKB_Noitwont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not pro macro. But in the case of Invoker, it seems like it would only help someone that didn't want to bother learning how to play him. Doesn't seem like someone with macros would have an advantage over an actual good Invoker player.

BeardyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BeardyDuck

@extomar: A macro would be having a single button input the combination for spells on Invoker. Another would be a single button that would automatically cycle through each Meepo casting net.

@noitwont Except the whole reason why you need to invoke spells in the first place is the reason why Invoker has a high skill ceiling. If you take away that aspect of the hero you're literally making it "easy mode" without learning how to play him.

PKB_Noitwont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.