Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

Why does this not count as a win?

g00ber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By g00ber

So I played a single draft this morning. Chose Bloodseeker. We had an abandon before the game started, so now it's 4v5 - cool, whatever, not the end of the world. Our Gyro leaves at level 5... lame. Long story short the Skeleton King and I ended up carrying the game and we won 3v5 in under 30 minutes, yet I don't get a win for that?

Is it as simple as an abandon before the game = no win/no loss?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

If someone abandons before 10 minutes the game won't be counted as either win or lose but the player who left will still get an abandon.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By buft

Wait, so the rest carry on without the chance for a win or loss but leaving one of these games still nets you an abandon?

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dbz1995

I mean, you never know. Maybe the guys who left would have gone in, fed the enemy team, and then taken your Couriers to your team fights thinking they were controlling themselves. Teammates can be a hindrance!

Seriously though, it's pretty unfair for you, dude. At least it's better than in League, where they just don't recognise whether somebody has completely disconnected or not.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar

Well it wouldn't exactly be fair if the coin was on the other side and you lost a game that was handicapped (whether it was in your favor or not). The game even says when there is an abandon that the game is now free to leave with no repercussions. The only reason I would be pissed about it is if I actually cared about ladder rankings and stuff like that.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EXTomar

Yes that rule is there but to be fair it needs to be applied regardless which side had the first defect/drop or which side actually wins.

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Drizzle

@buft said:

Wait, so the rest carry on without the chance for a win or loss but leaving one of these games still nets you an abandon?

No, the original person that left the game gets the abandon, the game won't count so there is no reason to play on and everyone else can leave freely and not get penalized

g00ber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By g00ber

The rule makes sense I suppose. It's a bummer to work that hard and play nearly flawlessly and not be rewarded with a win though.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@buft said:

No, only the first person who leaves (or is afk for 5 min) gets an abandon after that everyone else can leave without getting an abandon.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By indiefinch

@Mr_Skeleton said:

No, only the first person who leaves (or is afk for 5 min) gets an abandon after that everyone else can leave without getting an abandon.

This is correct. Once one person gets an abandon, the game is free to leave for everyone without penalty. If the game goes past the 10 min mark, then someone abandons...it still counts as a win or loss. If someone abandons before the 10 min mark, the game doesn't count for anything no matter who stays / leaves.

AcerbusIgnis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AcerbusIgnis

@IndieFinch: Thanks for the info! I've been wondering about this for a while, but always forget to look it up after a game with an abandon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.