Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Do we need Bosses In Video Games?

vietthreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Edited By vietthreat

I just recently finished dragon age 2 for ps3 and was happy with the game overall but the end bosses of dragon age 2 were one of the downfalls of the game. Many games do this but few can do it well enough that it is enjoyable and not repetitive. Bosses are usually a climatic way for games to conclude the chapter of the campaign but alot of the time they prove to be annoying and repetitive.  

I believe we should get rid of boss battles in video games because they slow down the pace of a game and they ruin te experience that the game spent so long building up through its earlier parts. I would prefer to have a giant firefight where i were to take down a bunch of enemies in  a bunch of different ways then to fight one giant boss repeatedly using a single strategy that exploits the boss.  

I only speak about boss battles through my experience, you may have encountered a game where the boss was actually a challenging and enjoyable part of the game and if thats the case, tell me what game it is so i can give it a look and maybe my stance on bosses may change. If you are like me and dislike boss battles, tell me why and what boss battle made you decide that enough was enough.
    vietthreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vietthreat

I just recently finished dragon age 2 for ps3 and was happy with the game overall but the end bosses of dragon age 2 were one of the downfalls of the game. Many games do this but few can do it well enough that it is enjoyable and not repetitive. Bosses are usually a climatic way for games to conclude the chapter of the campaign but alot of the time they prove to be annoying and repetitive.  

I believe we should get rid of boss battles in video games because they slow down the pace of a game and they ruin te experience that the game spent so long building up through its earlier parts. I would prefer to have a giant firefight where i were to take down a bunch of enemies in  a bunch of different ways then to fight one giant boss repeatedly using a single strategy that exploits the boss.  

I only speak about boss battles through my experience, you may have encountered a game where the boss was actually a challenging and enjoyable part of the game and if thats the case, tell me what game it is so i can give it a look and maybe my stance on bosses may change. If you are like me and dislike boss battles, tell me why and what boss battle made you decide that enough was enough.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By phrosnite

I like bosses and I really liked the final boss battle, I should say, in DA2 because for 50 hours I passed by those statues many, many times and I even took a few screenshots. I thought the battle was really cool. 

I'm all for boss battles especially when done well.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By HadesTimes

I'm not a fan of boss battles.  But I DID like the bosses at the end of Dragon Age 2.  I think it made it feel more epic. Sorry you didn't like them.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Skald
    The last boss of Bioshock still pisses me off. The whole fight just seemed like a lazy and predictable way of ending the game.
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Cold_Wolven

It depends on the type of game you're playing. Halo 2 proved that a boss battle in an FPS is just lame but as far as RPGs go they're more appropriate as they're a great way of testing your character's experience level and skills you've taught your character(s). The only game I ever truly loved boss battles is Shadow of the Colossus for obvious reasons. 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Animasta

Great boss battles: Bayonetta, SMT3: Nocturne, Nier

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By HadesTimes
    @extremeradical: oh my god that was such as silly fight, I still can't understand why they bothered.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls, Casltevania, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, almost every decent character action game ever. 

A bunch of shit I'm forgetting. 

Like RPGs.

Bosses are awesome because the game designer gets to take everything they've taught you as you've been playing and focus it into a single overwhelming obstacle that you have to use your cunning and skill to overcome. It's like the final test for both the player and designer. The training wheels get kicked the fuck off and all you have to fall back on is what you've learned.  It's fucking huge and exhilarating and challenging andgreat.

All the bosses in DA2 are terrible. They are like bad WoW elites but fucking boring and exploitable as hell. 

At least the bosses in DA1 were, like, passable WoW bosses. And you could fire trebuchets at them.    

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

I generally like boss battles, for certain genres, and DA2 being an RPG should of been one of them. Unfortunately, with it branching towards more hack n slash elements, with more focus on placements and cover, rather than dice rolls, it made some of the battles incredibly boring and cumbersome to manage. The giant rock wraith was the worst, with me having to constantly manually move my party around. The duel against the Arishok was pretty lame as well. 
    The High Dragon as well, was mostly just me running in circles with the tank of the team, luring the Dragon around, while the rest would chip away at its health.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

It depends on the type of game. In a lot of shooters and some RPGs, bosses can be a huge bummer; they often aren't fun to fight or represent a huge difficulty roadblock. Uncharted 2, for example, had absolutely horrible boss fights. 

For games with good boss fights, Shadow of the Colossus is an obvious choice. Also try Bayonetta, any game in the God of War series, and some of the games in the Contra series, especially Contra III, Shattered Soldier, and Contra Hard Corps.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer

I liked the boss battles of DA2. Actually most of my favorite games feature gameplay heavily focused on boss battles such as FFXIII, Bayonetta and Monster Hunter. 

If they got rid of bosses in video games... I think I'd be playing significantly fewer games.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Vaile
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls, Casltevania, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, almost every decent character action game ever. 

Like RPGs.

Bosses are awesome because the game designer gets to take everything they've taught you as you've been playing and focus it into a single overwhelming obstacle that you have to use your cunning and skill to overcome. It's like the final test for both the player and designer. The training wheels get kicked the fuck off and all you have to fall back on is what you've learned.  It's fucking huge and exhilarating and challenging andgreat. All the bosses in DA2 are terrible. They are like bad WoW elites but fucking boring and exploitable as hell.  At least the bosses in DA1 were, like, passable WoW bosses. And you could fire trebuchets at them.     "
    This, basically. 
    With the exception of the high dragon, I think the worst thing about DA2 bosses was how easy it was to freeze them for extended periods of time.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Vaile said:
    " This, basically. With the exception of the high dragon, I think the worst thing about DA2 bosses was how easy it was to freeze them for extended periods of time. "
    I found it considerably favorable to most RPGs where you invest heavily in a CC/Debuff character only to have them become completely useless during a boss fight.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spoonman671

Yes, we need boss battles.  Just because there are some bad bosses doesn't mean we should get rid of them entirely.  That's just throwing the proverbial baby out with the bath water.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By habster3
    @Spoonman671 said:
    "Yes, we need boss battles.  Just because there are some bad bosses doesn't mean we should get rid of them entirely.  That's just throwing the proverbial baby out with the bath water. "
    Word.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By BeachThunder
    @extremeradical said:
    " The last boss of Bioshock still pisses me off. The whole fight just seemed like a lazy and predictable way of ending the game. "
    System Shock 2 wasn't much better. Ugh :(

But anyway, it really depends what kind of game.
    blackfire83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blackfire83

Axing boss battles altogether seems a bit harsh, but I do agree that the boss battles in DA2 are not good. I actually like what the OP described for a final battle, but instead we get bad bosses. 

I think the main problem with DA2's bosses is that they didn't have anything to do with the combat system of the rest of the game. 99% of your encounters you need to focus on wiping out enemies quickly, keeping the new waves off your squishies, and generally disabling threats. Bosses are totally different. In fact, a certain party configuration may be very strong against 99% of the encounters, but be totally ineffective for tanking and spanking a boss. 

Demon's Souls' bosses were good because they were culminations of all the combat abilities and tactics you'd used against normal enemies. DA2's bosses are uncreative and predictable, relying on lame gameplay mechanics (oh no, the dragon flew JUST OUT OF REACH, we'll have to defeat these silly adds before it comes back).  

In short, boss battles CAN be good, but they shouldn't be a necessity. DA2's bosses aren't good, but that doesn't mean all bosses should go away.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Mcfart
    @vietthreat said:
    " I just recently finished dragon age 2 for ps3 and was happy with the game overall but the end bosses of dragon age 2 were one of the downfalls of the game. Many games do this but few can do it well enough that it is enjoyable and not repetitive. Bosses are usually a climatic way for games to conclude the chapter of the campaign but alot of the time they prove to be annoying and repetitive.   I believe we should get rid of boss battles in video games because they slow down the pace of a game and they ruin te experience that the game spent so long building up through its earlier parts. I would prefer to have a giant firefight where i were to take down a bunch of enemies in  a bunch of different ways then to fight one giant boss repeatedly using a single strategy that exploits the boss.   I only speak about boss battles through my experience, you may have encountered a game where the boss was actually a challenging and enjoyable part of the game and if thats the case, tell me what game it is so i can give it a look and maybe my stance on bosses may change. If you are like me and dislike boss battles, tell me why and what boss battle made you decide that enough was enough. "
    Boss at end of Deep Roads SUCKED! I was repeating the same process for 10m, it was so boring
    Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Hairy_Fish

My favourite boss battles were from the Metal Gear Solid franchise. Every one of them was completely different from one another and force you to use different strategies.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fallen189
    vietthreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vietthreat

I guess i didn't like DA2's boss was because i was mashing the button for the amount of time it took to kill the boss
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By breadfan

Spoiler for Dragon Age 2: 

I don't generally mind boss battles in video games, except when they take you out of the atmosphere of the game and become too 'gamey'. It just ruins the overall tone of the game.
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By Jedted

I agree, there's that one early boss where after beat on them for a couple minutes your supposed to hide behind a piller to avoid it's massive attack.  There's also another one where the only strategy for defeating it is hit-n-run attacks while trying to doge the boss' attacks. 

I am ofcorse refering to that annoying one on one fight with the Arishock.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me boss battles felt really archaic ten years ago and I can't believe they're still a "thing" in so many games.  

I mean there are certainly games where boss battles feel appropriate, and I want them to remain in such games, but with more and more games they just feel incredibly out of place.  

In case I didn't say "games" enough that post: gamesgamesgamesgamesgames. 

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls, Casltevania, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, almost every decent character action game ever. 

Like RPGs.

Bosses are awesome because the game designer gets to take everything they've taught you as you've been playing and focus it into a single overwhelming obstacle that you have to use your cunning and skill to overcome. It's like the final test for both the player and designer. The training wheels get kicked the fuck off and all you have to fall back on is what you've learned.  It's fucking huge and exhilarating and challenging andgreat. All the bosses in DA2 are terrible. They are like bad WoW elites but fucking boring and exploitable as hell.  At least the bosses in DA1 were, like, passable WoW bosses. And you could fire trebuchets at them.     "
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " Yes, we need boss battles.  Just because there are some bad bosses doesn't mean we should get rid of them entirely.  That's just throwing the proverbial baby out with the bath water. "
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sickVisionz
    Some games and genres don't need boss battles but others do.  Getting rid of all of them is a bad idea.
    Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Junkerman

Depends on the game, I'd rather have an elaborate cutscene then a boss fight most of the time.  And when there are boss fights I prefer them to be puzzle based, one on one, or essentially a normal fight against an opponent with higher resistances and damage.  I find it frusterating to no end whenever 1/5 of their health bar is knocked away, they [insert method of escape] to a place you cant reach them, and throw waves of mobs at you until they eventually rejoin the fight, only for this tedious process to repeat again 4 more times.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By Icemael

Not all video games need boss battles, but getting rid of boss battles altogether? Fuck that. If boss-battles are well-designed, they're usually the highlights of the game they're in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.