Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare.

Bioware's initial response to PC Community

EpicCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/521697-pc-community-concerns/

Not terribly specific (kind of Bungie/Destiny/Deej levels of non-committal, tbh) but it's something. less than 48 hours after launch is a reasonably quick response time. It'll be interesting to see how quickly and iin what priority the actual fixes happen

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The cutscene hitching is pretty bad but whatever it's not game breaking.

I would really love some more tactics options though.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Fix the freezing on the main menu and let me bind a key to walk and I'll be content.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

Yeah, what is with that cut-scene hitching? I noticed that on the PS4 version as well. So far gameplay seems to be pretty smooth but during cut-scenes it gets kind of chunky for whatever reason.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@defaultprophet: There was a possible fix posted to unlock the 30 fps lock for cutscenes on PC have yet to try it.

"To get rid of the imposed limit, make a shortcut and add “-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+” at the end."

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6 FinalDasa  Moderator

To be fair I think this kind of communication of what they know is wrong and are working on is fantastic. Only a handful of years ago we'd be waiting for press releases or news stories to find this stuff out and most of the time it would be a simple "we're working on it".

And these seem like smaller fixes and not game breaking in any way.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@finaldasa: True, Dragon Age Inquisition on PC runs fine just for the minor stuff. It's nothing compared to Assassins Creed Unity.

EpicCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of the PC Players that fell in love with Origins are really struggling with the control changes/issues...for those folks it is potentially game breaking.

Some of the control complaints will calm down as people get more accustomed to it, but in the meantime it is definitely something Bioware needed to address. The current state of the game comes across as not having any thought put into it as far as optimizations to accommodate m+kb

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FinalDasa  Moderator

@i_stay_puft: Is the major concern just the lack of PC styled controls? Seems more like an oversight or something they put off until after they went gold rather than something just completely left out.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epiccyclops: I don't know man, the control change evolution has been happening since Dragon Age 2. I should know, I beat Dragon Age 2 on PC using their not zoomed all out camera. Dragon Age Inquisition controls just feels like the natural evolution of the franchise on PC.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: There were stuttering issues earlier for some people who were playing it but it looks like those issues were resolved with the latest driver patch for their gfx cards.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By impartialgecko

@finaldasa said:

To be fair I think this kind of communication of what they know is wrong and are working on is fantastic. Only a handful of years ago we'd be waiting for press releases or news stories to find this stuff out and most of the time it would be a simple "we're working on it".

And these seem like smaller fixes and not game breaking in any way.

I don't think they can afford to be stand-offish after the ill-will they've garnered from DA2 forward. The BioWare isn't going to regain its cache if they alienate the people who go to bat for them. You only see developers get out there and talk about a game's issues candidly and proactively if they're afraid of the negative publicity harming sales and the brand. When GTA Online was completely fucked Rockstar wasn't laying out exactly what was broken because they don't need good publicity to sell a trillion copies and keep the GTA brand in the gaming consciousness.

I agree that this is incredibly positive, but I think we should be patting ourselves on the backs for consistently being able to raise a stink about these issues. They wouldn't be being so forthright if they weren't afraid of lost sales and tanking their brand image. Honestly, it's almost desirable that games like AC Unity and the Master Chief Collection don't sell as well in order to back up the idea that companies who don't try to keep consumers happy will suffer the consequences in their bottom-line.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FinalDasa  Moderator

@impartialgecko: Sure, some of this is from consumer concern over these issues but I think assuming this is only because of the internet's ire and anger is placing too much credit on forums. In the case of 343 I agree with you, they were concerned just staying silent and working on the issues would hurt the brand and their fans. Whereas I think Bioware is doing this to inform fans what they're doing to improve their game and not as some ploy to keep fans happy.

I think we have to remember that these developers also love these games, want them to be their best, and if it were up to them these bugs wouldn't exist at all. Not every developer is up front and open about every issue and every effort to solve those issues. But they are, usually, trying to fix everything so we feel we get the best experience out of the game.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

I'm still flabbergasted at how bad the keyboard and mouse controls are. It's a real bummer that the PC version of a Bioware fantasy rpg is easier to control with a gamepad.

EpicCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: You may well be right. I started this topic more for the benefit of other people that are struggling with it...I myself suck ass at most kb+m controls and tend to use a controller. I grew up on consoles and have had a for-realsies gaming PC for a grand total of 13 months.

You're probably right about it being a natural evolution. People just don't want to accept that 2014 Bioware will never make another NWN / DA:O style "classic" CRPG. Bioware is about RPGs with great stories and characters, not about a particular take on tactical combat.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@demoskinos said:

Yeah, what is with that cut-scene hitching? I noticed that on the PS4 version as well. So far gameplay seems to be pretty smooth but during cut-scenes it gets kind of chunky for whatever reason.

Cutscene hitching seems to be a real problem with these new games, particularly on consoles. Alien: Isolation comes to mind as being particularly awful. It's strange that in-game stuff can be so smooth in these games and the cutscenes--which should be pre-rendered--are running like crap.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epiccyclops: Opposite for me. I grew up on PC gaming, and even with regressive KB/M controls, I still prefer that to controller.

But, holy sh*t, the inability to map mouse buttons is ridiculous. Come on, Bioware.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By mosdl

@i_stay_puft said:

@defaultprophet: There was a possible fix posted to unlock the 30 fps lock for cutscenes on PC have yet to try it.

"To get rid of the imposed limit, make a shortcut and add “-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+” at the end."

According to Bioware that fix may break the multiplayer mode so be warned.

@epiccyclops: I don't know man, the control change evolution has been happening since Dragon Age 2. I should know, I beat Dragon Age 2 on PC using their not zoomed all out camera. Dragon Age Inquisition controls just feels like the natural evolution of the franchise on PC.

Its less about the zoom (more wouldn't hurt) but how the camera moves with a kb/mouse. The cursor moves like a character, it can't go over certain parts of the map etc.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mosdl said:

@i_stay_puft said:

According to Bioware that fix may break the multiplayer mode so be warned.

Oh noes, not the arbitrary multiplayer...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i haven't played much yet, but aside from the MKB issues the game seems like a very solid port. also personally wish the performance would be better but that may be my heightened expectations.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried this and Nivida released a new driver yesterday that mentioned dragon age. One of these two things (or both!) fixed cutscene hitching for me.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By octaslash

The game kept crashing constantly for me and many others despite exceeding the recommended requirements and having up-to date (from yesterday) drivers. I took advantage of Origin's handy refund system for the first time. EA and Bioware's total non-response (or even acknowledgement) on the first day didn't help and I just don't have time to deal with broken releases anymore.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By mosdl

@koolaid said:

@i_stay_puft said:

I tried this and Nivida released a new driver yesterday that mentioned dragon age. One of these two things (or both!) fixed cutscene hitching for me.

Its the shortcut thing, the cutscene issue is a game bug. Also:

Looks like they are working on figuring it out.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@i_stay_puft: Is the major concern just the lack of PC styled controls? Seems more like an oversight or something they put off until after they went gold rather than something just completely left out.

considering they very openly deliberately left out gamepad support for the Mass Effect PC games due to budget/timeframe concerns, I'd say the lack of certain PC control customizations are likely deliberate choices once more.

That being said I do appreciate how communicative they are being.

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By caska

@octaslash: What system are you and others using? Aside from the cutscene issues and the annoying no F5 if using a controller, the game has been pretty smooth on my oldish regular gtx760 and i5-4670.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I've had the cutscene FPS thing and once, I could no longer use the mouse to control the dialogue wheel, and had to switch to numbers. Other than that, no real issues. Is it a bit sad that a game is considered fine at launch as long as it's not completely broken these days?

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bombedyermom

Unlocking the 30 FPS on cutscenes helps A LOT. As did updating my drivers.

To make the cutscenes 60 FPS, right click on DA:I in your Origin library, go to Game Properties, and copy/paste this line

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+

into the Command Line Arguments box

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By amafi

Only issue I've had with it so far is the incredibly boneheaded way they implemented controls and switching between them.

Launched ds4windows, launched origin, launched the game, chose gamepad controls, game won't recognize the controller. There's no way of using the keyboard and mouse in the menus anymore to go back. Alt+f4.

closed ds4windows, plugged in my 360 wireless receiver, started the game, still not seeing the controller. Alt+f4 again. Unplugged my fightstick. tried again, no luck.

Found the profile files under my documents/bioware/dragonage inquisition folder. Deleted them. rebooted the computer to finalize installation of patches. Started origin again, still no luck.

Finally I unplugged the wireless receiver from my front panel usb3 port and stuck it in a front panel usb2 port, and it works perfectly. Fucking ridiculous.

Going to try plugging the stupid usb BT receiver I use for the DS4 into a usb hub plugged into a usb port to see if that works, as my machine only has the two front panel usb2 ports, rest is all usb3.

Dumbest implementation of PC gamepad support I've seen in my entire life. Or at least since like '99 or so.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

At least they are working on it and trying to make it better.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Legion_

I'm playing on the PS4, and I've just encountered two bugs. One is frequent, in that the main character stops in the run animation for just a second when entering haven. The other one was just funny though. The main character got into the falling animation, and I couldn't get him out of it. So he just walked around everywhere with arms out to the side, looking like he's falling.

Avatar image for alucardekiyoshi
    AlucardeKiyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a big issue which is not just stuttering in the cutscenes on pc but throughout my entire game. It cant be that the graphics are on highest since games such as unity etc works perfectly on highest specs as well as that it happens even when I put them on the lowest graphics. and for some reason it'll suddenly work normally out of nowhere without indication as to why it does work then. but only after I got immensely pissed for it not working. DA is my favorite franchise and I paid a lot to play it normally not to endure constant lag, freezing and stuttering when I play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.