Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Is any of the DLC worth it?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ArchScabby

I haven't got any of the DLC available for this game, and I was thinking about getting some of it.  
    So I guess I'm asking people who have bought some if it was worth the purchase or not.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skald

Warden's Keep, definitely. 
    Return to Ostagar, hmm... flip a coin.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

The only DLC that I bought was Return to   Ostagar, though interesting, was only about an hour of new content. If you are just looking for more reasons to play Dragon Age it will fulfill that RPG itch, but I would say just wait until Awakening is out.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ArchScabby
    @extremeradical:@Br3adfan:  alright I'll probably try Wardens Keep, but did either of you do the Golem one?  That's the one I'm most curious about because it's so expensive.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Skald
    @ArchScabby: That's supposed to be included with the game. Do you have a new copy?
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By breadfan
    @ArchScabby: That DLC came free with my copy of Dragon Age. If it wasn't free I would have been very disappointed with it. Unless you really want an extra party member, I would resist paying for it.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ArchScabby
    @extremeradical said:
    " @ArchScabby: That's supposed to be included with the game. Do you have a new copy? "
    Yeah, I bought it the day it came out from steam.  Would I get it for free from there, and how do I check?  I don't use steam very much.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Burns098356GX

The golem one is a day one DLC release, its a extra party member (that I never really used). If you bought the game new you would have got it. If you bought your game used, you probably weren't given a code for it. If there is one DLC you should not buy its the golem one. Its like 10 dollars isnt it?

Honestly, Wardens Keep and Return or Ostogar are both pretty shallow. They don't really add anything to the plot. I'm not even sure the items you get from them are that good. There both about 45 minutes. Really, they are both garbage.

IMO, pass on all.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gike987
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " The golem one is a day one DLC release, its a extra party member (that I never really used). If you bought the game new you would have got it. If you bought your game used, you probably weren't given a code for it. If there is one DLC you should not buy its the golem one. Its like 10 dollars isnt it?  Honestly, Wardens Keep and Return or Ostogar are both pretty shallow. They don't really add anything to the plot. I'm not even sure the items you get from them are that good. There both about 45 minutes. Really, they are both garbage. IMO, pass on all. "
    You should buy the golem if you don't have it. It's a good quest plus you get one of the best and most interesting party members in the game.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy

I bought my copy about a month after the game came out and I still got the Shale DLC for free. I have no idea why you aren't getting one because I thought it was their way of saying Thanks for not buying a used copy...

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @gike987 said:
    " @Burns098356GX said:
    " The golem one is a day one DLC release, its a extra party member (that I never really used). If you bought the game new you would have got it. If you bought your game used, you probably weren't given a code for it. If there is one DLC you should not buy its the golem one. Its like 10 dollars isnt it?  Honestly, Wardens Keep and Return or Ostogar are both pretty shallow. They don't really add anything to the plot. I'm not even sure the items you get from them are that good. There both about 45 minutes. Really, they are both garbage. IMO, pass on all. "
    You should buy the golem if you don't have it. It's a good quest plus you get one of the best and most interesting party members in the game. "
    I disagree. The price is absolutely insane. 1200 points for a party member (regardless of opinion on how lame or interesting it may be) is simply not worth it.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By AndrewB

Not really. Shale and Shale's quest are okay, but not needed. The Warden's Keep is a short and disappointing side-story with a ton of same-old combat. Return to Ostagar is pretty much the same, with a fight with a bunch more darkspawn which you're probably already bored of by the end of the main game, with a snippet of story that is foreshadowing to the upcoming expansion pack. I think Dragon Age is a game hardly lacking in content to begin with, and all the stuff you're buying with the DLC is basically a few extra and unnecessary items and a somewhat artificial extension of game hours.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Looking back at my time withe the DLC (the little there was), my answer is straight up "no". It's absolutely not worth it. I just hope the expansion will, you know, actually expand the game.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By lazyturtle

The Stone Prisoner is not worth any amount of $. Theres a reason it came for free with the game. I bought Wardens Keep, but have yet to play. I've heard return to Otown isn't worth the $.

Jekaboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jekaboom

I purchased Wardens Keep and have the Stone Prisoner came with the game itself.
    At first I was very positive about the Stone Prisoner quest, but this quickly changed when I saw how "shallow" everyhting is set in place.

Same goes with Wardens Keep: The intro when you first visit the Keep is amazing, and I was hoping for about 2 hours of interesting lore and story blackflashes, telling me (perhaps even play the flashbacks) about old Grey Wardens, taking part in one of their larger battles, what ever... and what you get.. well, no spoilers but its anything else but not what I hoped for. The armor given is quite ok though.

Conclusion: Do not buy the Warden Keep or Stone Prisoner DLCs except if you really want to have the new armor, character (which is not really needed) or achievement on your account. You're basically paying just for that, the "story"/location is a mere placeholder that make the armor available and pop your achievement. I can't speak of Return to Ostagar, as I did not fall for this trick a second time. Boooo Bioware!

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Venatio

The DLC for Dragon Age is terrible, wait for Awakening

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

The Shale DLC is money well spent I'd say and besides the blood dragon armor I haven't tryed anything else. Though they don't look to be all too fantastic speaking for Wardens and Ostogar, only if your in dire need for a little more Dragon Age, and therefore is too impatient for Awakening.
    Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Enigmatical

If you want to know what happens during "Return to Ostogar," just watch the Quick Look the guys made of it.  30-35 minutes tops, and I think it easily over half of the DLC.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Shaanyboi

Get Return to Ostagar if you're more in the middle of the game.  
     Warden's Keep for sure.

Shale, you should have gotten a code if you bought the game new.  I wouldn't say the price is worth it though unless you want a good elemental warrior.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ArchScabby
    @Shaanyboi:  yeah I did get Shale for free,  I forgot to register my game and redeem my codes, that's why I didn't have it before.
    Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Shaanyboi

With the other stuff, I'd say it's really up to you.  If you enjoy the game enough that you want more of it, pick it up.  It's more Dragon Age.  If you see value in afew more quests, power to ya, go for it.  I got the game at 40 bucks during a holiday sale and picked up all the DLC, including Awakening.  More DA:O sounds good to me.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrOldboy

I might get wardens keep, sadly I bought it on the 360 but switched to pc. Bought it used so not dlc.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dark_Jon

I think the only thing that is worth it is Shale. Shale is awesome.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Teran

The DLC is a bit on the short side so the value depends on how much you enjoy the game.  I loved it and it was my goty last year so the dlc was worth the price for me but a lot of folks didn't get the same levle of enjoyment out of the game.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By jadegl

To me Shale was worth it for early game stuff and became less useful as the game progressed.

I used Shale a lot in the first half of the game especially. After I got more characters and started really finding my groove I stopped using Shale altogether. I tended to run with Morrigan for offensive magic, Wynne for healing, Alistair as my tank, and my character as a archer/duel wielding rogue. Shale just doesn't really fit in when you get the other characters, I find, especially since you get three other tank characters with better abilities, imho.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Thought I would bump this for everyone.  

I'm nearing the end of Dragon Age: Origins and I only have Shale and Blood Dragon armor DLC. 

Can anyone recommend the other DLC for me?

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By briggs713

Stone Prisoner I felt was worth it (although it came with the game).  I also had a ton of fun with Awakenings.  I don't know about the other 3 or so.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Warden's Keep is a pretty fun and good if you're into Grey Warden lore, you also get a nice set of armour and the chance to craft a kickass sword.

Return to Ostagar isn't much fun in my opinion since you've already been there and there isn't much to find out lorewise. However the King's armour and Duncan's swords are amongst the best in the game if you like that kind of thing.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I don't actually think that the warden's keep is worth the money.  I'd say just go onto the bioware social site and download a couple of cool looking mods.  There are a couple that are well worth your bandwidth. 

But if you don't have Shale you should definitely make great efforts to get him.  He's a great character, I'd say as good as HK-47, but that's just me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.