Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Is the gore in Dragon Age too far over the top for you to enjoy the game?

• 61 results
    theWarren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By theWarren
    @ahaisthisourchance said:
    " You can turn off the gore in the options menu if you think it's a bit too much "
    I did not know this, that's good news.  I think the use of blood and the Marilyn Manson really killed this game for me, then hearing the Baldur's Gate talk has got me back into it.  Like the OP i have a sensitive wife and stuff like that doesn't fly.
    bradgrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By bradgrace
    @theWarren said:
    " @ahaisthisourchance said:
    " You can turn off the gore in the options menu if you think it's a bit too much "
    I did not know this, that's good news.  I think the use of blood and the Marilyn Manson really killed this game for me, then hearing the Baldur's Gate talk has got me back into it.  Like the OP i have a sensitive wife and stuff like that doesn't fly. "
    There's no Marilyn Manson in the actual game, that was just a trailer. The game itself is all very Baldurs Gate/KOTOR/Neverwinter Nights in presentation, just with some blood splatters.

Just a question, though... why does it matter if your wife is too sensitive to like the game? She's not the one playing it. I'm not trying to sound like the misogynistic bro here, I'm genuinely asking: shouldn't you be allowed to play what you want to play, without getting your wife's consent? It's not like you're taking her to a movie that she's forced to watch with you. It's a video game that you yourself sit and play, and she can do something else.

Does she also not like you reading Hamlet around the house? There's a lot of gore in that, too.
    vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By vendetta

Doesn't bother me at all. I'll never get tired of discussing the intricacies religion with a blood-splattered party member.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Phished0ne said:
    " My only problem is that some people cry for " more realistic looking gore" but don't take into account that you couldn't cut someone's head off with one fell swoop from a sword.  I think if a game really wanted to have realism it should make you actually work for your gore, if you really want to decapitate someone you should have to stand over their dead carcas and chop at it for 5 minutes.  "

Lol, that myth is busted.

If that was true, I kinda imagine duders cursing because an axe got stuck into their enemy's neck. "OH SHIT! Someone chop it from the other side!"

theWarren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By theWarren

I realize there's no Marilyn Manson in the game, it's just the use of it for the trailers just made me sigh and say to myself "Trying too hard". 

As for the wife situation, i play my games in the same room as she does her hobbies.  Many times we're doing our own hobbies at the same time.  I prefer not having to defend what i'm doing all the time when she looks at me and sighs or  says things like "Our son better never see this".  It's a point of contention that i'd rather avoid if possible.  It makes life easier.

bradgrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By bradgrace

I can understand making compromises in relationships, I've had to make many myself, and it never really bothered me. But for something like video games, to me, is about personal enjoyment; and I wouldn't ever censor my own entertainment for another person's sake just because they'll "look at me and sigh." I'd move to a different room, or have them move, if it bothers them so much.

But maybe I'm just biased. I was an English Literature major, so I like my stuff gritty and uncensored, and I hate it when people get all stuffy and defensive about what could be a great story.

theWarren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By theWarren

But i'm not asking them to censor the story, just the buckets of blood.  The fact like Dragon Age lets you cut it out (as did Brutal Legend and MGS4) shows that they realize that people like options.  Some just want all the gore they can get ( work with a guy that is a gore fiend) and others can take it or leave it.  It's not that i hate gore or blood in video games, it's just that it seems unnecessary.  Like when people said they wanted more swearing and violence in Mass Effect.  I found it ridiculous because the swearing and violence worked for the story they had there, anymore and it would be pandering.  I'm sure Dragon Age has a great story, so what does the copious amounts of blood do to enhance that story? 

Just my thoughts, not trying to start a "thing"

ZheGypsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ZheGypsi

I think it works. Not a big fan of overly explicit stuff, but it definitely goes with the atmosphere from what I've seen.

zombie_stik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By zombie_stik

So far from what I've seen it looks to be just the right amount . Not too much for me
    Ooame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Ooame

I'm offended that there isn't more blood in this game.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By spaceturtle

Gore is good!

Btw, (random) Pettah er støgg dritt!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.