Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Should I play Dragon Age: Origins before playing Dragon Age II?

• 63 results
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Snail

I recently committed to playing 23 games that the Giant Bomb community would suggest to me. Among the suggestions imparted lies Dragon Age II. Now, as the title to this thread makes clear, I've never played Dragon Age: Origins Given that I thought there was a plot disconnect between that game and its prequel, I didn't give much

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Snail

I recently committed to playing 23 games determined by members of the Giant Bomb community. Among the suggestions imparted lies Dragon Age II. Now, as the title to this thread makes clear, I've never played Dragon Age: Origins. There was a user in that thread that suggested I should play DA:O before its sequel. I was wondering what the general opinion is.

• Is it really one of those things that's practically a requirement?
    • Is there a plot disconnect between the two games, or is it a continuous storyline akin to the one in the Mass Effect games?
    • I've read plenty throughout the internet about how a lot of people prefer the first game over the second one, and it's an almost unanimous opinion. Does this mean that if I play the second one first I'll have a better time with it?

Bottom line: will I enjoy DA2 less if I don't play the prequel first?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

You'd probably enjoy it more if you played it before Origins yes. Play DA2, then play Origins. It should help in showing you how vastly superior Origins is... or not. I know there are people who actually prefer DA2.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Snail

@Yummylee said:

You'd probably enjoy it more if you played it before Origins yes. Play DA2, then play Origins. It should help in showing you how vastly superior Origins is... or not. I know there are people who actually prefer DA2.

So there is no plot continuity from the first game to the second then?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

@Snail said:

@Yummylee said:

So there is no plot continuity from the first game to the second then?

Oh, sorry I admittedly glossed over some of your OP =X But no, not really. In fact DA2's first act is set an entire year after Origin's story and there's very little connection besides some references here and there.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yes, but only because Origins is a better game and it will help you understand why DAII is as derided as it is, additional enjoyment or no. You're totally fine from a plot perspective though, since Dragon Age II barely has anything to do with the first game besides being set in the same world and having a few cameos near the end.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By delorean99947

I'd say you would enjoy it less if you do play the first game. There is a plot disconnect, kind of. Still in the same universe, but it's all new characters except for two characters (which they made one of them an emo bitch, when in the last game, he was a funny guy). The only improvement in DA2 is combat, but the areas are so repetitive.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

@Yummylee said:

I just played them both in succession and honestly I find I prefer DA2 (not that I think that DA2 is a super fantastic game mind you, just better than Origins)

and OP, sure! I mean it's not gonna hurt, it's a good game and it does help fill in some of the weirder stuff of the setting that DA2 kinda glosses over a little bit (I'd recommend playing a mage in DA:O myself, it makes the most sense)

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By triple07

There is little plot continuity between the two. They are set in the same world but in different countries with a (mostly) new set of characters. There are references to Origins in 2 but its not required to play Origins first.

I'm someone who enjoyed Dragon Age 2 quite a bit despite its flaws but overall I think Origins is probably a better game even if 2 did things better than origins.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Animasta

@Yummylee said:

I just played them both in succession and honestly I find I prefer DA2 (not that I think that DA2 is a super fantastic game mind you, just better than Origins)

and OP, sure! I mean it's not gonna hurt, it's a good game and it does help fill in some of the weirder stuff of the setting that DA2 kinda glosses over a little bit (I'd recommend playing a mage in DA:O myself, it makes the most sense)

Graphically, 2 beats Origins but story-wise 2 is boring as shit and Origins is awesome. But I play those games for the story above all else.
    urpabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By urpabo

I recommend playing Dragon Age: Origins and then putting Dragon Age II in the garbage disposal. Let down of the decade for me.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WarlordPayne

The stories aren't really connected but Origins spends a lot more time explaining how the world of Dragon Age works, so you'll have a much better understanding of the ins and outs of the world in Dragon Age 2 if you play Origins first.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ajamafalous

You should play DA:O and then throw DA2 away.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Animasta

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Animasta

@Yummylee said:

Graphically, 2 beats Origins but story-wise 2 is boring as shit and Origins is awesome. But I play those games for the story above all else.

I do too, oddly enough! I just like DA2's story better and this is probably not a debate we should have in a topic with someone who has never played the games

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Animasta

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Animasta

@Yummylee said:

I do too, oddly enough! I just like DA2's story better and this is probably not a debate we should have in a topic with someone who has never played the games

Hey remember when Wrex flies a ship straight into Kirkwall and kills everyone? That was a good twist in the middle chapter.
    MrVideoGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrVideoGames

Dragon Age: Origins is the better all the way, way more interesting and they did a great job of capturing the feel of classic PC RPG.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Animasta

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Animasta

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Animasta

@Yummylee said:

Hey remember when Wrex flies a ship straight into Kirkwall and kills everyone? That was a good twist in the middle chapter.

my favorite part was when it was revealed that alistair was Revan

that was crazy right

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By nightriff

Depends on your taste of games but if you love DA:O, you will most likely hate DA2. I think most people will agree DA:O is the better overall game and while DA2 is a fine game, it took the franchise in a direction that I didn't want it to go in. That is why it is such a disappointment to a lot of people.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Milkman

Play Origins and then throw Dragon Age 2 in the fucking trash.

Crypt135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Crypt135

@ajamafalous said:

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By korwin

@Crypt135 said:

@ajamafalous said:

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Animasta

You should play both games and form your own opinions about both!

seriously you guys people are capable of getting entertainment out of mediocre games

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShadyPingu

There's very little connection between the two from a narrative standpoint, so no, playing Origins isn't necessary. But you should play Origins anyway. 'Cause it's pretty good.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By MetalBaofu

Dragon Age 2 hate is something I will never understand. I enjoyed them both pretty equally. The complaints I always see against Dragon Age 2, while I understand and agree with some of them, are not things that make the game anywhere close to horrible for me.

That being said, you should definitely play Origins, but story/plot wise it doesn't really matter in what order you play them. As others said, you will miss out on some referential stuff, but nothing major.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Animasta

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Animasta

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Animasta

@Yummylee said:

my favorite part was when it was revealed that alistair was Revan

that was crazy right

See that must have been determined by your choices because, for me, Alistair unzipped his flesh suit and revealed himself as Sonic The Hedgehog.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By shiftymagician

@Animasta said:

You should play both games and form your own opinions about both!

seriously you guys people are capable of getting entertainment out of mediocre games

Best advice in the thread right here.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By vaiz

I'd recommend you play Origins first. A lot of people, including myself, consider it the superior game, both mechanically and story-wise. Origins is also a much more rewarding time sink. In my opinion, playing it first does make 2 more enjoyable, if only because the times it does have callbacks to Origins, you'll be properly excited about it. Also there may or may not be events towards the end of DA2 that tie it back to the original game.

Also play origins first because, if you then decide you don't want to play both of them, you played the better game at least.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#28  Edited By KillyDarko

You should play Dragon Age: Origins and then probably not even bothering playing Dragon Age 2.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy

I would just not play DA2 altogether. What a literal waste of money that game was.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By Giantstalker

Do not wa

Sorry, let me try that again.

Do not waste your time with Dragon Age II.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31  Edited By Castiel

You shouldn't play DA2... at all! No one should. Ever. Never ever.

Never

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By emem

Just like everyone else already said, you pretty much have to play the first game, it's what made that franchise special. Anyway, it's your decision and if you decide to play Origins (first), which you really should consider, play the PC version if you can... it's just my opinion, but I think the controls are really clunky with a controller. When you play the PC version you can also put it on casual difficulty (or maybe even normal, but it gets crazy hard) and play everything in real-time without ever pausing the game for a more "actiony" experience.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By sjupp

@ajamafalous said:

Recall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Recall

@Milkman said:

Play Origins and then throw Dragon Age 2 in the fucking trash.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PolygonSlayer

I would recommend playing Dragon Age: Origins, then to NOT play Dragon Age 2.

DA2 is a terrible, terrible game IMO.

Edit: I should add though, that if you are playing DA2 then do not play DAO first. There is a "continuation" from the first game, but nothing matters in DA2 really so if your doing this because of some list or whatever, just play DA2 and try and go through it as fast as possible. Just don't do any side stuff, put it on easy and just get it out of the way.

Then.. at some later stage when you wanna play the real Dragon Age and have plenty of time to spare.. then pop Dragon Age: Origins into whatever system and enjoy it.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Funkydupe

Also, play Dragon Age: Origins on Hard. If you play it on Normal it'll be too easy for most players. I really liked Origins.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ghostiet

It's not necessary, but play both. Origins is a very good game - flawed, but the flaws are less obvious and stand-out than DA2's.

@Funkydupe said:

Also, play Dragon Age: Origins on Hard. If you play it on Normal it'll be too easy for most players. I really liked Origins.

Nothing is hard about Origins if you have a mage. I enjoyed Origins a lot, but that game's wizards are fucking overpowered. Arcane Warrior + Blood Mage is a good way to break your game.

One of the things I liked about DA2 was them fixing the balance of mages, which would fix the combat system if not for the spawning enemies.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sbaitso

As has been stated, Play DA:O, and then play it's dlc/expansion. Also, game can totally be broken, which makes for some fun second play through action.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Terramagi

DA:O is one of the best games in the last decade.

DA2 not only shits on its legacy, but heralded the end of Bioware as a company.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@Crypt135 said:

@ajamafalous said:

This. DA2 was a hunk of shit.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By alexl86

For the pittance you can get DA2 for these days, it's worth it. However, Origins is a better game and if the choice was between the two, I'd take Origins in a heartbeat.

To be fair, I'll say I like the combat in DA2 better, and I think it handled leveling/abilities better too. But I thought the best thing about Origins was the scope of the story, an epic scope that is completely missing from DA2. The characters are much better, though I think since Hawke has a voice, s/he's a more compelling protagonist than the Warden.

Origins is better and if you want an RPG that harkens back to the CRPGs of the late 90's, then play Origins. There are a few instances where the impact of your choices in Origins are shown in DA2, but it's never significant (some characters show up who might otherwise be dead, or people hail a different person as king, that sort of thing).

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#42  Edited By Soap

Play Origins and then don't play 2. It's not a terrible game, but it doesn't live up to the standards set by 1.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By viking_funeral

I'd echo everyone else's statements in saying play DA:O and forget about DA2, but if you really want to play DA2, don't play the original. You'll enjoy DA2 less, because you'll see how good the game it came from was.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jack268

You shouldn't play DA2

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By endaround

Play DA:O on a PC. The difficulty difference between teh consoel version and PC version is night and day. The encounter design early on in DA:O is great but the doesn't keep up throughout the game and isn't really on the console side at all. Its close to IWD in setting up enemies through chapter 1.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Eaxis

Play Origins.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DeF

@Snail: I can't pick any of the options. I have enjoyed both games independently of each other. Many who hate DA2 hate it because of how it differs from DA:O. Taken on its own merit, DA2 still has problems (the horrible location re-using being the most obvious) offers a lot of interesting stuff. You don't need to play DA:O, the story is not really connected. Importing a save, however, brings the world state over from DA:O and the decisions you've made. I found that it enriched the story quite a bit. But again, you don't need to. Depending on how you would like DA:O, you may or may not like DA2 less, that is really impossible to predict. You will find flaws but it really hinges on your approach to the game if come out of it raging like a maniac or just looking at what's there. That partially sounds like option D but I wouldn't necessarily go as far to say that it is recommended. Maybe it's more interesting if you play them the other way around. DA2 first and then DA:O?

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By altairre

You should play Origins, period.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hitchenson

Play Origins, never play II.

07ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By 07ron

Play them both but play Origins first.

You can't form your own opinion without playing both games.

Having said that, Origins is the superior title.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.