Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 27, 2004

The eighth main entry in the Dragon Quest franchise. It was the first game in the series to utilize a full 3D environment and featured a cel-shaded graphics style which would become standard for all future games in the franchise.

Would you buy a high-def remake of DQVIII?

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Poll Would you buy a high-def remake of DQVIII? (116 votes)

yes 70%
    NEVER! 9%
    I'd rather have a new entry in the series 22%

I know this probably won't happen, but I'd like to see Dragon Quest VIII get remade for the PS4. I go back to this game on PS2 every once in a while and I still love running around in its world, but I find myself wanting to see it in HD. The design of everything was perfect--from landscape and architecture to lighting--this was one of the best looking environments anyone created on the PS2. I don't think they need to change anything, but I think this game could benefit a lot from the same kind of graphical treatments the Wind Waker got.

This doesn't mean I wouldn't like another "classic" DQ game. I didn't play IX because it was only on handhelds and I like the look of X but not too interested in MMOs, but another entry like VIII on current-gen would be a must-buy for me. Until that happens a HD VIII would be perfect.

• 
    Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sure, I would buy it on XONE.

Although I'd rather Dragon Warrior 1 get re-made, so its whatever I guess.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes, and I am still waiting for that 3DS remake of VII to make its way over here.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By EuanDewar

Yeah, I remember I bought it when it came out cause it got great reviews but I was like 10 at the time and my patience for RPGs that weren't Final Fantasy was pretty short. Would love to give it another chance.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I sure would. It's still on my backlog, so having a prettier version of it would probably get me to play it.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By morningstar

Nah. It still looks plenty good.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it's one of my favourite games of all time.

You should really play IX too, that game has a ton of content and is really fun.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By Slag

I'd rather have a new one or see the Vii port make it over here.

I got all I wanted out of Viii and frankly the game is probably one of the very few from the PS2 era that would not look a whole lot better today.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

Yup. I remember trying it back in the day on my PS2 and really enjoying it but I got distracted by other stuff and never went back. If they did a $20 remake I would buy it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Hunter5024

Probably. Idk if that game would look much better with a remake though, it's still pretty good looking. Also I doubt I'd play through it again even if I did buy it. I would rather they made a new proper console game.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheBlue

Hell yeah I would. The chances are a little unlikely though as they just ported it to phones in Japan. I would take the DQ7 3DS remake though over it. That and FF12 HD and I could probably die happy.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Seppli

I own the game on PS2. For some reason I never got around to finishing it. I can't recall why. I liked it well enough. I guess I'd give the HD revision a go, if I'd find the time for it. I'd likely not find the time for it though. And it's not going to happen anyways, or is it?

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd buy an HD remake for Ps3 or make it a classic

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Justin258

I've been thinking about getting it and playing it on an emulator recently. I've never played it before and it seems like a fairly good old-school JRPG.

Also, people keep calling for an FF12 HD edition, and I am always for that.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: I've played it on pcsx2, but haven't tried cranking up the resolution. It looks pretty damn good:

Loading Video...

I should play FF12 again. I liked it a lot but got sidetracked somewhere in the middle, and never finished. I still have the FF12 demo disk in my DQVIII case.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By ch3burashka

Maybe I'm a complete idiot, but I could never even get to the first "cave" they referenced because I would die in the first few battles and have no heal/regen items.

Like I said, I'm probably a dumbass, but I didn't care or like it enough to fix that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I liked the game quite a bit, and it certainly looks great, but I don't see HD doing a lot for it. I thought Tales of Symphonia looked good back when it came out, and there's and HD version of that now that looks maybe a little sharper, but not really enough to justify buying it again, although some of the content that wasn't in the GCN version interests me. So, I probably wouldn't buy and HD remake of DQVIII solely for the HD, even if it has a more substantial do-over, like Winder Waker.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would buy a Vita version of it. I tried to complete it twice and would always get to the final stretch and just stop, so i would love to complete it without hooking up the old ps2. Id settle for DQ8 and Rogue Galaxy just being ps2 classics on the store.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah running it on an emulator looks pretty nice, the graphics scale quite well thanks to the amazing art. A proper HD remake would only address the low res text, unless it was a complete re-make. Since I have completed the game 100% on PS2 I think I would rather another DQ entry. That being said I love DQVIII.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hell yeah, DQ VIII is one of the best RPG's ever made if you ask me. If you took the random encounters out of it, I think it'd be near perfect. I doubt that would happen in a remaster, though.

I'd prefer them to make a fully 3D DQ XI on modern consoles, but that will never happen again.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: One of VIII's biggest faults is its first hour or so if you ask me. It's boring and hilariously grindy. Not exactly something you want in the beginning of your game. It definitely picks up after that, but the grindy stuff never really lets up. Or maybe I just sucked!

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

DQVIII is an excellent game, and yet I have simply no desire to play it again. I probably wouldn't buy a remake. Would totally love a new single player Dragon Quest on PS4/Xbwan/WiiU, though.

GearSol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have to play it first to actually give an honest opinion here, since even though I played the demo, liked it, and was really looking forward to it, for some reason I just never played it. But even still, I do feel like there are some older games that look pretty good still. There are certain art styles that just work, even after aging some.

I guess I'll just have to hook my PS2 up and play it.

@cmblasko: I'm still waiting for the 3DS versions of DQM I & II to come over...

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably, i bought it around when it came out and never played it then, so it would be a good reason to actually start it now and get it off my backlog.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DQVIII already looks really good, don't really need another one but it would be good for people that haven't played it.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Remake or a hd re-release? doesn't need any remake to be honest. Wind Waker didn't even need that treatment in my opinion nor does DQVIII.

In any case you can play on iOS/Android with better resolution and a few improvements as long as you don't mind the lack of voice acting and orchestral score. No updated textures though :/

Needs a new console/PC re-release though.

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CDUB901

@edsone said:

Remake or a hd re-release? doesn't need any remake to be honest. Wind Waker didn't even need that treatment in my opinion nor does DQVIII.

In any case you can play on iOS/Android with better resolution and a few improvements as long as you don't mind the lack of voice acting and orchestral score. No updated textures though :/

Needs a new console/PC re-release though.

Speaking of that iOS/Android port, how is it? Has anyone else here played it? I'm interested in it, but not sure if there are any downsides to playing this version over just digging out my PS2 and finally playing DQVIII. Also, how are the controls? The description said something about a one handed mode.

Buying a $20 game for my phone still seems real weird to me and Square loves charging a premium for all their games on phones.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Karkarov

I would buy it if it happened. The game itself like the video shows is awesome upscaled already. It just needs menu/ui fixes. It wouldn't even take a ton of work. It is still the best DQ ever made and the more recent entries are all hand held, we need a return to a classic console DQ and plenty of people never got to play this one to begin with.

I will make one edit... all the recent entries are all handheld, or just never leave japan ;p.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No it looks pretty nice already. I never actually finished that game. It is pretty much the only JRPG I have ever played but I got up to the part where the dog takes the staff and become evil and then lost interest.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By edsone

@cdub901: it's only portrait mode but it actually gives a pretty good view. Doesn't cut the ps2 field of vision, only gives more vertically. It's easy to play one-handed. It's more of a port of the Japanese version so no voice acting and no orchestral score as I mentioned. Controls are fine when you get used to it. The menus are more easily accessible but could've looked better to fit with the game's design as in the ps2 version. Besides that it runs well but an old phone can make it a bit choppy at times. I tested on a old Galaxy SII too just to check that. It's got a quick save option too and a auto run outside town if needed. I wasn't sure at first but I believe now I'd rather play this version the go back to the ps2 one. Looks really sharp too even if it uses the same old textures. There are other minor gameplay improvements but nothing major. I heard a lot of whining of this port and I was pleasantly surprised when I finally got to play it.

I guess it's more about how much you miss the voice acting and the controller.

The price should be lower but at least you know you'll be playing for around 80 hours, possibly more so it doesn't hurt that much.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best Dragon Quest. Though I haven't played 9, I doubt it compares. The whole series is mostly good, but VIII is unequivocally the most well-paced and well-balanced JRPG I've ever played, and I've played a boatload of JRPGs. And it's got a competently written, enjoyable story that never takes itself too seriously, unlike many others *coughFFXIIItrilogycough* do. I'd buy it and spend another 120 hours on it in a heartbeat.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably not, but only because I don't have time to devote to a game that long.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not at full pop, but haven't played it before so I wouldn't mind giving it a whirl.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would prefer to have a new one.

VIII is probably one of the best JRPGs I have ever played, so I would welcome a reedition, but I can't think how it can be made to look better.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been thinking about getting it and playing it on an emulator recently. I've never played it before and it seems like a fairly good old-school JRPG.

Also, people keep calling for an FF12 HD edition, and I am always for that.

Now this is what I really want, if they released an HD remake of Final Fantasy 12 I would be so happy. 12 is one of my favourite Final Fantasies.

As for a DQ8 remake, I would maybe pick it up if they released one. I never did get around to finishing it on PS2.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EXTomar

Not without a "Super Fast" option to let animation and text move very quickly if not instantly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I might be in the minority but it was my favorite Dragon Quest and I wouldn't mind playing a remake if it added some new content.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my favorite JRPGs of all time. A great blend of interesting characters, beautiful visuals, an epic story, and engaging side quests.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.