Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Bethesda screwed teh pooch...so I might actully enjoy this game

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

After playing TES: Skyrim that is annoyingly busted, I want something else...something that is different. While the concept of an open world "seems" appealing, the reality is there are too many strings attached to that model. The sort of engine needed...does not exist (or Bethesda cannot make it), and there seems to be no way to make a tight story or provide visceral game play when everything has to be so open.

Therefore, I am now looking forward to Dragon's Dogma simple because it WON'T/CAN'T be like a Bethesda game. The fact is I sort of liked Dragon Age...or got used to it...and I sort of like Dark Souls no nonsense gritty FU style. I did not think anything could top the way I felt about a TES game, but the reality is such games are really wearing thin for me. I think Japan is starting to get wise to the concept of a new type of RPG that is a hybrid of action/adventure. Japan might never understand a "shooter,” but they understand swords & magic. Moreover, as I said I really want a palette cleanser after many stale game experiences I have been having.

If there is one downside to the delay of new system it is that most developers are going to go back for a FOURTH major game on the systems. I think Dragons’ Dogma is small part what the game industry needs - new IPs to bridge the game between current-gen and next-gen. Heck, I would even be happy if it is a little bit typical just as long as “WHAT” it is somewhat unexpected to me.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JasonR86

I hate the way you write.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JonSmith

Might I suggest Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TentPole

I feel like you are far more interested in talking about Skyrim than you are Dragon's Dogma.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Andorski

The scattered chatter I have heard about this game through podcasts was that the game looks terrible. Cant remember who specifically said it, but someone comment that during a presentation of the game the developers spent a majority of the demo showing the character customization feature that wasn't even on par with the majority of modern western games.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp

You're crazy if you think there's going to be a gears 4 or uncharted 4 or a resistance 4

Next Gen consoles will be here soon enough.

And you're crazier if you think dragon's dogma can be better than skyrim

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By McShank

why does everyone keep saying Skyrim is broken? I have found only the random mammoth falling from the sky to its death, otherwise my game runs fine with no problems. I honestly think this is their best game launch Ever.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

Dragon's Dogma looks kinda generic. Also, Capcom. Yeah. Not the greatest of companies these days, kinda poor output.

And Japan hasn't made a good RPG for the PS3 or Xbox yet, so I dunno what you saying.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Doctorchimp

@MikkaQ said:

Dragon's Dogma looks kinda generic. Also, Capcom. Yeah. Not the greatest of companies these days, kinda poor output.

And Japan hasn't made a good RPG for the PS3 or Xbox yet, so I dunno what you saying.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls exist.

But Capcom being a company that promises a cool game and fudges it in incomprehensible avoidable ways is totally right.\

That company is turning to shit even though it has a lot of promise right now. They're in a good position and they keep taking people for granted.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if general bugginess is your main gripe, i don't think DD is gonna be any more polished - from what i've heard. something slightly different within the realms of a fantasy/'W'RPG though, perhaps

it's gonna be a good year anyway what with this and kingdoms of amalur and risen 2 all coming out

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Seppli

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

After playing TES: Skyrim that is annoyingly busted, I want something else...something that is different. While the concept of an open world "seems" appealing, the reality is there are too many strings attached to that model. The sort of engine needed...does not exist (or Bethesda cannot make it), and there seems to be no way to make a tight story or provide visceral game play when everything has to be so open.

Therefore, I am now looking forward to Dragon's Dogma simple because it WON'T/CAN'T be like a Bethesda game. The fact is I sort of liked Dragon Age...or got used to it...and I sort of like Dark Souls no nonsense gritty FU style. I did not think anything could top the way I felt about a TES game, but the reality is such games are really wearing thin for me. I think Japan is starting to get wise to the concept of a new type of RPG that is a hybrid of action/adventure. Japan might never understand a "shooter,” but they understand swords & magic. Moreover, as I said I really want a palette cleanser after many stale game experiences I have been having.

If there is one downside to the delay of new system it is that most developers are going to go back for a FOURTH major game on the systems. I think Dragons’ Dogma is small part what the game industry needs - new IPs to bridge the game between current-gen and next-gen. Heck, I would even be happy if it is a little bit typical just as long as “WHAT” it is somewhat unexpected to me.

You should be excited for Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning. Just sayin'. I predict it's going to be strawberry pie with applesauce and vanilla ice cream on the side. Sweet like honey!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Doctorchimp said:

@MikkaQ said:

But Capcom being a company that promises a cool game and fudges it in incomprehensible avoidable ways is totally right.\

That company is turning to shit even though it has a lot of promise right now. They're in a good position and they keep taking people for granted.

I would consider the Souls entries pure action games with XP and stats. There's no role playing, to me.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp

@MrKlorox said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@MikkaQ said:

I would consider the Souls entries pure action games with XP and stats. There's no role playing, to me.

If Final Fantasy XIII is an RPG, then Demon's Souls and Dark Souls where you make your character and decide how he functions in that world is definitely an RPG

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Doctorchimp said:

@MrKlorox said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@MikkaQ said:

If Final Fantasy XIII is an RPG, then Demon's Souls and Dark Souls where you make your character and decide how he functions in that world is definitely an RPG

By that criteria, Battlefield and COD are RPGs.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Doctorchimp

@MrKlorox said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@MrKlorox said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@MikkaQ said:

Not really?

You level up in multiplayer matches sure and rank up but the worlds you are in aren't persistent. But if you do something you aren't supposed to in the campaign it fails you...

Don't do the strawman thing, Final Fantasy XIII is an RPG why can't Dark Souls be an RPG.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Doctorchimp said:

@MrKlorox said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@MrKlorox said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@MikkaQ said:

Not really?

You level up in multiplayer matches sure and rank up but the worlds you are in aren't persistent. But if you do something you aren't supposed to in the campaign it fails you...

Don't do the strawman thing, Final Fantasy XIII is an RPG why can't Dark Souls be an RPG.

FF13 is only considered an "RPG" because the pedigree of the franchise. I wouldn't exactly call it one myself, though. I do not subscribe to the philosophy of 'if stats, then RPG' either.
    ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@McShank said:

I have found only the random mammoth falling from the sky to its death

"Raining mammoths" sounds like one of the most awesome bugs to have emerged from Skyrim.

Regarding Dragon's Dogma, I was able to play it during PAX. It seemed like a really odd game. The way it looked and controlled gave off the impression that Capcom's aiming for it to be their answer to Demon's/Dark Souls. They had two levels to play: a dungeon level that actually looked straight out of Demon's Souls and an open-area fight with a Dragon. I mostly played the Dragon fight sequence, and if you heard the Giant Bomb crew's impressions of the game during the E3 podcasts, I'd sadly have to say that at least most of that holds true. It just all felt rather janky. One of the big differences in the way Dragon's Dogma is played is that you run around with a party, which in the demo consisted of AI characters but I think can be filled with real people via online multiplayer like in Lost Planet 2. Take that for what you will.

One of the big problems, however, was that, at least in the demo, the AI didn't really seem to work incredibly well. One of the ways to attack the dragon is to be boosted into the air by one of your party members and grab onto the dragon. The issue with this is that the AI engages in the assist stance itself (prompted by a funny little action-stopping cutscene in which the party member proclaims something that lets you know that "I CAN GIVE YOU A BOOST NOW!" - this played out every single time, and similar cutscenes would also happen when other party members would do their respective special attacks). What this results in is the party member being nowhere near the dragon when he/she engages in the assist stance, so you are hurled into the air with no dragon on which to grab. It was kinda messed up.

As for the dungeon level, I didn't play too much of it, but I switched to the other scenario when I was grabbed by a flying gargoyle demon thing, which proceeded to fly me up into the air and drop me, effectively killing me with the fall. Not too great.

I really hope that Capcom is able to pull this game together in the end, what with it being their largest (and no doubt most expensive) production to date. If this game is at least slightly successful, maybe that will inspire Capcom to do something other than releasing the same games over and over and over and over and over again.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @McShank said:

why does everyone keep saying Skyrim is broken? I have found only the random mammoth falling from the sky to its death, otherwise my game runs fine with no problems. I honestly think this is their best game launch Ever.

Because the people who do get the glitches do tend to blow them out of perportion and not wait for patches. 
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MikkaQ said:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Now don't you ever say that again! : (

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By onyxghost

Guess I'm lucky as hell. I played 40 plus hours of Skyrim off the disc and declined the patches. I still haven't run into a glitch yet. I hear everyone bitch but, haven't seen one yet. Skyrim is the best game this year. Dragons Dogma looks like an abortion. Dark Souls is well made for what it is. Dragon age was excellent but, mad linear.

Neeshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Neeshka

Anything like this for the PC ?

I was really disappointed with skyrim for various reasons and I'm looking for a strong RPG something along the lines of either baldur's gate 2, dragon age 1, deus ex hr or even mass effect.

Good gameplay, combat and a semi-decent challenge level are a must.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

@Cloudenvy: Bah Valkyria Chronicles is an RPG as much as Mass Effect is a shooter. The mechanics are there, but the core of the gameplay is elsewhere.

Resonance of Fate just wasn't my thing.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#23  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Neeshka: I'm not going to lie. You having Viconia as your avatar but Neeshka as your username made me do a double take.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By BaneFireLord
    @Neeshka said:

I was really disappointed with skyrim for various reasons and I'm looking for a strong RPG something along the lines of either baldur's gate 2, dragon age 1, deus ex hr or even mass effect.

Have you tried The Witcher?
    Neeshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Neeshka

@BaneFireLord said:

@Neeshka said:

yep loved it

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Neeshka said:

@BaneFireLord said:

@Neeshka said:

yep loved it

Then get ready for Amalur when it drops in February.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By laserbolts
    @McShank

While I am fortunate enough to have not experienced any bugs in Skyrim I do understand that some people have. It seems alot of people have had some real shitty bugs while playing so that is why they say it is broken. This thread seems like it was made to just try and shit on Bethesda and Skyrim instead of hyping up dragons dogma.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.