The DualShock 4 wiki last edited by Lord_Xp on 02/24/13 03:27PM
View full history
The DualShock 4 controller is Sony's first significant redesign since the DualShock launched in 1997 as an updated controller for the original PlayStation. Sticking with the overall basic form factor, the DualShock 4 is a slightly larger, more ergonomic iteration on its predecessor. New features include a textured underside to improve grip, reshaped L2 and R2 buttons that better resemble analog triggers, reshaped left and right analog sticks that are concave on the top, a capacitive touch pad located where the start and select buttons were in previous versions, an in-built mono speaker, a headset jack, and a Move-styled, multicolor light bar. It has a built-in Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with 1000mAh (tentative) capacity.
- Two analog sticks (Improved fidelity and materials over the DualShock 3)
- Pressure sensitive, four button D-pad
- Traditional Δ, ☐, O, X face buttons
- Two analog shoulder buttons (L1, R1)
- Two analog triggers (L2, R2)
- Face mounted 2-point clickable capacitive touch pad
- Two digital face buttons (Share, Options)
- Six-axis motion sensing (newly built high precision sensors)
- Headset jack (mono headset will be bundled with PS4)
The DualShock 4 has an in-built mono speaker "to deliver high-fidelity sound effects" from the controller and a 3 color LED light bar similar to the orb found in the PlayStation Move.
LED Light bar
The top mounted color light bar on the DualShock 4 can identify different controllers during local multiplayer sessions and change color dynamically to provide useful information to players, such as glowing red to indicate they've taken damage.
The DualShock 4 also works alongside the PlayStation 4 Eye, another peripheral which can "sense the depth of the environment in front of it and also track the 3D location of the controller via its light bar."
The DualShock 4 utilizes Bluetooth 2.1+EDR to communicate with the PlayStation 4. It also has a Micro-USB (Micro-B) port to communicate and charge.
*Specifications are subject to change without notice.