Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dust 514

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 14, 2013

DUST 514 was a free-to-play, persistent-world online competitive shooter focused on intense infantry combat augmented by powerful vehicles. It was set in and directly connected to the thriving player driven MMO universe of EVE Online.

Dust 514 and Planetside 2

Thunderducky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Thunderducky

So I'm looking forward to Dust as a way to interact with the EVE universe. I was a little bummed to see that it looks to be a PS3 exclusive, (only a little, I have a PS3). So I tried to figure out why. Turns out, Sony Online Entertainment is pushing a very similar game called Planetside 2. They're both free to play shooters with persistence and some RTS elements, and I wouldn't be surprised if the two get completed around the same time. Personally I'm way more interested in the EVE universe than the Planetside one. Maybe they'll eventually get Dust on the PC, but for now, looks like I'll have to pull my PS3 back out of the closet. What do you guys think about this?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I think it's confusing. Why would SONY push two different games on the two platforms rather than making it one multiplatform game? Since they seem so similar, I mean. 
    Anyway, shooting with a controller is my idea of torture, so I'm going with PS2 on PC.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

@AhmadMetallic said:

I think it's confusing. Why would SONY push two different games on the two platforms rather than making it one multiplatform game? Since they seem so similar, I mean. Anyway, shooting with a controller is my idea of torture, so I'm going with PS2 on PC.

That's not confusing at all, the PC market and the Console market for free to play shooters has relatively little overlap. People play the platform most of their friends are on. Dust is really just meant to funnel console players towards Eve.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pinworm45

I'm going with Planetside Two, since that series actually makes sense, and follows the logic that you should release your sequel on the same platform type as the original. You know. UNLIKE FUCKING DUST 514.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai

@AhmadMetallic said:

I think it's confusing. Why would SONY push two different games on the two platforms rather than making it one multiplatform game? Since they seem so similar, I mean. Anyway, shooting with a controller is my idea of torture, so I'm going with PS2 on PC.

Well CCP is only using the PS3 as a platform. Sony is not even publishing that game, CCP is, so they don't have any ownership over it but I'm sure they gave CCP some money to making it PS3 exclusive. Planetside 2 on the other hand is developed and published by SOE. My understanding was that CCP wanted Dust 514 on the 360 but they closed nature of XBL was hampering them and MS would not relent when they approached them so CCP canned that whole version. As far as a PC version then I'm sure they first want to test the waters with a console version before they see if a PC is wanted. Could also be that Sony has a time exclusive on that IP.

I am interested in both games and having a PC and a PS3 would allow me to enjoy both.

@Pinworm45 said:

I'm going with Planetside Two, since that series actually makes sense, and follows the logic that you should release your sequel on the same platform type as the original. You know. UNLIKE FUCKING DUST 514.

Unless said game is not really a squeal but more like an extension of said game- universe that allows players to explore it from a different point of view. Nice try though.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pinworm45

@mordukai said:

@Pinworm45 said:

Unless said game is not really a squeal but more like an extension of said game- universe that allows players to explore it from a different point of view. Nice try though.

se·quel

[see-kwuhl] Show IPA

noun1.aliterarywork,movie,etc.,thatiscompleteinitselfbutcontinuesthenarrativeofaprecedingwork.

2.aneventorcircumstancefollowingsomething;subsequentcourseofaffairs.

As if the linguistic semantics mattered at all, you're wrong anyway.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By EchoEcho

@Pinworm45: So I suppose Knights of the Old Republic is a sequel to the Star Wars movies, and therefore should have been a movie? Or perhaps it was a sequel to the Star Wars novels -- which themselves should have been movies because they are sequels to the movies -- and therefore KotOR should have been a novel that should have been a movie?

If you want to get angry because DUST isn't on the PC, then fire away. But do it without formulating bullshit logic in an attempt to make your anger seem justified on more than a personal level.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Jams

Is Planetside 2 going to be a PS3 game as well as PC? That would make more sense since Ps2 is developed by and published by Sony.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mordukai

@Jams said:

Is Planetside 2 going to be a PS3 game as well as PC? That would make more sense since Ps2 is developed by and published by Sony.

I would be extremely surprised if Planetside 2 will end up being on PS3. I really don't think they would be able to just downgrade the game and port it onto the PS3 hardware. If Planetside 2 will have a PS3 version then it would be a very different game then what it's going to be on the PS3. Just because it's SOE doesn't mean that it's also going to be on the PS3. If Planetside 2 will end up on consoles then more then likley that it's going to be on the PS4.

@Pinworm45: So just 'cause Dust 514 isn't a sequel means that it's less of a game? CCP have clearly stated that Dust 514 is just a means for console players to explore the Eve Online Universe. If your problems stem from Dust not being on PC then make that point. Don't just a BS attempt at voicing your frustration. Also, CCP never really said will not be on PC's. In fact, every time they get questioned about it then very carefully avoid answering it.

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By itsVASH

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EchoEcho

@AhmadMetallic said:

You'll be happy to know that DUST 514 will have USB mouse and keyboard support, then. But if you don't already own a PS3, then I guess it's a moot point.

: As to the OP and why Sony has both DUST 514 and PlanetSide 2 -- it has nothing to do with wanting to corner the market on MMOFPS games. CCP approached Microsoft about the game, but Microsoft's rigid policies won't allow them to connect DUST to EVE Online. Obviously that wasn't acceptable, since it's the number one key aspect of the game. Sony, on the other hand, was willing to accommodate them. It was always going to be a console game first and foremost, because that is what they wanted to make. The PS3-exclusive part, however, was simply due to Microsoft's refusal to make exceptions.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Jams said:

Not exactly, Sony is conglomerate rather than a monolithic corporation like Microsoft or Apple, meaning it's a collection of separate companies that do not necessarily coordinate everything. So Planetside is developed and published by Sony Online Entertainment, which is mostly focused on PC MMOs, while PlayStation is managed by Sony Computer Entertainment.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@Pinworm45 said:

@mordukai said:

@Pinworm45 said:

se·quel

[see-kwuhl] Show IPA

noun1.aliterarywork,movie,etc.,thatiscompleteinitselfbutcontinuesthenarrativeofaprecedingwork.

Not that you care but seeing as DUST would not work properly without EVE, and that there is no narrative, outside of the preexisting one EVE has, (not to mention there really is no narrative in EVE to begin with), also, if you take into account that the game takes place literally at the same time as EVE, it's more of a complement than a sequel.

com·ple·mentˈkämpləmənt

Noun:
    A thing that completes or brings to perfection.
    Verb:
    Add to (something) in a way that enhances or improves it; make perfect.
    Synonyms:
    noun. supplement - addition - adjunct
    verb. complete - supplement
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pinworm45

@mordukai@EchoEcho@BigChickenDinner said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@mordukai said:

@Pinworm45 said:

se·quel

[see-kwuhl] Show IPA

Not that you care but seeing as DUST would not work properly without EVE, and that there is no narrative, outside of the preexisting one EVE has, (not to mention there really is no narrative in EVE to begin with), also, if you take into account that the game takes place literally at the same time as EVE, it's more of a complement than a sequel.

com·ple·ment ˈkämpləmənt

Noun:
    A thing that completes or brings to perfection.
    Verb:
    Add to (something) in a way that enhances or improves it; make perfect.
    Synonyms:
    noun. supplement - addition - adjunct
    verb. complete - supplement

It's a million literary words, who gives a flying fuck? I'm not the one that made my entire case revolve around linguistic semantics, the guy who replied to me did. He called me on it, and I proved him wrong. He attacked one minor word in my post, made that his entire case, and it was wrong. Why would I not defend myself? How did that somehow turn into it being my single, sole argument or position? I even said in my reply linguistic semantics don't matter.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pinworm45

@mordukai said:

@Pinworm45: So just 'cause Dust 514 isn't a sequel means that it's less of a game? CCP have clearly stated that Dust 514 is just a means for console players to explore the Eve Online Universe. If your problems stem from Dust not being on PC then make that point. Don't just a BS attempt at voicing your frustration. Also, CCP never really said will not be on PC's. In fact, every time they get questioned about it then very carefully avoid answering it.

What are you even talking about? Who said anything about it being less of a game? Not to mention it was you who was trying to say it's not a sequel. And I DID make that point.. that's exactly what I said. This thread is about Dust and Planetside 2. I said I am getting Planetside 2, because Dust, unlike it's predecessor, is actually going to be on PC. Everything you are saying, is literally the exact opposite of what happened. I didn't "BS to voice my frustration", you were clearly frustrated for some reason I do not know, and went on about how the game isn't a sequel, which by definition, is. Now you're saying it's not, and that means it's "less of a game" somehow? No, it means I'm not getting it, because it's not on PC, which is what I said in my post, despite you saying " If your problems stem from Dust not being on PC then make that point. ". Are you on some serious drugs or something?

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Rohok

Planetside 2 is going to be a shitty, overly simplified and codified version of a game that was beautiful and amazing. Planetside 2 can suck my cock.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17  Edited By Hector

Anyone in the Beta?

I'll be playing this weekend. Here is my PSNtag. SigmaSpartan.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.