Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dying Light

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 27, 2015

Dying Light is a first-person, open world game set in a zombie apocalypse. The player character is able to free-run to get around the environment quickly.

Initial Impressions?

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys. This game has managed to pique my curiosity over the past couple of days, but there really aren't any "official" reviews in for this game yet. I'm not sure whether or not I want to buy it yet, so I want to know what you guys who have played it so far think about it. From what I can tell, it seems that the PC version is pretty poorly optimized, so I think I'm gonna get it on PS4 if at all. So what do you guys think? Thanks duders.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best looking game I have ever seen. The parkour is clunky and not natural feeling. Hopefully this will improve later in the game. Combat is average. But can somebody please tell me how you break a metal wrench on a skull? The story I really like. Be a zombie mode as of last night is broke. I could only connect twice and was almost instantly kicked out of both games. So far I am really liking it and cannot wait to explore more, expand my skills and finally go out at night. Good night & good luck.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Well I wrote a nice long impression until my iPad crashed so I'll sum up what I wanted to say.

The game is great so far. Story is surprisingly engaging with a nice little twist on standard zombie drama. After getting a few upgrades in the game the traversal and combat come into their own and make it just a hell of a lot of fun to play. Traversal is exilerating especially with the tense night chases and combat has a nice visercal feel to it. The game overal looks really excellent on ps4 and there have only been two sections where the frame rate has dropped slightly below 30, and even then only lasted for maybe a second. The only real visual gripes are the facial animations on minor characters and some standard open world janks.

Feel free to ask any questions, like I said I wrote a big ole thing and lost it all.... But overall I will say I am extremely impressed so far

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By handlas

@marcsman said:

Best looking game I have ever seen.

I wouldn't go that far but the game definitely looks good (I'm playing on Xbone). I've found it quite hilarious how many comments on the QL say how bad the game looks. People will just repeat whatever they hear. Rorie was crapping all over it for some reason. Game looks really nice. Especially when you are on the roof of the tower and can see the whole city. I'm not far in but the story starts off better than expected so I'm excited to keep playing.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Playing on the PS4. I think it looks great, the combat is somehow satisfying, (When not fighting humans) and i'm having a lot of fun with it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They may have mentioned this on the quick look, but was the game running at 720p resolution or did they record the QL in 720p? I'm just curious since Techland said they made the game run at 30FPS instead of 60FPS because they wanted full 1080p resolution. Not that it would affect my purchasing decision but kinda want to know.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NeoCalypso

I'm 11 hours in and yeah firstly I think the parkour becomes a lot more natural and enjoyable as you experience it. An important thing to keep in mind is that it's actually fairly important to use proper timing if you want to keep your flow. For example if you are running up on a waist high railing, depending on when you press jump you can either quickly mantle over it, jump over it entirely, or jump directly on it and then immediately jump off it for another height boost. It's a deceptively complex system.

Also just in case Brad and other people having trouble at night read this. Keep in mind that unless you actively make noise(via fighting or something) the viral things seriously cannot hear you. You can run within at least 10 feet of one no problem. I know it seems scary at night but as long as you keep moving you will be totally fine. They are fast on the ground so you don't wanna just run along the street, but they actually still climb significantly slower than you do so you can ditch them on the roofs very easily. I'm only level 11/11/10 and I've become completely comfortable at night because I realized it's not only easy to escape but it's even easier to not be detected at all. Also know that the firecrackers still work on those things when they are chasing you and that your flashlight has seemingly no effect on how well they see you.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I had close to zero interest in this game originally. But seeing videos of it I'm sorta on the fence about getting it. I'll probably wait a bit to see some final impressions of it. Like I enjoyed Dead Island to a certain degree but it was just so broken in some situations that it was hard to take it seriously at all. Then I felt like it was getting a little too "open world" for it's own good if that makes sense. Maybe that's a silly thing to say because at times Far Cry 3/4 had you going a little too far to get to waypoints but I was somehow more okay with it in those games. Not sure if anyone can address that issue for me since it's a fairly personal one.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh that's good to hear about the parkour.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As of right now I think it is a good game.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spraynardtatum
    Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Got it yesterday after early impression videos started coming out. It wasn't even on my radar before then.

Only played a few hours, but I feel like the more open world and movement makes the difference between me wanting to like Dead Island (which I barely touched), and actually liking Dying Light. That said, I am still way early in the game, so there is still plenty of opportunity for me to realize I hate it depending on how things develop.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

@marcsman said:

I wouldn't go that far but the game definitely looks good (I'm playing on Xbone). I've found it quite hilarious how many comments on the QL say how bad the game looks. People will just repeat whatever they hear. Rorie was crapping all over it for some reason. Game looks really nice. Especially when you are on the roof of the tower and can see the whole city. I'm not far in but the story starts off better than expected so I'm excited to keep playing.

Probably because it DOES look rough as well. I'm not one to complain about jaggies, but jesus I thought I was gonna get papercuts watching that videos. Jaggies everywhere. Thankfully I imagine the PC version looks much better so I can see the potential, at least.

Never bothered with Dead Island, but maybe I'll check this out.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handlas

@kishinfoulux said:

@handlas said:

@marcsman said:

Probably because it DOES look rough as well. I'm not one to complain about jaggies, but jesus I thought I was gonna get papercuts watching that videos. Jaggies everywhere. Thankfully I imagine the PC version looks much better so I can see the potential, at least.

Never bothered with Dead Island, but maybe I'll check this out.

Didn't notice any jaggies whilst playing myself. All I saw was "oh no so much film grain it looks so bad because of it." Barely notice that in game as well thus far. Dead Island had a weird dithering sort of effect when objects/textures got further away from you. Perhaps this game suffers from that as well... but not to the extent. I defintiely remember Dead Island was literally hard for me to look at for more than 10 minutes or so at a time.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

They mention a couple of times that they're capturing the game at 720, and it actually runs at 1080.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played couple hours last night. Its good. Frame rate is kinda weird. My CPU is showing its age. I5-2400 3.1 GHZ OC to 3.7, running with 8gb ram, and a 4gb 770 GTX. At 720p Im ranging from 60 fps, to low 20s. Low/mid 40s being the norm I think, but it still doesnt feel real smooth. Seems fine running straight ahead, but looking around too fast makes it feel really janky.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Sessh

I've played about 7-8 hours with a friend and it's pretty cool.

The parkour stuff gets better the more abilities you unlock and is actually also working quite well. The combat is okay (I miss the analogue combat) and the story/characters are just terrible (which was to be expected I guess, still sucks though). Overall it's definitely better than Dead Island.

Sadly there's a lot of technical issues, with the game having crashed 30+ times (on PS4) so far. I hope it's just launch time server woes, but who knows.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@sessh: 30 times? Holy shit, I've played 8 hours of it and haven't seen anything like that. Sounds like there is something corrupt there

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@sackmanjones: Yeah, it's ridiculous for me right now, but I've only been playing co-op so far and have never been the host, so like I said, I hope it's just the servers experiencing some problems. If that's not it, they need to patch this immediately.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@john1912: nah your CPU is fine assuming it's a quad core model, the port is a bit...weird, you should try setting view distance to lowest as it makes no noticeable difference but screws your framerate.

As for the game, I am tired of all these open world games that are uninspired iterations of what came before. It's becoming a damn trope at this point, when are open world games going to do something new? I don't even know where we go from here.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the responses guys. Good to know that, for the most part, impressions of this game have been pretty decent to good so far. Just two quick questions:

1. Has anyone else had the crashing problems that @sessh has had on the PS4? Because stuff like that is pretty concerning to me and I would rather not deal with it.
    2. From what I saw in the Quick Look, the parkour elements look very similar to Mirror's Edge, though not as fast. Is that a good way to describe it, specifically in terms of how the free running feels?

I think I'm probably gonna pick this up in the next few days for the PS4, but would love to know the answers to these questions and get whatever other information/opinions I can in the meantime. Thanks again, everyone!

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Evilsbane

First 2 hours on PC have been pretty positive you just have to keep the view distance down even on a nicer system but it really doesn't effect the look enough to not turn it down to get it smooth and Vsync seems to hurt gonna try using a different method outside the game but its a CPU hog that is for sure.

It feels good to run around you can get killed if careless story is actually engaging at the moment which is surprising.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I really like it so far. It's gorgeous to look at, for one. Really impressed with things like the lighting and wind effects. Though, as with all Techland games, facial animations are practically non-existent. The parkour is a bit janky and doesn't always work properly, but it's mostly neat and seems to get better as you upgrade the ability tree. Same with the combat. The story is intriguing at least and I'm interested in seeing where it goes. I think the game's atmosphere is superb and the world is enjoyably tense to be in.

I played a bit of the co-op last night and had a lot of fun, too. Getting caught in a horde of zombies and having to have your buddy come bail you out is appropriately thrilling. I also like that the game doesn't hold your hand and far as telling you how to complete objectives.

Zerothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really LOVED Condemned Criminal Origans !!! Combat is quicker and some enemies duck behind you. With a stamina meter and degrading weapons you really have to be careful about jumping into it as I found out. That Jade girl is frickin' hot. :) Just roughly 7 hours into it. Not far I know but I caved on buying it after no reviews were up. So I just figured I would comment on it. I also watched Angry Joe and Other Joe play it for a few hours and pretty much bought it on that. I am liking the characters and story playing different interests. I had to do 2 things already that were not cool. One was main story based so I'll leave that one out but I came up on a place with a screaming little girl in there and couldn't open any doors. You jumped up on the place and kill a zombie and found her in a room and cubbard thingy. I was pissed because I was thinking she better not f'ing die because I can't get in. Enough has happened and with all of the side missions which I like because it's chaos and everyone is out to save themselves. I'll stop so it's not even more of a wall of text.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By gaminghooligan

Here's something weird: I love the game but I can't play it for long without my eyes hurting like crazy. Dunno why, maybe some kind of effect the game has, I think the graphics on Xbone aren't half bad.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By John1912

Anyone playing on PC I ended up turning off the Vsync which really improved janky frame rate. Im not getting awful screen tearing either as I do with some other games. I think most people generally leave it off, but it was turned on by default so I didnt think anything of it. Game seems to be capped at 60 fps anyway? Still never got abot 60 with the vsync off. My FPS didnt go up at all, but game runs MUCH smoother. Still hitting mid 40 FPS when there is any action, which is same with Vsync on, but runs much better for what ever reason.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Retromancy

I'd say the only downside is evading those special zombies at night becomes super easy once you get a grasp on the game mechanics.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really didn't like Dead Island and I'm loving Dying Light. I'm playing on PS4 and I think it looks great, it runs smooth and it's an absolute blast to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.