Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dynasty Warriors Online: Dance of the Divine General

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 10, 2010

Dynasty Warriors over the internet. You pick your character and weapon and fight to gain experience.

First Reactions to Dynasty Warriors Online

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

Edited By mzuckerm

I finally got into the Dynasty Warriors Online beta late last night after trying (and failing) to log-in periodically throughout the day.  I only played briefly, so I'll withhold most judgment for now.  But I can say that the gameplay appears to be like every other Dynasty Warriors game I've played (and at this point, that's a lot).  It makes you wonder if they're ever really going to upgrade their engine/graphics/camera.  Here are some screenshots, in case anyone is interested. 

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mzuckerm

I finally got into the Dynasty Warriors Online beta late last night after trying (and failing) to log-in periodically throughout the day.  I only played briefly, so I'll withhold most judgment for now.  But I can say that the gameplay appears to be like every other Dynasty Warriors game I've played (and at this point, that's a lot).  It makes you wonder if they're ever really going to upgrade their engine/graphics/camera.  Here are some screenshots, in case anyone is interested. 

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By hero_swe  Online

I really wanted to get in and try it since I'm probrably the lone person in the world who enjoy's Dynast y Warriors, but I was afraid the netcode would be sub-par or something. How is it? Also. I noticed you picked Zhou Yun's style, nice :D
    Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Mariek430
    @Hero_Swe said:
    " I'm probrably the lone person in the world who enjoy's Dynasty Warriors "
    you are not alone!
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I think a lot of people enjoy the games..  The problem is they've released about 1,000 versions of the same game.  I'd be interested in trying the online version, but it still seems like nothing has really changed.  And lag would be a pretty serious problem for this.
    mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mzuckerm
    @Hero_Swe:  You are definitely not alone.  For a while I was buying every game they put out, even though they were largely just using the same engine, characters and plots over and over again.  There was something about that hack-n-slash gameplay that kept me coming back, and the mix of the soundtrack with repetitive leveling up a large number of characters appealed to me.  That being said, the AI is just appallingly bad.  But the story got me interested enough to actually work my way through the entire book it's based on (and it's fucking LONG).  So far, the game seems ok, but still fairly unpolished (and, again, looks a lot like this game looked five years ago).  Also, I've only done a couple of training missions, so I haven't actually played with other players yet.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shirogane

Huh, so this is actually coming out of asia and into everywhere else? I thought it was gonna be one of those asian only MMOs. 

Maybe i'll check it out when i'm not playing some other mmo. Or when i havn't just gotten a simlar game, ie. Sengoku Basara.
    mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mzuckerm
    @Shirogane: Yeah, I mean I'm an American and I'm in the beta.  And the text is all in English, so I assume they want to appeal to a Western audience.
    Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Nettacki

I'm in America, and also in the closed beta due to the beta key I received from the GamesRadar giveaway.

And so far, I'm kinda having fun with it. I mean, it's Dynasty Warriors. I've gotten to the point where I'm able to do more than just training missions, but rather missions under the general I'm assigned to as well as the shopkeepers in the market and people in the tavern.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JJOR64

I guess it would be kinda neat to play with others.  What's the player cap for missions?

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Nettacki
    @JJOR64 said:
    " I guess it would be kinda neat to play with others.  What's the player cap for missions? "
    four
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Pazy

Im in the beta and ive played a little. So far ive discovered that its Dynasty Warriors except online...not exactly a large revelation but I havent seen many changes. Im hoping some of my friends got into since it would be fun to play with a bunch of friends but as a single player game its lacking so far since its just Dynasty Warriors and I own that already 2/3 times over.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#12  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Do they have the strategic elements they've been working into some of these games lately?  I hear those are general improvements in the variation of the gameplay.  

I wrote an article about the old Dynasty Warriors formula on my blog just recently and how it could be changed, even if I stray from the Dynasty Warriors theme, but I didn't go into the camera and graphics too much.

Right now I'd worry more about keeping 4 people in the game without lagging and popping.  Maybe once they optimize the system they'll upgrade it, and they'll add some of the features from that plethora of different versions.  I'm curious what version of the item system they're using.  Some have been better than others.  What's nice is, with an online system they can add to the formula without making you buy a new disc in the hopes that THIS will be the game that improves the old formula substantially.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Shadow

I..um...maybe that could be a good idea?

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

Thus far, I have mixed feelings.  I'm only at the point where you're smashing other player's faces repeatedly in PvP;  if you happen to know of something else I could be doing, tell me.  As it stands, I think it's fun but repetitive.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

Seeing as you're fighting other people now, I can't imagine its any more or less mindless than your typical MMO. But if they left out claiming bases and that whole mechanic, I don't really know how the game would work. My image of the game is people choosing one of 3 sides and regularly fighting over and taking territories.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.