Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2010

Concept »

The 2010 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 15-17.

TWiT to be Live@E3 Despite G4 Exclusive. What about Team GB?

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zonerover

So G4 paid for exclusive rights to air live coverage from the E3 show floor, so when that small podcast network TWiT said that they were also going to cover it live, they heard from G4's legal department. Here's the link. However it was announced they somehow managed to sort out those issues, probably in a similar way that Gamespot manages to cover E3 every year. Now they're going to be live from the show floor. What does everyone think about this? If they can do it, could Whiskey Media and the Giant Bomb team also negotiate a deal? After all, the raw footage would be a very efficient way of airing their views on everything they see while also being able to do those E3 Day X videos they do every year.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By PufferFiz

wow every year E3 become dumber and dumber.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Steve_C

There's no need for them to waste their time and resources streaming that content when it's being done by bigger websites, with larger teams that could do it more competently than GB ever could.

Totally misread that. I thought you meant live streams of the conferences and such. Well GB don't do live coverage for that stuff anyway, but you can expect videos being uploaded of interviews and such. There's the potential for jeff/ryan to do something on ustream I suppose.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zonerover
    @PufferFiz:  In what way?
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I dont think the GB crew were going to do live coverage via video, they would probably do like last time (if I remmber correctly) do a live twit of the news with link to one of the streaming websites and later that day upload videos from the show.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Fallen189

What is TWiT?

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sixghost

@zonerover said:

" So G4 paid for exclusive rights to air live coverage from the E3 show floor, so when that small podcast network TWiT said that they were also going to cover it live, they heard from G4's legal department. Here's the link. However it was announced they somehow managed to sort out those issues, probably in a similar way that Gamespot manages to cover E3 every year. Now they're going to be live from the show floor. What does everyone think about this? If they can do it, could Whiskey Media and the Giant Bomb team also negotiate a deal? After all, the raw footage would be a very efficient way of airing their views on everything they see while also being able to do those E3 Day X videos they do every year. "

I don't think Giantbomb would ever broadcast live from E3. Unless I'm misreading this, it seems like there would be nothing stopping GB from doing their normal recorded stuff.

We want to do live coverage of E3

The GB crew is fine.
    zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zonerover
    @Steve_C: I'm not expecting complete coverage or even competent coverage, but surely there is more footage than what they actually put on the site every year that could complement the more professional stuff. Like them commenting on stuff as they walk around. I know they've had that in previous years, but they must have about 10X more footage of that kind of stuff they could air live via uStream.
    zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zonerover
    @Fallen189:  TWiT is a small podcast network (about the same size/maybe smaller than Whiskey Media) that create podcasts on technology topics.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Willy105
    @Fallen189 said:
    " What is TWiT? "
    Some twits who think they can stand up to the man.
    t2t2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By t2t2

Actually, twit got a deal where they can live broadcast as long as they get off when G4 starts their live coverage (and mention g4 at the end of stream).
    [ Source, autojumps to 54m40s]

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By turboman

just watch it on TV.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By RobotHamster

Why should g4 get all the fun, they haven't done anything video game related in over 10 years.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Steve_C
    @zonerover:  I suppose so, but they're still a website catering to an audience and they've got to have some standards about what they put out. Not everyone is going to want to watch random meandering, and vinny/drew won't get to flex their editing skills either. I'd say there's definitely place for a video compiling all the 'b-reel' if you want to call it that, but the majority of the videos should be mostly to the point and have substance. I'm fine with the way they've been doing things. After all, they are there to work and get the coverage they need, so the guys themselves will want to focus on the important content and not waste time.
    zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zonerover
    @Steve_C:  You know what, I agree with you on the standards. If live streaming is going to result in them heavily lowering their standards on their core content, then perhaps its not a good idea for them to do it. I was just thinking that if they have to walk around anyway, the 'b-reel' side commentary would naturally come out. If they could stream that, then that certainly counts as content given that other 'b-reel' content has been surprisingly successful on the site (GBTNT, Endurance Run).

BTW, I do love the 'b-reel' stuff so 'b-reel' isn't a euphemism for crap.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By buzz_killington

Gamespot pays for their own booth, that's how they work that issue out.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zonerover
    @t2t2:  You're right, I did hear that initially. However, there some something mentioned on TWiT 250 when Leo said (and BTW, he did repeat that exact comment on the same show as well) that they were waving the 'they have to get off when G4 starts' clause. Can't remember where it is time wise, perhaps I'll be able to find it when the written transcript to the show is released.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zombie2011

I'm gonna guess it's very expensive to do this, so GB won't be doing anything like this.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Steve_C
    @zonerover:  I just meant 'b-reel' as in the stuff they would usually edit out; not necessarily the non-serious side to guys, like the talking/joking on the endurance run. They edit the videos so you're shown the interesting stuff. If it's good and entertaining then they'll put it up, whether it be an interview, one of the guys walking around the show floor, or hassling Johnny V.

The bombcast has you covered if you want decent impressions and discussion on games once they've had the chance to play them. From the show floor you'll only hear variations on 'that looks cool' as they get a glimpse whilst walking past, not to mention all the ambient noises making it harder to hear them.
    t2t2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By t2t2
    @zonerover said:
    " @t2t2:  You're right, I did hear that initially. However, there some something mentioned on TWiT 250 when Leo said (and BTW, he did repeat that exact comment on the same show as well) that they were waving the 'they have to get off when G4 starts' clause. Can't remember where it is time wise, perhaps I'll be able to find it when the written transcript to the show is released. "
    It's from 34:10
    zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zonerover
    @t2t2: So listening back to that, it seems as though G4 will air coverage earlier than they otherwise planned but that TWiT still gets to cover the show floor live? Unlike what I thought I heard the first time, Leo didn't specifically say anything about being able to have all-day coverage. However, the fact remains that TWiT is allowed to do live coverage from the floor while G4 is doing their coverage.

@buzz_killington: That's probably partially right but Gamespot typically don't cover the show floor live (at least that's what I remember). Most of the show floor stuff is pre-packaged stuff and their day revolves mostly around interviews  and gameplay demos in their booth.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By jeff

I believe the limitation is 10 minutes of live broadcast from the show floor. I'm not sure what other outlets are doing to get around it, but it sounds like it's been a hassle for everyone on every side of the situation. 

We will probably have some form of live component to our coverage, but we're not planning on doing it from the show floor. We'll be too busy going out, seeing games, and shooting interviews to set up live shots and hassle with whatever weird negotiating has to be done to make all of that a reality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.