Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2011

Concept »

The 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 7-9.

E3 No innovation at all FPS is the new Guitar Hero

Avatar image for deactivated-60534c109535a
    deactivated-60534c109535a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

MICROSOFT: After watching the horrible microsoft conference wich main focus was kinect and of course started with MW3 as usual i fear for the future of console games being overrun by fps shooters.i am getting sick of fps as a genre,it's become generic.Even the biggest franchises like BF3 and MW3 doesn't interested me that much anymore.it's become bland and uninspiring,getting people suckered in with shiny new graphics and sound,if you look at the fps as a basis without theese two elements, it's nothing more than pushing a trigger,no thinking at all just going around,shooting and hiding in a corner,if you like to camp.then we have some intresting fps games like ghost recon future soldier.That at least tries to be new in some ways,but still nothing but a shock and awe,unntil you realise wow!.Another shooter,nothing more.

SONY: They also have the generic shooters killzone,resistance etc.i looked at the E3 2011 conference.Resistance 3 looked so boring,just running around with a battery pack avoiding to get shoot,where is the fun in that?.Sony isn't making it easy to pick fps games it's a lot of flash no substance kind of thing.Sony has atleast uncharted 3,wich mixes 3rd person shooter with adventure this isn't the run of the mill fps that is the kind of titles i seek,not the resistance and killzones,we already have to many of thoose.

NINTENDO: The fps games nintendo got is 3rd party fps exlusives,wich is mostly on rails and a medicore fps series called conduit 1 and 2,but there is a difference between nintendo and the other two.They try to innovate,with the fps hybrid Metroid prime series and other M is the only clear winner here.With awesome story's and engaging interactions,because it mixes fps with so much more: adventure,exploration,thinking etc.

PC: FPS started on the pc,and it should had stayed on pc.if it weren't for halo on xbox we wouldn't had any fps games on consoles,and this alone would had made it easier to innovate.Making pc an exlusive place for fps games as a genre,but it never happened.

CONCLUSION: FPS isn't going to go away anytime soon,but it will finally get a well earned rest.When we can find new ways to innovate fps,as a exciting new genre,wich is not any time soon.I am crossing my fingers!.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MICROSOFT: After watching the horrible microsoft conference wich main focus was kinect and of course started with MW3 as usual i fear for the future of console games being overrun by fps shooters.i am getting sick of fps as a genre,it's become generic.Even the biggest franchises like BF3 and MW3 doesn't interested me that much anymore.it's become bland and uninspiring,getting people suckered in with shiny new graphics and sound,if you look at the fps as a basis without theese two elements, it's nothing more than pushing a trigger,no thinking at all just going around,shooting and hiding in a corner,if you like to camp.then we have some intresting fps games like ghost recon future soldier.That at least tries to be new in some ways,but still nothing but a shock and awe,unntil you realise wow!.Another shooter,nothing more.

SONY: They also have the generic shooters killzone,resistance etc.i looked at the E3 2011 conference.Resistance 3 looked so boring,just running around with a battery pack avoiding to get shoot,where is the fun in that?.Sony isn't making it easy to pick fps games it's a lot of flash no substance kind of thing.Sony has atleast uncharted 3,wich mixes 3rd person shooter with adventure this isn't the run of the mill fps that is the kind of titles i seek,not the resistance and killzones,we already have to many of thoose.

NINTENDO: The fps games nintendo got is 3rd party fps exlusives,wich is mostly on rails and a medicore fps series called conduit 1 and 2,but there is a difference between nintendo and the other two.They try to innovate,with the fps hybrid Metroid prime series and other M is the only clear winner here.With awesome story's and engaging interactions,because it mixes fps with so much more: adventure,exploration,thinking etc.

PC: FPS started on the pc,and it should had stayed on pc.if it weren't for halo on xbox we wouldn't had any fps games on consoles,and this alone would had made it easier to innovate.Making pc an exlusive place for fps games as a genre,but it never happened.

CONCLUSION: FPS isn't going to go away anytime soon,but it will finally get a well earned rest.When we can find new ways to innovate fps,as a exciting new genre,wich is not any time soon.I am crossing my fingers!.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

I thought Guitar Hero was the new FPS. Shooters have been the dominant genre for close to a decade now. Looks like the only thing that can take out the FPS is the TPS, that being the third person shooter.  

BTW, Nintendo hasn't innovated the FPS genre. Sure, they've tried some new things, like with Geist, but no one bought a Gamecube or Wii because of their shooting prowess, and its probably better for it.  

I do agree the genre should have stayed on PC. They're always better. 

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Twitchey

I like FPS's. Mainly Battlefield.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By gamb1t

uhm this guy has never played BATTLE MUTHAFUCKEN FIELD WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By ColinWright

Don't fix what isn't broken.

Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Bubbly

I got sick of FPS games a long time ago. While I'm interested in BF3, it isn't something I'm gonna buy day 1. I'm gonna wait for a price drop, although that could take a while. And I don't agree on your Halo point. Another game eventually would've come along and sell in big numbers letting execs see how much more games sell on a console. And the question for me now is can FPS games even become more innovative? I feel that this genre has reached its limits in terms of gameplay. Besides looking very very pretty, BF3 doesn't bring anything new to the table. While I still play FPS games (mainly TF2 and Reach), I would love to see the genre die down and move aside for genres that have more room for innovation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you guys and girls for the response i appreciated  the comments so far.FPS it's very easy to say something wrong about a genre that has had a very long staying power fps,needs to innovate or it will die out.gamb1t:i played battlefield 1942,BF2 and also got bad company 2 on pc and xbox 360 i try to play a lot of shooter believe it or not,oh the irony.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By TheMasterDS

@wh4tshisface said:

Don't repackage and resell what isn't new.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By fini_fly
    @TheMasterDS said:

@wh4tshisface said:

Don't repackage and resell what isn't new.

This. 

Lost interest in most FPS a long, long time ago. Having said that, Bioshock Infinite looks really interesting and innovative.
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By YoungFrey

Companies chase success.  It's rarely the way to be the best, but daring innovation is a much more relaiable path to losing money.  WoW makes a kerbillion dollars so people keep making MMOs trying to horn in on it.  Call Of Duty has the dailly attention of millions, so until people stop buying CoD like it was the cure for fat other companies are going to be going for FPS dollars too.  Fortunately those things are related.  If the market for FPSes can fail (I'm not convonced there is a limit to the desire of people's to shoot men in the face) all the me-toos will only hasten it.  For the good of all (expect the huge majority of gamers that love FPSes all day long). 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheMasterDS: spot on!.This is the truth most people have a hard time facing that fps is nothing but a thrillride,then some multiplayer.Last step is to buy the next game in the series,wich is almost the same.Just in a shiny new gold wrapping paper aka: Some new weapons and lvls,with old ideas tightly wrapped like a caramel,so you will suck on it not chew it lolz.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.