Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2011

Concept »

The 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 7-9.

Top 5 overlooked games of E3

exanubisleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

Edited By exanubisleader

Hey guys these are some of my top 5 overlooked games of E3. Change title to top 5 new challengers of E3.

During my week of E3 I consumed a large quantity of information. I watched premiere trailers, interviews, press conferences as well as read many articles on all things E3. I constantly saw a select few titles rise to the top of the fish bowl to claim the biggest amount of interest. Titles like Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Mass effect 3, Uncharted 3 and Batman Arkham City seemed to be the most popular titles among a few of the elite games to premiere. The list I present to you is not my top five games of E3 but rather my new top five games on my radar. In order to qualify, the following titles had to either impress despite undesirable circumstances or make enough noise to pique my curiosity.

5: NeverDead :Uniqueness is a rare quality that we don’t see enough of in this Shooter focused, MMO grinding world. NeverDead is a game where the protagonist is a man who is cursed with immortality. The game looks cheesy and very Japanese, which is odd considering that the studio behind it is very western. The game play itself is a third person action game which isn’t unique at all until you add the fact that main character is occasionally seen hopping on one foot or running around without a head. I don’t believe this game is going to be amazing but I believe that if you enjoyed the humor of Bayonetta then this may be one to keep a close watch on.

http://www.giantbomb.com/e3-2011-neverdead-trailer/17-4281/

4: Tomb raider: Lara Croft has always been a pretty shallow character with the exception of her physical traits. She has always been portrayed as a big breasted babe with guns who smashes ancient pottery even though she is always trying to put some strange artifact in a museum. The recent game play and interviews have led me to hope that we will finally see an expansion of her character. Tomb Raider focuses on a vulnerable 21 year old Lara who finds herself shipwrecked on a mysterious island with hostile inhabitants and dangerous predators. The gameplay shown puts an emphasis on the pain that Lara will have to overcome if she is to escape the island. We haven’t seen any combat yet but Lara’s E3 appearance has done more then enough to whet my appetite. Lets just hope that the mostly quicktime event moments will not be an overwhelming part of the experience.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-tomb-raider/714828

3.Resident Evil : Operation Raccoon City: I was really ready to write off the Resident Evil Franchise after RE5. The game play mistakes of Resident Evil 5 were terribly archaic and made me think that Capcom had not learned. Then I saw that the new Resident evil was going to be developed by Slant Six Games, who gave us hits like Socom Confrontation.(If only there was a sarcasm font) This spelled disaster for the franchise until I saw a lot of gameplay for it. The game play appears to be a third person version of Left 4 Dead, a game I continue to enjoy to this day. The game will feature characters that are tied to different classes such as medic, recon, assault and demolition. Both opposing forces will have specific objectives to complete that clash with each others success. Furthermore, the game will feature Bio Weapons that have no allegiance along with the horde of zombies that player will have to survive. Capcom has also statedthat game will not be cannon and seen as a “what if” scenario. The major thing that has really excited me are interesting game mechanics like once a player is infected they will have a few seconds to live before they turn on their teammate, while at the same time offering invisibility to the zombie horde.  I hoping that enough time and care is put into this game to stop it from becoming another cash whore for Capcom.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/08/e3-2011-ign-live-resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city?objectid=91261

2. Dragon’s Crown: There is not much to tell about Vanillaware next console game. The game looks pretty like every other game Vanillaware has worked on. The game is side scrolling, which again, is consistent with Vanillaware’s style. This difference between this game and past is two fold. It is a multiplayer game and it will be for the PS Vita and PS3. It is yet to be confirmed if it will have any transfarring capabilities but it doesn’t seem outside the realm of reality. The only thing I am disappointed with is that it currently is slated for Sony consoles only. Even though I would much rather play it on the Xbox, I will most likely not wait to see if that ever become a reality. Seriously watch the trailer below.And your eyes may melt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a_g7lUliQU

1. Prey 2: Everything that ever had to do with Prey I did not like. It wasn’t an abortion, it just wasn’t very good. Prey 2 takes everything but the name and genre and throws it out the fucking airlock. The environment is no longer a bland series of claustrophobic corridors in a space ship but instead a dark, sudo sci-fi western inspired, open world shooter. Also it has parkour elements. Just think about that for one moment. Go on. I’ll wait………..back yet? Okay. Doesn’t that sound amazing? You play as a bounty hunter with crazy gadgets and will dynamically get new tools and abilities to capture your bounty. The game also allows you to approach a bounty from multiple angles and doesn’t force you to engage in pure combat . An example of this is you could ask a scumbag and his friend for information on a target or you could blow the friends head off and demand the information. You can go in guns blazing or you can use an associate of the target as a bartering chip. I urge anyone to look into this game because as far as I am concerned we could be witnessing a new challenger for your wallet next year.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-prey-2/714963

exanubisleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By exanubisleader

Hey guys these are some of my top 5 overlooked games of E3. Change title to top 5 new challengers of E3.

During my week of E3 I consumed a large quantity of information. I watched premiere trailers, interviews, press conferences as well as read many articles on all things E3. I constantly saw a select few titles rise to the top of the fish bowl to claim the biggest amount of interest. Titles like Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Mass effect 3, Uncharted 3 and Batman Arkham City seemed to be the most popular titles among a few of the elite games to premiere. The list I present to you is not my top five games of E3 but rather my new top five games on my radar. In order to qualify, the following titles had to either impress despite undesirable circumstances or make enough noise to pique my curiosity.

5: NeverDead :Uniqueness is a rare quality that we don’t see enough of in this Shooter focused, MMO grinding world. NeverDead is a game where the protagonist is a man who is cursed with immortality. The game looks cheesy and very Japanese, which is odd considering that the studio behind it is very western. The game play itself is a third person action game which isn’t unique at all until you add the fact that main character is occasionally seen hopping on one foot or running around without a head. I don’t believe this game is going to be amazing but I believe that if you enjoyed the humor of Bayonetta then this may be one to keep a close watch on.

http://www.giantbomb.com/e3-2011-neverdead-trailer/17-4281/

4: Tomb raider: Lara Croft has always been a pretty shallow character with the exception of her physical traits. She has always been portrayed as a big breasted babe with guns who smashes ancient pottery even though she is always trying to put some strange artifact in a museum. The recent game play and interviews have led me to hope that we will finally see an expansion of her character. Tomb Raider focuses on a vulnerable 21 year old Lara who finds herself shipwrecked on a mysterious island with hostile inhabitants and dangerous predators. The gameplay shown puts an emphasis on the pain that Lara will have to overcome if she is to escape the island. We haven’t seen any combat yet but Lara’s E3 appearance has done more then enough to whet my appetite. Lets just hope that the mostly quicktime event moments will not be an overwhelming part of the experience.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-tomb-raider/714828

3.Resident Evil : Operation Raccoon City: I was really ready to write off the Resident Evil Franchise after RE5. The game play mistakes of Resident Evil 5 were terribly archaic and made me think that Capcom had not learned. Then I saw that the new Resident evil was going to be developed by Slant Six Games, who gave us hits like Socom Confrontation.(If only there was a sarcasm font) This spelled disaster for the franchise until I saw a lot of gameplay for it. The game play appears to be a third person version of Left 4 Dead, a game I continue to enjoy to this day. The game will feature characters that are tied to different classes such as medic, recon, assault and demolition. Both opposing forces will have specific objectives to complete that clash with each others success. Furthermore, the game will feature Bio Weapons that have no allegiance along with the horde of zombies that player will have to survive. Capcom has also statedthat game will not be cannon and seen as a “what if” scenario. The major thing that has really excited me are interesting game mechanics like once a player is infected they will have a few seconds to live before they turn on their teammate, while at the same time offering invisibility to the zombie horde.  I hoping that enough time and care is put into this game to stop it from becoming another cash whore for Capcom.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/08/e3-2011-ign-live-resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city?objectid=91261

2. Dragon’s Crown: There is not much to tell about Vanillaware next console game. The game looks pretty like every other game Vanillaware has worked on. The game is side scrolling, which again, is consistent with Vanillaware’s style. This difference between this game and past is two fold. It is a multiplayer game and it will be for the PS Vita and PS3. It is yet to be confirmed if it will have any transfarring capabilities but it doesn’t seem outside the realm of reality. The only thing I am disappointed with is that it currently is slated for Sony consoles only. Even though I would much rather play it on the Xbox, I will most likely not wait to see if that ever become a reality. Seriously watch the trailer below.And your eyes may melt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a_g7lUliQU

1. Prey 2: Everything that ever had to do with Prey I did not like. It wasn’t an abortion, it just wasn’t very good. Prey 2 takes everything but the name and genre and throws it out the fucking airlock. The environment is no longer a bland series of claustrophobic corridors in a space ship but instead a dark, sudo sci-fi western inspired, open world shooter. Also it has parkour elements. Just think about that for one moment. Go on. I’ll wait………..back yet? Okay. Doesn’t that sound amazing? You play as a bounty hunter with crazy gadgets and will dynamically get new tools and abilities to capture your bounty. The game also allows you to approach a bounty from multiple angles and doesn’t force you to engage in pure combat . An example of this is you could ask a scumbag and his friend for information on a target or you could blow the friends head off and demand the information. You can go in guns blazing or you can use an associate of the target as a bartering chip. I urge anyone to look into this game because as far as I am concerned we could be witnessing a new challenger for your wallet next year.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-prey-2/714963

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@exanubisleader said:

peak my curiosity.

Pique: "Stimulate (interest or curiosity)"

Peak: "Reach a highest point, either of a specified value or at a specified time"

wet my appetite.

Whet: "Excite or stimulate (someone's desire, interest, or appetite)"

Wet: "Cover or touch with liquid; moisten"

You and your friend need to read over each others articles. If you still can't see what is wrong with them after that, then you need to re-think some things.

Your writing is poorly structured and extremely dull. That said, I'm going to assume you're around 15-16. If that's the case, then keep doing what you're doing and you will no doubt get better.

Normally I wouldn't be such an ass, but if you're going to blatantly advertise your blog, make it worth our while."""

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By daiphyer
    @Khann: I think he writes well enough. And what's up with people using age material to degrade others? What a society we live in.
    Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@exanubisleader said:
    the following titles had to either impress thru undesirable circumstances or make enough noise to peak my curiosity.
    The use of "thru" is rather misplaced considering you've tried to use correct spelling and grammar throughout the rest of this post?
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By phrosnite

I wouldn't say that Tomb Raider was overlooked. Many people liked the demo and the trailer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Daiphyer said:

@Khann: I think he writes well enough. And what's up with people using age material to degrade others? What a society we live in.

I'm glad for you.

And I didn't use his age to degrade him at all. On the contrary, I assume he has a lack of experience writing and has yet to develop a solid style or flair. If I were to assume this was a 30 year old man, I would have much harsher things to say.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cloudenvy

What is this? advertising?

No clicks from me.

exanubisleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By exanubisleader

Wow. I want to thank you Khann. I am trying to greatly improve my writing skills. The comment about age hurt considering that I am 22 but that just means I have to work even harder. I had no idea that my terminology was off and I thank you for taking the time to point that out. No sarcasm.  I am curious about what anyone thinks about my choices or content more then I am about grammar or spelling but again thank you for the input.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Yanngc33

Tomb Raider needed more coverage, that game is going to be amazing

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomb Raider and Prey 2 were certainly not ignored by any stretch of the imagination.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By daiphyer
    @Khann: I've been roaming around the forums for some time now, and the most common remark used as an insult is usually saying the person is 15/16. 
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Best trailer at E3 hands down.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ProfessorEss

I found there was a pretty non-stop feed of Tomb Raider talk almost everywhere I looked.

...quite a bit on Prey 2 as well.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Meowshi

Everyone was talking about TR.  

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marcsman

Twisted Metal
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pweidman

Torchlight 2, and Kindoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Both were, and are looking very good. Several of those you named were among the talk of the show, especially Prey 2, and TombRaider

The other 3 you named were meh, but heh that's all subjective. A for effort. C for content and topic accuracy.;)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Lara gave me a hard dick with all that sexy moaning so it's on my radar, don't worry

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By phish09

And yet, you overlooked the most overlooked game of the show:

Kingdoms of Amalur:  Reckoning.  That game looks awesome!

exanubisleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By exanubisleader

I saw a lot of coverage for Kingdoms of Amalur. I think this list is more of what is now on my radar for E3. Maybe I should have thought of a more appropriate title.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.