sharpfilly's EA Sports Active (Wii) review

• sharpfilly wrote this review on .

A fitness game that makes exercising fun?

EA Sports Active: Personal Trainer is one of the now many fitness games for the Nintendo Wii, so it's easy to discard this one on that basis alone. However, I found this game not only fun, but a really good workout that made me sweat and keep going.

I don't know about you, but I hate exercising. I need proper motivation to workout and this game provides that. I'll be sore and tired, but want to keep going because of how fun the activities are in this game. The only other game that has done that for me in the past was Dance Dance Revolution, but that game had the drawback of being hard for some people and demotivating when you lose. Active is very good at encouraging you both with the voice of the Personal Trainer, energetic music, and rewarding gameplay in the form of in-game trophies for doing things such as burning 100 calories or getting a Gold rank in a fitness entry.

I said a lot about Active being fun, but does it actually work? For me it did. The game counts your calories lost while playing so you can see your progress, but I don't need that to tell me it's working. Once you find the workouts that work the best for you, you can make your own workout and customize it down to the difficulty of each individual exercise in the routine. The best exercises are the boxing, dancing, and many of the sports in the game that do a good job of making you feel like you're really playing the sport.

The bad? There isn't much. I found that the motion sensing was sometimes a little off when it came to the activities using the leg strap with the Nunchuk. Make sure you have enough space around you and that you aren't too close to your TV. Also, if you're not the kind of person who likes to keep a fitness journal, having to remember what you ate everyday, then it can be a little annoying when using the main mode of the game. The bottom line is that this is a fun game that makes you sweat and has many tools for you to continue to come back for more.