Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an action adventure game developed by Ninja Theory and published by Namco-Bandai. A very loose retelling of "Journey to the West," Enslaved follows the story of Monkey and Trip as they attempt to cross a post-apocalyptic Planet Earth.

Enslaved - Debut Trailer

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Namco-Bandai Games have release the début trailer for Enslaved : Odyssey to the West, an upcoming 360 & PS3 title from Ninja Theory based on an ancient Chinese novel called "Journey to the West".   

Enslaved's story is set 150 years into the future where a global robotic war has decimated the Earth, seeing humanity lying on the very brink of extinction. The games storyline has been written by Alex Garland who scripted the British zombie film 28 Days LaterAndy Serkis, who also worked on Heavenly Sword, is playing the voice role of Monkey.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SeriouslyNow

No Caption Provided
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

I wish it was Monkey Magic... 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

You and me both mate.  God, why is there no real Monkey Magic game yet?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yea, it's great source material.  I do expect a high quality cinematic production to appear one day. I know there's a very strong intention within their film industry to bring many of China's great ancient tales to the screen. 

When the shift in power is more apparent , we'll all be seeing a lot more of China's rich history. 

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rallier

Is "Journey to the West" not the book that Dragon Ball is based on?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

I got a very Beyond Good & Evil vibe from that... 

...meaning this game looks like it will be goddamn amazing, and no one is going to buy or play it. 

The trailer has me sold, though.  Voice acting sounded solid, the foley work sounded deadly, the score was energetic and pumping, and the look was very bright and colorful - something we need more of in games.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Rallier said:

" Is "Journey to the West" not the book that Dragon Ball is based on? "

Yea. The novel has inspired many throughout the years, as great literary works do. 

With Alex Garland doing the script we can be confident the storyline is good - excellent. It's a good move from Namco getting him on board, they've chosen the right man for the job.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Linkyshinks:  You...... You just will never make one of these kickass ALL-NEW articles/promos/topics for a game with a PC version so i can get hype will you?  

I'm.... I'm heartbroken.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

I love PC gaming, it's just that there's nothing really worth posting about right now. I'm hoping for something new on Crysis 2, but it seems likely fans will have to wait till during E3 for that. 

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Looks interesting. More interesting is the fact that Alex Garland is doing the story. The Beach is one of my favourite books of all time and he obviously has played a fair amount of computer games as they are mentioned fairly frequently throughout with a respectable amount of insight. I don't know how significant his role will be to the project but this has piqued my interest more than anything else. 28 Days later and Sunshine are both incredible, also.

Looks like a big hybrid mix of gameplay. Art design is nice also.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By Icemael
    @jakob187 said:

" I got a very Beyond Good & Evil vibe from that...  ...meaning this game looks like it will be goddamn amazing, and no one is going to buy or play it."

Not this shit again...
    1. Beyond Good & Evil is not a very good game.
    2. Tons of people bought Beyond Good & Evil. Walk into the PS2 section of any GameStop, and there's a good chance you'll see the used games shelve fucking plastered with copies of Beyond Good & Evil. Do you know what that means? It means people bought the game, and people didn't like it. Stop with the fucking "bohoo why nobody buy Beyond Good & Evil". People fucking bought the game, okay? And aside from the reviewers and a select few who, for some reason I cannot understand, thought a game with mediocre combat, mediocre stealth, mediocre level design and mediocre graphics was some sort of masterpiece, people didn't fucking like it. If you love it, fine! You can do that! But don't go around whining about how nobody played it. It sold enough to get a Greatest Hits re-release. It is not an Okami. It is not a God Hand. Get over it.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By shirogane

Futuristic monkey magic? Awesome. 
    Judging by the trailer though, it's EXTREMELY loosely based on it.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Shirogane said:
    " Futuristic monkey magic? Awesome. Judging by the trailer though, it's EXTREMELY loosely based on it. "

That's basically what this is, but no riding around on clouds though :( 

I'm guessing a pig like character will feature as a mild homage...
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By shirogane
    @Linkyshinks:
    Yeah, lack of a pig-like character, and the other characters. 

That girl seems like a completely random choice to put in. She also seems like a selfish uptight bitch. And i don't use that language often.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Icemael said:
    " @jakob187 said:

" I got a very Beyond Good & Evil vibe from that...  ...meaning this game looks like it will be goddamn amazing, and no one is going to buy or play it."

Not this shit again...
    2. Tons of people bought Beyond Good & Evil. Walk into the PS2 section of any GameStop, and there's a good chance you'll see the used games shelve fucking plastered with copies of Beyond Good & Evil. Do you know what that means? It means people bought the game, and people didn't like it. Stop with the fucking "bohoo why nobody buy Beyond Good & Evil". People fucking bought the game, okay? And aside from the reviewers and a select few who, for some reason I cannot understand, thought a game with mediocre combat, mediocre stealth, mediocre level design and mediocre graphics was some sort of masterpiece, people didn't fucking like it. If you love it, fine! You can do that! But don't go around whining about how nobody played it. It sold enough to get a Greatest Hits re-release. It is not an Okami. It is not a God Hand. Get over it.
    "
    1. You have poor taste.  It's a brilliant game with a metric fuckton of atmosphere, character and variety.
    2. Other people have poor taste or, what's more likely, other people with good taste have played the game, loved it and held on to it for the duration of their PS2's lifespan and when passing on their PS2s they have also passed on their entire libraries for resell at the same time.  For people to be discussing the game at such length, a game which was neither Japanese and so didn't have great Japanese market support, nor particularly action driven and rather esoteric in all areas (a non sexualised female lead, photography as a main plot driver etc etc) Beyond Good & Evil essentially typifies itself as a great, well loved game.  People loved it, you didn't.  Get over it.

Long and short of it, you have poor taste in games and you don't understand the games market at all.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By Icemael
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Icemael said:

" @jakob187 said:

Not this shit again...
    "
    1. You have poor taste.  It's a brilliant game with a metric fuckton of atmosphere, character and variety. 2. Other people have poor taste or, what's more likely, other people with good taste have played the game, loved it and held on to it for the duration of their PS2's lifespan and when passing on their PS2s they have also passed on their entire libraries for resell at the same time.  For people to be discussing the game at such length, a game which was neither Japanese and so didn't have great Japanese market support, nor particularly action driven and rather esoteric in all areas (a non sexualised female lead, photography as a main plot driver etc etc) Beyond Good & Evil essentially typifies itself as a great, well loved game.  People loved it, you didn't.  Get over it.  Long and short of it, you have poor taste in games and you don't understand the games market at all. "
    1. It has decent characters. That's it. The atmosphere is okay at best, and the variety only hurts the game; instead of doing one or two things well, it did a ton of things awfully. Half-assed, mediocre puzzles, half-assed, mediocre combat, half-assed, mediocre stealth, half-assed, mediocre driving and half-assed, mediocre platforming. There isn't a single thing the game does well. It's like a third-person Metroid Prime except with shitty driving and stealth and, you know, not good. Or, to compare it to the game most people compare it to: Zelda, except with shitty driving and stealth, and worse puzzles, combat, level design, graphics and music.
    2. The used game shelves were plastered with copies of Beyond Good & Evil before the Playstation 3 was even released. And even if they hadn't been, you can't find nearly as many used copies of, say, Devil May Cry 3 or The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker or Silent Hill 2 -- you know, games that people liked -- as you can of Beyond Good & Evil. People bought the game. People didn't like the game. People didn't deem it worth keeping. It's not the Okami, or Valkyrie Profile, or God Hand you fans make it out to be. It's not a niche title. It's a mainstream game that the mainstream hated. They hated it because it was like Zelda (which they liked) meets Metroid Prime (which they also liked), only shitty. The only arguments I ever see for why it's such a fantastic title and so underappreciated, is that the main character didn't have big tits and that the story (which was basically a Pixar movie, only not good) was unique. I've never, ever seen anyone praise the driving or the stealth or the combat (you know, the game) which, after playing the game, I suspect is because that stuff wasn't good.

Look, Beyond Good & Evil is not a horrible game. If you like it, fine. That's your right and your privilege. But when you fans complain about how nobody played it, all you're doing is lying to yourself -- trying to tell yourself that if people had played it, they would have loved it and made a big deal out of it, and then there would have been a sequel.

That's not the truth. The truth is that people played it, and people didn't like it. Get. Over. It.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks

Oh god, what's happened here : /

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss

Sooo... how bout that Enslaved huh? I was not a huge fan of Heavenly Sword (I keep thinking about giving it another non-hype driven try) so my jury is still out on this one. Does look like it has promise tho. 

I keep getting an Ico vibe off the "I die, you die" idea.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By xyzygy

Look more interesting than Heavenly Sword, at least.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By spaceturtle
    @jakob187 said:

" I got a very Beyond Good & Evil vibe from that...  ...meaning this game looks like it will be goddamn amazing, and no one is going to buy or play it.  The trailer has me sold, though.  Voice acting sounded solid, the foley work sounded deadly, the score was energetic and pumping, and the look was very bright and colorful - something we need more of in games. "

My exact thoughts!
    9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 9cupsoftea

lol    

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By trylks

Am I the only one who instantly thought about DKC2? am I that old? The concept is very similar, besides, that game implemented some kind of co-op (not simultaneous), that was cool back then, maybe we will see some of that here?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.