Official EVO 2K11 Stream / Discussion Thread (29th-31st July)

#1 Edited by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

Streams

Source: http://evo2k.com/live/

http://www.ustream.tv/evo2011

http://www.ustream.tv/evo2011bonus

Low Bandwidth Stream

Pools

Pools are filled in as players reveal which pool they are in.

SSFIV:AE - MvC3 - MK9 - Tekken 6 - BlazBlue CS2 Pools

2011 Trailer

Schedule

All times PDT (UTC/GMT -8 hours)

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition - Friday, July 29th

Pools: 8 AM – 6 PM

Quarter Finals: 6 PM – 8 PM

Semi Finals: 8 PM – 11 PM

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 – Saturday July 30th

Mortal Kombat 9 – Friday, July 29th

Tekken 6 – Saturday, July 30th

Semi Finals: 6 PM – 10 PM

BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2 – Saturday, July 30th

Semi Finals: 6 PM – 10 PM

Sunday July 31st -

• 10:00 AM: Blazblue Finals
  • 12:00 AM: Tekken 6 Finals
  • 2:00 PM: Mortal Kombat 9 Finals
  • 3:30 PM: SF3 Third Strike Exhibition
  • 5:00 PM: Marvel Vs Capcom 3 Finals
  • 6:30 PM: Screening, Balrog: Behind the Glory.
  • 7:00 PM: SSF4:AE Finals
  • 9:00 PM: Closing Ceremonies

Additional Events

Capcom - Playable Street Fighter X Tekken (work-in-progress) Playable Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (work-in-progress)

Namco - Playable Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (work-in-progress), Exclusive Soul Calibur V content, $5000 in the pot for Tekken 6

Stream and Media Outlets

EVO Stream 1

Our flagship stream, produced by Team Spooky, will broadcast Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition on Friday and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 on Saturday. The stream will cover these tournaments start to finish, from the qualifying pools to the quarterfinal and semi final brackets, culminating in the top 8 players of all tournament games on Sunday.

EVO Stream 1 will feature a 100% all-star commentary team with vets like Ultradavid, James Chen, the WakeupSRK crew, Ryan Hunter, and Seth Killian.

EVO Stream 2

Offcast and FinestKO are teaming up to bring you our second tournament stream, which will broadcast the Mortal Kombat 9 tournament on Friday, and the Tekken 6 and BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2 tournaments on Saturday. Here too you won’t miss any tournament action! We will stick with each tournament from the qualifying pools all the way to the top 8 players.

EVO After Hours Stream

Of course, there’s a lot more competitive juice at EVO besides the official tournaments. To give you the full EVO experience, Iplaywinner.com will bring you special after hours content, featuring grudge matches between top players in a special, invite-only event. This stream will start shortly after our offical broadcast ends, and run until the IPW crew conks out or when we run out of alcohol, whichever comes first.

But wait…there’s more!

Live Marvel vs. Capcom 3 East Coast vs. West Coast Draft!

This year rivals from the east coast and west coast will square off for bragging rights in our 5 on 5 Marvel vs Capcom 3 exhibition. Thurday July 28th, IPW will host the live draft, where west coast team captain Justin Wong and east coast captain Nerd Josh will announce their picks for the east and west teams.

Source

Stream Production Group - Team Spooky in collaboration with iPlayWinner

(NOTE: Stream 1 will also be available on Sony PlayStation Home all weekend)

Secondary Production Group - FinestKO in collaboration with Offcast

Mainstream Coverage - G4TV

Independent Coverage - Destructoid

Seeding Points

Seeding Points were earned during the Evo Tournament Season for Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition and Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds. Tekken 6 was added in the last three events after the announcement of Namco's participation this year.

Complete Evo 2011 Tournament Season Standings

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

Really working forward to this.  Sadly, I will most likely be working those days, but I will watch as much as I can.

#3 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1479 posts) -

I really hate how they say Daigo's name in that trailer

#4 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

Really working forward to this. Sadly, I will most likely be working those days, but I will watch as much as I can.

At least you won't miss it all then. It's going to be great to watch.

@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:

I really hate how they say Daigo's name in that trailer

The guy must have be hired for just that recording, probably had the lines emailed to him, which would explain why he said "Daygo."

#5 Posted by Discorsi (1390 posts) -

So hyped for evo. 

SHOUTOUTS TO MR VICTOR FONT keep the troll alive

#6 Posted by groin (845 posts) -

DansGame is PJSalty.

#7 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

Yeah, the 2011 Evo is pretty awesome, but I prefer the WRX (since I have one)

#8 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Get Shizz.

#9 Posted by countinhallways (632 posts) -
@groin said:

DansGame is PJSalty.

Kappa.
#10 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

MK9 is on the same time as SSFIV AE?

lol that MK stream will be so dead

#11 Posted by rmanthorp (3910 posts) -

That trailer gets me so hyyypppeee!!!

#12 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

I CAN FEEL IT

COMING IN THE AIR TONIGHT

HOLD ON

#13 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

News on a Marvel 3 panel at this year's Evo:

Friday, 4pm (Amazon Ballroom)

Capcom producer Ryota Niitsuma will share behind-the-scenes insights from the MVC3 development process and discuss thoughts on the future direction of the Marvel Vs Capcom franchise.  He will be joined by MVC3 battle system designer and Capcom fighting legend Hidetoshi (“Neo_G”) Ishizawa (see below for credits) to discuss the thinking behind the battle systems, and what the future might hold for everything from character balance, mechanics, and more.  Fighting fans will not want to miss this rare opportunity for insight and discussion.

From Seth Killian:

“The FGC is already familiar with producer Niitsuma-san, but please DO NOT sleep on Neo_G, who doesn’t draw a lot of headlines, but is one of my personal fighting game heroes of all time.

EVO2011 will be his first public appearance anywhere outside of Japan, and if you’ve ever had a nerdy question about why some feature is this way instead of that way, Neo_G is the man with the answers.  He is an accomplished player, my friend, and one of the most knowledgeable people about fighting games on the planet.  He has been a key member of the team behind a TON of the FGC’s all time Capcom favorites—see below for his unbelievable credits list.  Join me for a very special opportunity to meet him alongside producer Niitsuma-san, and help me to show him what an impact his lifetime of work has made to fighting gamers around the world!”

A partial list of Neo_G’s credits include:

–Marvel vs Capcom 2, Designer

–Marvel VS. Capcom 3, Battle System Designer

–Street Fighter Alpha 2, Designer

–Street Fighter Alpha 3, Designer

–Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Director, Assistant Producer

–Street Fighter III, Designer

–Street Fighter III: 2nd IMPACT, Director

–Street Fighter III: 3rd STRIKE, Director

–Darkstalkers 3, Designer

–Capcom VS. SNK 2, Lead Designer

–Hyper Street Fighter II (Arcade Version), Director

–Tatsunoko VS. Capcom, Designer

–Tatsunoko VS. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars, Director

Source

I've left a comment to see if it'll be recorded at all. It would be cool to get some insight as well as see how many people have the balls to question their choice on Level 3 Dark Phoenix and other dominant characters.

#14 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

OP updated with stream info.

#15 Edited by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

While two streams is cool and all, I just hate they way they've split them up to appease the people who think Capcom fighting games are the only ones worth anybody's time. We really don't need morons like that or people like the EVO staff making it look okay.

In terms of commentary I can't wait for Ryan Hunter to make all the dumbass stream monsters realize how uninformative James Chen and Ultradavid really are. I guarantee every one of you guys, even the ones who have been playing SF4 since it first came out hardcore, will learn something new. Also I hope to see NorCal commentators for MvC3 on Top 8 day for some great entertainment, both in commentary and stream monster bitching.

Personally I can't wait to see how MK goes, theres a lot of unexplored characters still that some people are pulling out at EVO.

EDIT: Also IPWCoopa, one of the people who will be running stream two mentioned all of this like a week ago, but at the time he say BBCS2 wasn't getting streamed, so either something changed or the EVO staff is misinformed.

#16 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

So. Glad need josh is captian.

#17 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

I got a press pass to the event but will just need a ride. If I do go, expect me covering the 3rd Strike Invitational, KOFXIII, previewing 3SOE and Skullgirls, and reviewing the Balrog movie!

#18 Edited by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

No Adam Sessler commentary confirmed! Tony and Tom Cannon have been chatting on the Live on Three show on the OneMoreGame.TV stream. Best news ever. I'll definitely embed the archive when it's up.

EVO chat with EVO's Tom and Tony Cannon begins at 50 minutes. They chat about Team Spooky and the other streamers, the commentators and EVO 2011.

#19 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

Just updated the OP with news that Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will be playable at Evo.

Which, by the way, is in a week!

#20 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
#21 Posted by trypio (89 posts) -

Luckily I'm not doing anything during the weekend so I'll be able to watch this, also I'm hoping at least 3 U.S players make top 8.

#22 Edited by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

I was asked to post this here, so yeah...
http://www.twitch.tv/crosscountertv   

Thanks to Slaker117 for posting this when my thread limit was reached.

Important notes since my last post.

Streams

• You'll find the Evo streams embeded on the first page, a long with a link to the pools showing who will fight who
  • Evo Stream 1 (The Team Spooky stream) will stream across PlayStation Home all weekend

PS. G4 did a documentary with Street Fighter player Mike Ross, it's a good watch.

#23 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

@ArchScabby said:

Yeah, the 2011 Evo is pretty awesome, but I prefer the WRX (since I have one)

You sir, have just made my day.

#24 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

There's a new trailer up on the Evo stream pages featuring the main players and games. Page 1!

#25 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@Ygg said:
MK9 is on the same time as SSFIV AE?  lol that MK stream will be so dead

MK9 holds more popularity atm  

Good try though, respectable troll
#26 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

GET HYPE!!!

#27 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

Once I get off work tomorrow, I will be watching the stream all day.

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

@Ygg said:
MK9 is on the same time as SSFIV AE? lol that MK stream will be so dead
MK9 holds more popularity atm Good try though, respectable troll

In the fighting game scene, SF4 is more popular. There are a lot of people who actually hate MK9.

#28 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

Once I get off work tomorrow, I will be watching the stream all day.

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

@Ygg said:

In the fighting game scene, SF4 is more popular. There are a lot of people who actually hate MK9.

Yea, SSF4 will be the game people will be watching.

#29 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@xaLieNxGrEyx said:
@Ygg said:
MK9 is on the same time as SSFIV AE?  lol that MK stream will be so dead
MK9 holds more popularity atm   Good try though, respectable troll

actually he wasnt trollling, you on the other hand showed how you know very little if anything about the fighting game community
#30 Edited by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

YES LETS TURN THIS THREAD INTO A DEBATE OVER WHICH GAME IS BETTER
/sarcasm

#31 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

I'm going to do a blog this weekend about fighting games and the fighting game community, there's a lot to be said about MK9's mainstream popularity in comparsion with its standing in the fighting game community.

This time tomorrow Evo will be on, it will be hype and it'll be the best one yet

#32 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

IN THE FGC WE FUCKING HATE SCRUBS RARRARRAR

I'm just super sad that they won't be streaming any of the panels. I'd even be willing to pay for VoDs. I AM SO FUCKING HYPE

#33 Posted by nazer858 (131 posts) -

stream 1 on ps3, stream 2 on my comp - can't wait

#34 Posted by ThunderSlash (1637 posts) -

I remember last year when the stream cut out at the very last moment. I pray to the internet streaming gods that it won't happen this year.

#35 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

@ThunderSlash: OMG I totally remember that, but I was kinda over SSFIV by the finals. Watching Daigo trounce Ricky wasn't nearly as Hype as the shit with Vangief and GamerBee and JWong.

#36 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

So some of the stuff to be announced in panel is starting to come out due to booths already being set up. For example, the KOF13 boxart:

Hoping the EVO staff doesn't pull an AH3 on this game next year, would love to be playing it at EVO 2012 since I'm seriously planning on going.
#37 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

MvC3 East Coast vs West Coast 5v5 draft is live on main EVO stream

#38 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

@ricetopher: I hope Viscant gets drafted even though he won't but I hope he will. Will WC get 5 Wolverine/???/Phoenix teams?

#39 Edited by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

If you took this clip and brought it back in time to the MvC2 days I wonder what the players would think, the MvC2 5v5 was so fueled by the shit talk and this just feels so forced.

East: Chris G, PR Rog, Masta CJ, NerdJosh, MarlinPie
West: Combofiend, F. Champ, Floe, Justin Wong, Viscant

#40 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I hope Dieminion and Dagger_G come this year.

#41 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

@ricetopher: I'm at work any can't watch, any juicy picks?

#42 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -
@StarvingGamer: Just edited my previous post with the picks.
@Napalm: I don't know about Dagger G, but Dieminion is there.
#43 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

@ricetopher: SQUEEEEE VISCANT, I really hope he ends up playing against MarlinPie.

#44 Posted by groin (845 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

@Ygg said:

Yeah, MK9 is way more popular. That's why they cancelled several MK9 tourneys at Guard Crush (in NYC) due to poor attendance.

#45 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

So will the stream be under EVO's UStream page or Team Spooky's UStream page?

#46 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -
@StarvingGamer: 5v5 is round robin format, everyone will play each other.
@JJOR64: The stream is the EVO UStream which FLStyle linked in the OP.
#47 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

@ricetopher: Oh awesome, so no chance of a boring-ass team-kill.

#48 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

@ricetopher said:

@StarvingGamer: 5v5 is round robin format, everyone will play each other.
@JJOR64: The stream is the EVO UStream which FLStyle linked in the OP.

KK.

#49 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

EVO OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

#50 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

@JJOR64: im afraid my shitty 1mb broadband wont be able to stream cause i cant set it to 240p :'(, was the quality really high last night or low?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.