Evolve is a class based cooperative competitive shooter, where a team of 4 hunters chase down a player controlled monster that is constantly evolving. The game is being developed by Turtle Rock Studios, Inc. (of Left 4 Dead fame) and published by Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.. The game is slated for release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC on February 10, 2015.
What is known of the game-play so far is that it consists of five players. Four players control the "Hunters," a crew of alien hunting combatants, while one player controls "Goliath," a mutating monster which grows stronger as matches progress. Each hunter features its own unique set of items and abilities while the monster has its own blend of anti-hunter capabilities. Goliath is outnumbered, but his strength makes him very tough to take down. The goal for the hunters is to work together against Goliath, while Goliath's goal is to kill all the hunters or otherwise survive.
Hunters are broken down into 4 classes: Trapper, Assault, Support, and Medic. Per Class there are 3 characters to choose from, each having unique play styles. Here is a list of the hunters, their class ability, and weapons/gear.
Class ability is to set up a mobile arena to trap and fight the monster.
- Abe - Custom Shotgun, tracking dart gun, and stasis grenades
- Griffen - SMG, sound spikes, harpoon gun.
- Maggie - Machine Pistol, Daisy (pet trapjaw), Harpoon launcher.
Class ability is a personal shield that makes them invulnerable for a short time.
- Markov - Lighting gun, arc mine, and assault rifle.
- Hyde - Flamethrower, minigun, toxic grenade.
- Parnell - TBA
Class ability is a group cloak.
- Hank - Laser cutter, Orbital bombardment, and shield projector.
- Bucket - Guided Rockets, UAV, and sentry guns.
- Cabot - TBA
Class ability is a healing burst.
- Val - Standard TF2-style medic gun, an Armor Piercing sniper rifle, and a Tranq gun
- Lazarus - Lazarus device (revives dead teammates), personal cloak, and silenced sniper rifle.
- Caira -TBA
During development, the planned publisher for Evolve was THQ, who according to Chapter 11 filings was estimating sales of 4 million units, at or around $30 (this may include projected DLC sales), through its 2014 fiscal year (April 1, 2013 - March 31, 2014), putting the planned release date somewhere in that range. In a May 2011 news story on Giant Bomb, 2013 was the release year given.
On August 5, 2014, Take Two announced that the game's release date had been changed to February 10, 2015.