Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3 Original Better??

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MistaSparkle

Fallout 3 had a differrnt format than the ps3, pc, xbox versions right? There was another pc version that was like the original? Well is that one better than the Fallout 1/2. Or which Fallout original game is best?

Robo_Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Robo_Zuul

The Fallout 3 for the PC you speak of is Project Van Buren, it never saw the light of day.  There was some kind of demo/verticle slice type thing but this was far from representitive of the final game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Buren_(Fallout_3)

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Robo_Zuul: If that's what you say wasn't that the one that was being worked on by the original developers, then Bethesda picked it up and turned it into the version that made it to market by starting over?

And so you know Mista, the other 2 on PC looked just like the ones in that wiki article, I preffered them just because they were more original, I never got as far as I did with one as I did with two, I find time limits in games rather annoying, Dead Rising for example.
    Robo_Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Robo_Zuul
    @Ineedaname: The assets for Van Buren were, as far as I know, never released to Bethesda.  My understanding is that Bethesda just bought the rights to make a sequel, and then purchased the rights for the entire IP excluding the right to make an MMO (but that's another story).  Bethesda spoke to the guys from Black Isle (the original devs of Fallout) when making Fallout 3, but no assets or story elements from Van Buren made it into Fallout 3.

As for which is the best, they all have merit.  Fallout 1 is great, but full of flaws, Fallout 2 is awesome too but was full of crippiling bugs, and Fallout 3 is great, but some fans of the series have had a hard time with Bethesdas style and the change in perspective.  Their all great, and you should play them all.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Robo_Zuul: My issue wasn't with the lack of remembrance for the original but rather that it felt so much like Oblivion and the gun play was lack luster, I did play it for a while but only got to I'd say level 7 or so. It was also the missing leveling system, when you did level it never affected much, I'm hoping with the next one there is more impact in your leveling decisions, because they have the right idea to keep it modern but it's missing core gameplay.

As for them buying the rights I thought that's how it went just wasn't 100% how everything went down, cheers fo rthe clarification.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Robo_Zuul: My issue wasn't with the lack of remembrance for the original but rather that it felt so much like Oblivion and the gun play was lack luster, I did play it for a while but only got to I'd say level 7 or so. It was also the missing leveling system, when you did level it never affected much, I'm hoping with the next one there is more impact in your leveling decisions, because they have the right idea to keep it modern but it's missing core gameplay.

As for them buying the rights I thought that's how it went just wasn't 100% how everything went down, cheers fo rthe clarification.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.