Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3, PC, Steam, GFWL, Mods and playing offline.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lowbrow

Hello!

So, for reasons I won't go into, I'm seriously considering making a purchase of fallout 3 over steam (the one that comes with all the marvelous DLC packs). Now the reasons I'm gunning for the steam copy is lack of physical media, which is something that appeals to me considering my situation.

So here's the question: 

Fallout 3 on steam: 

Is it easy to install the more popular mods if you have the steam version installed?
    Biggest question: Working with both steam and Games for windows live, has anyone experienced any problems at all that I should be aware of, with playing the game sans internet connection? (To be clear, I need to know if its possible to play the game 100% offline with no problems)

Any responses are appreciated. Thanks!

RoloYoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RoloYoghurt

I have Fallout 3 installed with the DLC and it's a great game. I was considering getting it for steam but sometimes steam can be a bitch.  

I have noticed a few problems with it crashing but if you use quick save enough (F5) then when it does happen you're covered. Secondly, when I installed the game it did not enable to DLC which can be done on the the load up menu anyway. Thirdly, when playing for the first time it did not like the fact I didn't have the Games For Windows Live Client installed so I had to download that separately and install it.  Also, I have a NO-CD crack installed just (so I don't bugger up or loose the disk) and this may contribute to it freezing/crashing but I'm not sure.

I haven't tired Mods on the game so I would be the worst person to ask that question to.  

Personally I think you should buy the game and run it separately. 

Haven't played it played it offline yet but remember if you get achievements you need to log in on record them.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust
    @Lowbrow:   I have a Steam copy of Dragon Age Origins and it's pretty modded out from DragonAgeNexus. I've added a bunch of different changes to make the game perfect for my tastes and play style.  As such, it's my most favorite game ever.  Now I mention this because I also have very modded versions of Bethesda's Elder Scrolls IV and Fallout 3.  My copies of those are disc based (I had a BestBuy gift card) and they each have mod resources on the Nexus sites, ElderScrollsNexus and Fallout3Nexus.  Now, like Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3 require (or at least prefer) a mod .exe ( Fallout 3 Mod Manager) to function.  In Fallout 3, your mods have to be placed in a load order in fact.  So, once you find where Steam has placed the "DATA" folder, modding the rest is the same as modding it as if it was a disc copy.  Textures and Meshes are replaced or added to their appropriate folders, .egm and .esp files go along side in the data folder and then activated in the FO3 Mod Manager.  Don't forget ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated addon or things might not change when you add a new mod.   

I've never had any trouble that I know of in DA:O and Steam achievements if that is your thing.  Even though my game is modded, they still pop-up from time to time.  

Also, as far as DA:O, Steam and offline play, the biggest complaint I have is that any DLC added to the game (DLC and not mods), their must be an internet connection to play the game or a save from a game.  However, if you just have a base game, you can play it all offline.  I don't know if this also works on the Bethesda games, so someone will have to confirm if it's any different there.
    peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By peritus

I dont know about steam, but with a retail its definitly possible to play 100% offline, the trade-off being you wont get any achievements if you are playing with mods.
    I use alot of mods aswell and for the better/cooler mods out there you will need the "FOSE" or fallout script extender, this disables GFWL by default, if you plan on using mods that dont require FOSE then its possible to download a mod that will disable GFWL aswell.

Other then that i have had no problems whatsoever, if anything the game runs better without GFWL, but obviously conflicting mods will potentially crash youre game.

And the previously mentioned sites and tools by Penguindust are all a must, they also have alot of info you will find handy.
    Hope i helped a bit :p

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SeriouslyNow

xliveles

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.