Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout Online

Game » consists of 0 releases.

Other than the fact that it was supposed to be an MMO game set in the popular Fallout-universe, very little was known about Fallout Online. It was canceled in January 2012.

Interplay’s Fallout MMO is Officially Dead

• 149 results
    Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Cameron

Defending the current Interplay because you loved the old Fallout games is a lot like defending the current Atari because you loved the 2600. They have the same name, but they are not the same thing.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By FilipHolm

Am I the only one who thinks Bethesda and Zenimax have been acting like real fucking assholes this year?

Edit: Wait... Last year? and this year since... Ah screw it

Jeaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Jeaz

The Fallout IP died with Fallout 2, or maybe tactics. Fallout 3 was a disgrace to the IP, I'm not saying it was a completely terrible game, but it wasn't a Fallout game. Some say New Vegas was better and maybe it was, but I wouldn't support that crap any further so I never gave it a look. The sad part is that there is talent in Bethesda, I mean the TES series holds up really well. But they made Fallout into TES-post apocalyptic and ignored the parts that made the originals so good. I really loved Wayne Gretzky Hockey 2 on my Amiga though.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By penguindust

In a sense this is good news, but now I am worried that Bethesda will make their own Fallout MMO and I'd rather a Fallout 4 like Skyrim. A new Fallout Tactics would be cool though, perhaps for the 3DS or Vita.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#105  Edited By Rekt_Hed

Guys! ...I think were all missing the big picture here. In 12 months we will all be a part of a massive multiplayer game in a struggle for survival when the world becomes a massive wasteland. So fuck it

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By swoxx

@Doctorchimp said:

Legal copyright battles never change.

You win

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#107  Edited By AndrewB

Man, poor Interplay. A tale of woe ending in all that remains being taken from them. But I have to agree that while a Fallout MMO could have the potential of being crazy awesome, it would have been largely ignored. The loss of rights for past Fallout games is also bad.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#108  Edited By falling_fast

whatever. interplay's ship sailed 10 years ago

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#109  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @nERVEcenter said:

@TentPole: Yeah, fuck da big corporate cronies, dey da problem wit everyting in da world, stick it to da man.

The derogatory tinge was a nice touch.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#110  Edited By Branthog

There goes Copyright law spurring innovation and delivering to the consumer, again!

Enthasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Enthasius

Anyone else find the concept of Bethesda making an MMO terrifying? I can acclimatise to their singleplayer offerings thanks to mods, console commands and good old fashioned patience, but as soon as you take their apparent love for glitchy programming skills to a format that you cannot tamper with without being in an unofficial or unsanctioned server, it'll just break.

Rawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#112  Edited By Rawson

Everything seen about the Fallout MMO looked pretty awful, to the point where I can see things from Bethesda's point of view. Yet Another D-Grade MMORPG: Fallout Edition would have been pretty detrimental to the entire Fallout brand, hurting Bethesda, despite the fact that they had nothing to do with the development.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#113  Edited By Dagbiker

Bethesda sucks and interplay is a lame duck. Its like a 14 year old school bully still in 3rd grade beating up a 8 year old.

Odog4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Odog4ever

@Lugixx: @Lugixx said:

While I don't like what Bethesda has done with the Fallout IP, they at least did something. Interplay would've probably let the franchise fade away until it was a "hidden gem" like Arcanum. Interplay was a zombie of their former self, and I'm happy that the matters are at least settled.

Ah Arcanum. Loved that game and even got a copy from Good old Games. I would KILL to get an updated Arcanum reboot... (Picks up knife)

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By vinsanityv22

That's a shame. I mean, it's not like Zenimax was making an MMO. MMO's hit different demographics, so it's not like it would've angered Fallout 3/New Vegas fans having had existed. And, for what it's worth, whenever shit leaked about Masthead's game, it sure did look more than competent - very promising, I'd say. This whole thing was silly. @jakob187 said:

THANK. FUCKING. GOD.

The idea of a Fallout MMO was fucking HORRENDOUS! The point of Fallout is that it's a desolate post-apocalyptic world. Why the FUCK would I want my desolation to be populated like that of an MMO? It makes zero goddamn sense.

The death of this MMO is something I can celebrate greatly.

So, you're just going to pretend that legions of NPCs and factions in the traditional Fallout games totally don't go against your "desolate wasteland" theory, huh? Bone-head.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By huser

@vinsanityv22 said:

That's a shame. I mean, it's not like Zenimax was making an MMO. MMO's hit different demographics, so it's not like it would've angered Fallout 3/New Vegas fans having had existed. And, for what it's worth, whenever shit leaked about Masthead's game, it sure did look more than competent - very promising, I'd say. This whole thing was silly. @jakob187 said:

THANK. FUCKING. GOD.

The idea of a Fallout MMO was fucking HORRENDOUS! The point of Fallout is that it's a desolate post-apocalyptic world. Why the FUCK would I want my desolation to be populated like that of an MMO? It makes zero goddamn sense.

So, you're just going to pretend that legions of NPCs and factions in the traditional Fallout games totally don't go against your "desolate wasteland" theory, huh? Bone-head.

Yeah, that's a really weird take. FIRST town in the first game had TWO potential followers (well okay one was usually temporary) in it. Heck the fact there WAS a first town in like the first 15 minutes of playing in pretty much all the games sorta kiboshes that whole "desolate wasteland" thing. Let alone that not being why everyone plays even if it were true. A popular mod being the Wasteland Settler mod where players can build their own towns...

Might be a new comer where the "apocalypse is serious business" tone became more evident in Fallout 3 rather than previous games where you could have a walking, talking, and murdering Vault Boy (robot/android) companion complete with 50's colloquialisms or the freakin Star Trek Guardian of Forever being the reason FO 1+2, and less directly FO3 and New Vegas happened.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By huser

@coakroach: I'd love a Gamma World game frankly.

Given the heated discussions made for this year's GOTY at Giantbomb...an open world game with the breadth of Skyrim, the rough setting details of Fallout, and the sheer crazy (if you want it) of Saint's Row might have Game of the Decade material. Just with more sci-fi craziness than Fallout...but an equal measure of true devastation befitting an apocalypse where nukes were backup WMD's.

Daius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Daius

Honestly can't say I'm suprised or disappointed by this, it's seemed a long time coming.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#119  Edited By Chris2KLee

Meh? Was this ever a real product anyways? It always felt like something Interplay just kept around so they could hang onto what little rights they had left to Fallout.

Djangosix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Djangosix

i didnt even know Dr Doom was supposed to be in either.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Arker101

@jakob187 said:

THANK. FUCKING. GOD.

Exactly. I really like the loneliness of Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By huser

@Arker101 said:

@jakob187 said:

THANK. FUCKING. GOD.

Exactly. I really like the loneliness of Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Actually no the coda of Fallout is war never changes.

That even after a nuclear apocalypse every game has centered around another impending war. The fact there is a centralized government (apparently several) capable of stretching across several states puts "desolate" as a questionable descriptor. Every game has had you traveling around to various towns, interact and fight with dozens of people and even pick up potentially dozens of buddies (in aggregate, even excluding FO Tactics) to help out. Desolate that is not.

EDIT - Heck the PC mods that reverse Bethesda's attempts to make this apocalypse serious sorta suggest most people don't agree it should be an empty wasteland. And while some of that has been a feature even back to the first one, I think Bethesda's tone has been wrongheaded from the beginning. Heck the old crew had to create the Wild Wasteland perk just to get in the crazy they wanted in New Vegas, which for a franchise which is COMPLETELY a result of time traveling 80 years back through the Guardian of Forever to set the first game in motion...trying to pretend it's at all serious is ridiculous.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By august

@Branthog said:

There goes Copyright law spurring innovation and delivering to the consumer, again!

Yes, and what could be more innovative than an MMO based off a well established video game franchise?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#124  Edited By veektarius

@TentPole: You mean ZeniMax's lawyers. The ZeniMax corporation is run by a lawyer and so they are litigious. I really doubt that Bethesda as an independent entity would have gone through the Scrolls lawsuit, but maybe I am naive.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By dvorak

Someone needs to put out a Gamma World game. Seriously.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Arker101

@huser: Sure, you have to have towns in order to do stuff otherwise the game would be boring as heck, but just traversing the vast wasteland? That always gave me the "on my own out here" vibe to me. You can have companions, but when you throw in a mode that forces you to survive by eating, drinking and sleeping. You can't say the developers haven't felt that way about the game either. That's what made me name my character Jeremiah Johnson.

You have to have Quests and towns for the character to actually do something, but while you'r out there doing your business the design of the game(Usually being low on ammo and out numbered most of the time in combat) and the look of the landscape made you feel alone. I always traveled with Dogmeat, I will add.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Coafi

I wanted to see how a Fallout MMO would play out, but at the same time the whole point of Fallout is to be all by your lonesome.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By huser

@Arker101 said:

@huser: Sure, you have to have towns in order to do stuff otherwise the game would be boring as heck, but just traversing the vast wasteland? That always gave me the "on my own out here" vibe to me. You can have companions, but when you throw in a mode that forces you to survive by eating, drinking and sleeping. You can't say the developers haven't felt that way about the game either. That's what made me name my character Jeremiah Johnson.

You have to have Quests and towns for the character to actually do something, but while you'r out there doing your business the design of the game(Usually being low on ammo and out numbered most of the time in combat) and the look of the landscape made you feel alone. I always traveled with Dogmeat, I will add.

Plenty of games don't require towns and aren't boring. If you mean specifically RPG's then maybe that's more apt a description, but it's still not a requirement. Nothing about fighting off Radscorpions or searching forgotten ruins is dependent on having whole thriving communities or heck a multistate government. Given life doesn't particularly run on discrete quests and there are plenty of ways to provide leveling and experience in a gameplay experience without quest givers the fact that Fallout has quests centered around literally hundreds of NPC's can't just be handwaved away as not being fundamental to the universe but deciding not to take companions and wandering around alone is central to it. Especially since the combat or wandering you describe is only really evident in the latter two games rather than say Fallout 2 (with high CHA) or especially FO Tactics....and even then if you don't avail yourself of PC mods. In THOSE situations, I'm rolling 6-7 deep in a Chevy or Hummer.

Again thriving communities, plenty of human interactions, and companions have been a part of the game since about 15 minutes into Fallout 1. The idea that being out there and alone is fundamental to the game is correct. Again for about 5 minutes depending on how long you wander around in the starting cave. It's fine if that's what you want, I ain't telling you what to like or how to play, only that definitive statements on what Fallout TRULY is and including desolate lonely wasteland into that as the ONLY reality is something I WILL disagree with. ALL the games have at least tangentially involved bringing humanity together and raising it out of the post apocalypse. Heck it's spiritual ancestor Wasteland (note the name) involves you starting and continuing to accrue a 6 man band to go around various towns and fight post nuclear craziness.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By huser

@dvorak said:

Someone needs to put out a Gamma World game. Seriously.

It's what I kept thinking during the GOTY hurt feelings session. "Look guys we could solve this tomorrow if Gamma World were made into a video game". As serious or as insane as you want it. Join a faction, be a wildcard, be a sociopath, be a Vault Dweller, be Mad Max, BE A SENTIENT CACTUS!

E_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By E_rock

Noo! I've been kinda excited to see this game ever since I heard about it years ago. I think it could of been fun.

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#131  Edited By Maedhros925

Regardless of what you thought of Fallout 3, whether you thought it was a true "Fallout" game or not, it's the only Fallout you were going to get. When's the last time Interplay put out anything you actually played? I loved the Descent franchise, but I'm not holding my breath for Descent 4. If I'm ever going to see it, it's going to be made by someone else, and it's probably going to be very different. Hell, after twelve years, it would have to be. That's just how it goes.

Roasted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Roasted

So it's Fallout:NY next? the theme song is pretty obvious too.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Funkydupe

@Arker101: You're alone in your Fallout games.? I can see people, animals, monsters everywhere I go.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Arker101

@Funkydupe: Are you just messin' with me, or do you not actually get what I'm saying?

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Arker101

@Funkydupe: @huser: I just remembered. Your characters name in Fallout 3 is officially the "Lone Wanderer"/Argument

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By huser

@Arker101: Interesting, I don't recall DWELLING in a Vault for very long in Fallout 1.

EDIT - And hey the Lone Wanderer wanders in a place called the Capital Wasteland, which despite the name has hundreds if not thousands of denizens in a couple square miles with still recognizable tourist traps...so yeah.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#137  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Not surprised, Fallout Online seems to have been in development hell since the Van Buren days. I do think Fallout's world would be a perfect setting for an MMO though, especially one in the pre-WOW style where every player doesn't necessarily have to be The Greatest Hero Of All Times, The Holy Savior Foretold By The Ancient Legends, but rather something in the vein of Eve or Love, where you mainly just have to survive in a harsh world among other people who might be friendly, but are more likely antagonistic. The traditional Fallout gameplay doesn't lend itself too well to an MMO though, neither Bethesda's VATS heavy FPS design nor the original turn based gameplay (though I suppose Fallout Tactics' semi-turnbased system wouldn't be impossible to convert).

The fan made Fallout 2 based MMO still remains.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#138  Edited By ProfessorEss

Fuck. Now that game that was never going to come out is never going to come out.

jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#139  Edited By jeffk38uk

I don't know why a few people are still disappointed that Interplay couldn't make the fallout mmo they wanted. The Interplay that they remember isn't the Interplay that barely exists now.

Chris_Ihao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Chris_Ihao

@ProfessorEss: aaaaw

greenblattsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#141  Edited By greenblattsam

I still want into that damn beta! I was signed up for the Interplay Version.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Ben99

That blows. Why would they start the news in the first place? They better do something about as it could a potential financial success for the publisher. I'm still wondering about the VATs system and how could that possibly implemented online as it could be a hiccup to an otherwise great game.

Shame it had to end. I didn't want to see that coming.

ArmedForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By ArmedForce

Bethesda's legal team is hyperactive.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By huser

@ProfessorEss said:

Fuck. Now that game that was never going to come out is never going to come out.

Crazy enough, I think this news means that game that was never going to come out is now, almost assuredly, going to come out...

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By huser

@fisk0 said:

Not surprised, Fallout Online seems to have been in development hell since the Van Buren days. I do think Fallout's world would be a perfect setting for an MMO though, especially one in the pre-WOW style where every player doesn't necessarily have to be The Greatest Hero Of All Times, The Holy Savior Foretold By The Ancient Legends, but rather something in the vein of Eve or Love, where you mainly just have to survive in a harsh world among other people who might be friendly, but are more likely antagonistic. The traditional Fallout gameplay doesn't lend itself too well to an MMO though, neither Bethesda's VATS heavy FPS design nor the original turn based gameplay (though I suppose Fallout Tactics' semi-turnbased system wouldn't be impossible to convert).

The fan made Fallout 2 based MMO still remains.

Just so long as I can get a Highwayman and fill it with 5 other people and go on roadtrips, any MMO work that allows that would be great.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#146  Edited By MeatSim

I don't want a Fallout or Elder Scrolls MMO anyway.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Fallout MMO? No thank you.

Cday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Cday

There was another Fallout MMO made by some russian dudes I played awhile ago. It was awesome because there were pretty much no rules. They've since likely toned it down to be boring as shit like every other MMO on the market.

Kasswara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Kasswara

Sadface.

OzGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By OzGamer

just having a bug free game would be a great next step

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.