Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

Incredible Far Cry 2 map editor video

• 60 results
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

This game seriously just jumped into my must buy list.  I'd assumed that it was just going to be another gimped version for consoles like Far Cry 1 was.  Not only does it look like it runs but it looks like it runs well.  Really damn well.  Not sure if they've cut out the loading screens transitioning from testing maps to editing them but damn that video is slick.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/08/19/far-cry-2s-map-editor-is-flipping-amazing/

ALSO OF NOTE:  Read the Halo 3 fanboys defend Halo 3's Forge at the expense of their dignity in the comments.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

Oh my god man, I love you.

In a brotherly way.

I've been waiting for this reveal for months. Hell, it was already in my top 5 for the fall, but...

FUCK. YEAH.

Edit: Here's an embed, everyone.

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I know right?  How freaking awesome is that?  I just hope that we can map share too.  MS made the exception for Halo 3 but didn't for N+.  Wonder what they'll do with this 3rd party game

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jayge_

I dunno. You could still (sorta) save N+ user episodes if you had played them before, and were still in the game; but it really didn't have the content structure of N.

Maybe FC2 with Ubisoft's "fuck you, we make you money!" attitude can pull some levers.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By thebeast

That's really damn impressive - is that really a seamless transition between the editor and gameplay? I know it's been done before but it seems more impressive on that scale, somehow.
    This will be big on PC. and huge if MS allows content sharing...

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By samcotts

Holy fricken cow, you've just sold Far Cry 2 to me!

I haven't been this stunned by the awesomeness of a game in a long time. I didn't think Far Cry 2 would have much say in GOTY, but watching that shows that this could just be Game of the Year. Looks amazing.

What makes this extra special, I never thought such a detailed map editor would come to consoles. I am buying this on day one.

My geekyness is on full display here, I'm actually feeling very excited. Thanks for posting.

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By BlindEffekt

Damn, i had no intention to play Farcry 2 until now, excellent find!

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

lol they updated it from the first one and made it far better im so happy

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

oh and sick profile image tc

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I really don't think that it is that seemless.  I suspect that its been edited.  The demo guy doesn't seem to actually choose where he wants to spawn.  Typically he'd need to chose a spawn location.  Then again showing the guy creating spawn points, not good demo skills so it still could be that seemless.

The weather and time of day things impress me the most.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    IncredibleBulk92 said:
    "I really don't think that it is that seemless.  I suspect that its been edited.  The demo guy doesn't seem to actually choose where he wants to spawn.  Typically he'd need to chose a spawn location.  Then again showing the guy creating spawn points, not good demo skills so it still could be that seemless.

The weather and time of day things impress me the most."
    i can guarantee that it seamless the old one was and this one is improved trust me it seamless 
    Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Shocker

That looks sweet. I think I will be buying this game.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

ms allows content sharing, just not external content creation. 

Supreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Supreme
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "ms allows content sharing, just not external content creation. "

I'm not really all that knowledgable about this stuff.

What is external content creation? Didn't UT3 have an issue (besides that it was disappointing) with content sharing on the 360? Why would something like Far Cry 2's map editor or Halo 3's forge (maybe future map editor) be allowed but not with UT3?
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_

Because Halo is Bungie, as in Microsoft's Bitch. Halo could do anything it wanted to get ahead of the competition and MS would let it.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Relys

This completely blows Halo 3's Forge editor away!

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

While we're all excited about Far Cry 2 (well I am)  Aparently this is the 360 version too

EDIT:  HA! Cracked it! Thanks Jayge!

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Endogene

its nothing new to what the unreal editor offers actually less but the ease of use sure is impressive

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_
    IncredibleBulk92 said:
    "While we're all excited about Far Cry 2 (well I am)  Aparently this is the 360 version too

EDIT: How the hell do you embed stuff?

Here's the URL anyways

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14226061/far-cry-2-/videos/farcry2livewire_072308.html;jsessionid=1ora7vuhouy3j"
    Find the embed code somewhere on the website, copy it, and paste it into the box that comes up when you click the far-right icon above the post creator on GB that says "Enter HTML Code" when you mouseover.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By xruntime

This was a pretty damn good video. I'm impressed.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_

I think my favorite part was the fact that there doesn't appear to be any kind of gimmick like Forge's money count, which was stupid. It should never have been made into a "gametype".

Also, the teraforming looks great. The map template is huge. I wonder if you can make it smaller, or you have to border off with mountains? And then, what happens when you put in a hang-glider or a plane?

POSSIBILITIES.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Jayge said:
    "I think my favorite part was the fact that there doesn't appear to be any kind of gimmick like Forge's money count, which was stupid. It should never have been made into a "gametype".

Also, the teraforming looks great. The map template is huge. I wonder if you can make it smaller, or you have to border off with mountains? And then, what happens when you put in a hang-glider or a plane?

POSSIBILITIES."
    i dont think there are planes .......
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jayge_

There's at least a plane prop, which was shown in the video.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By samcotts
    ZombieHunter said:
    "Jayge said:
    "I think my favorite part was the fact that there doesn't appear to be any kind of gimmick like Forge's money count, which was stupid. It should never have been made into a "gametype".

POSSIBILITIES."
    i dont think there are planes ......."
      They showed some of the vehicles, a plane was definitely there. I don't think you can fly them though.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Jayge said:
    "There's at least a plane prop, which was shown in the video."

lol i dont think you can use it  though 
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jayge_

A boy can dream.

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Actually while the guy is waiting for the flames to spread and he's spinning around I noticed that theres a small red to green bar in the upper left that moves quite randomly.  I wonder if thats the chance of a frame rate drop in the current area due to the amount of objects and stuff that's going on.  I'm still betting that Far Cry 2 will chug a little under a lot of stress.  Don't take my word on this but I'd assume that the map could be as big as the single player map potentially, I mean the tech is there to stream a 50km^2 map.  Actually come to think of it will these be single player or multiplayer maps?  Will I be able to create a coop map and beat it with my friends or is it strictly for deathmatch mode?  It would be awesome to be able to create my own defend the castle style mode for me and a friend or whatever.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    IncredibleBulk92 said:
    "Actually while the guy is waiting for the flames to spread and he's spinning around I noticed that theres a small red to green bar in the upper left that moves quite randomly.  I wonder if thats the chance of a frame rate drop in the current area due to the amount of objects and stuff that's going on.  I'm still betting that Far Cry 2 will chug a little under a lot of stress.  Don't take my word on this but I'd assume that the map could be as big as the single player map potentially, I mean the tech is there to stream a 50km^2 map.  Actually come to think of it will these be single player or multiplayer maps?  Will I be able to create a coop map and beat it with my friends or is it strictly for deathmatch mode?  It would be awesome to be able to create my own defend the castle style mode for me and a friend or whatever."
    ok i know your wrong about as big as single player map and the old farcry you could have like 300 objects in view and the frame rate wouldn't dip at all and its strictly for multiplayer but im sure there will be a large amount of multi player mode to choose from 
    and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By and333
    ZombieHunter said:
    "Jayge said:

POSSIBILITIES."
    there was a plane in the video it was on or near the train.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    and333 said:
    "ZombieHunter said:
    "Jayge said:

POSSIBILITIES."
    there was a plane in the video it was on or near the train."
    dosent mean you can use it and im pretty sure you can cause ive seen a bunch of interviews and nobody mentions a plane but you think they would if you could use one right?
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By xruntime

They are multiplayer maps only

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    ZombieHunter said:
    "ok i know your wrong about as big as single player map and the old farcry you could have like 300 objects in view and the frame rate wouldn't dip at all and its strictly for multiplayer but im sure there will be a large amount of multi player mode to choose from "

No no you misunderstand I wasn't saying thats what will happen, just saying I'd imagine it would be possible if we were creating single player maps.  A little gutted that its multiplayer only, I would have loved to see a coop mode in here somewhere.  I'll have to find out more about Far Cry 2 and its mutliplayer now, but honestly the biggest surprise to me so far is how well it runs and how good it looks.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    IncredibleBulk92 said:
    "ZombieHunter said:
    "ok i know your wrong about as big as single player map and the old farcry you could have like 300 objects in view and the frame rate wouldn't dip at all and its strictly for multiplayer but im sure there will be a large amount of multi player mode to choose from "

No no you misunderstand I wasn't saying thats what will happen, just saying I'd imagine it would be possible if we were creating single player maps.  A little gutted that its multiplayer only, I would have loved to see a coop mode in here somewhere.  I'll have to find out more about Far Cry 2 and its mutliplayer now, but honestly the biggest surprise to me so far is how well it runs and how good it looks."
    sorry for the misunderstanding the thing everyone needs to realize the is that this really is just an update from far cry 1 same basic thing the map in far crys 1 map editor was just as big but it appears there is alot more you can do in farcrys to map editor and im undeniable excited 
    Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ma7moud

Nothing surprising since FC instinct predator already have a map editor. Now they should show us the multiplayer.

Avatar image for blacksuitandtie9
    BlackSuitAndTie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BlackSuitAndTie9

This looks leagues better than the original game. :D

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jayge_
    Ma7moud said:
    "Nothing surprising since FC instinct predator already have a map editor. Now they should show us the multiplayer."
    We all knew Far Cry 2 would have an editor. We didn't realize it was so awesome.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Jayge said:
    "Ma7moud said:
    "Nothing surprising since FC instinct predator already have a map editor. Now they should show us the multiplayer."
    We all knew Far Cry 2 would have an editor. We didn't realize it was so awesome."
    Lies i did ....TeeHHeee
    Damonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Damonation

That was pretty fucking sweet.

SG_Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SG_Mahonay

A lot of hours are about to be wasted.  When I used to play Far Cry Instincts on the Xbox I would spend hour after hour making maps out of anything that popped into my head, or just jumping into matchmaking and checking out everyone else's maps.  Now that the map creator has been bulked up even more...I'm afraid about what's going to happen to all of my spare time.

This game was already a must buy for me, now it's looking like it could easily be my favorite game of the year.
    ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#40  Edited By ManMadeGod

Looks good but I'm still waiting for a game to ship with a Single Player map editor.

IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I agree man using this map to create single player levels created by players, uploaded to a file share or something like that and then played against the AI would be sweet.  Just to make it perfect, if they allowed coop levels... That would be awesome

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Wolverine

Yeah the map editor was always the best feature in Far Cry.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By banksrob

ime going to make the whitehouse or somthing similar

BothBarsOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BothBarsOn

This is one of those moment where I think "Holy crap! It's the future already!"

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shawn

Who's excited for this game?
    <--- This guy right here is.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Shawn said:
    "Who's excited for this game?
    <--- This guy right here is."
    see it applies for me also
    Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Shawn
    ZombieHunter said:
    "Shawn said:
    see it applies for me also"
    It applies for anyone that quotes it really.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Shawn said:
    "ZombieHunter said:
    "Shawn said:
    see it applies for me also"
    It applies for anyone that quotes it really."
    not if every one starts to quote it then they just POSERS and thats a fact lol
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jayge_

You're a bastion of hypocrisy, Zombie XD

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mrfluke

wow in the beginning it was meh imo but now its definitely very impressive

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.