Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

How Far Cry Should Have Started

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By EVO

I should preface this by saying I haven't completed Far Cry 3 yet.

I've just rescued Keith and upon returning him to the cave I realised that I don't give a shit about any of these characters. Perhaps it's the writing or the voice acting; perhaps they're just unlikable. In fact, I find the villains Vaas and Buck much more interesting than Jason and the gang. For a game that often desperately attempts to evoke pathos from the player, this is a significant problem. A problem which I think is a result of the way the game begins:

While this is a fun montage it teaches us very little about each character, besides establishing them as a bunch of hard drinking adrenaline junkies, all of which we will soon go to extreme lengths to reunite and be expected to care about. A memorable intro no doubt, but it feels rushed in a relatively lengthy game.

Here's how I would've done it:

Cut out all the bullshit. The drinking on the beach, kicking the coconut tree, riding the jet ski; cut it. Instead, the story picks up in a small plane en route to the jump point. Everyone is high fiving and shit just like on the beach only in this scenario we'd actually learn something about each character. When the plane reaches the jump point they jump out, in order of least to most important character to the narrative, Jason and in turn us, the player.

This is just off the top of my head. I'm sure it isn't the best intro, but it's better than what we got. Here's hoping the second half of the game improves.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.