Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 10, 2009

Project Origin is the direct sequel to Monolith's spooky first-person shooter, F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Demo Impressions

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Edited By Wildfire570

There is only one thing that I must say after playing the demo: Flippin' Awesome!
    It was everything that I wanted in a FPS. But to make a short story even longer, I will break it down.

Controls: Most shooters mechanics are standard and slightly different. This one is no different but thats not a bad thing. Grenades and switching weapons can be a bit difficult when you have more than 2 weapons but its nothing that would dent the game in anyway. They didn't feel awkward and using iron sights are pretty handy.

Graphics: Really pushed the envelope in terms of graphics. The lighting in the game is excellent and can make the game feel claustrophobic and tense when in the indoors and the lighting is strong enough in the outdoors to where you won't get lost in anyway. The gore in the game is top notch; blasting your enemies and seeing blood splatter makes me blood drunk. The characters look great as well and don't look exactly the same most of the time. In the horror moments in the game is where its at the strongest though, adding all the mesh of blurriness and other crazy color changing elements really make it an excellent horror experience. Also Alma touches you and it scared the living **** outta me.

Shooting/Weapons: The weapons are pretty much standard assault rifles, shotguns, sub machine guns, etc. The guns overall feel real good when you shoot your enemies and recoil isn't wild. What stood out the most for me was the EPA (Elite Powered Armor). When I had control of the thing I was like "OMFG! A mech!!!! This Rocks!". You pretty much get to Annihilate your enemies with two gatling guns and a volley of rockets. Destruction of the enviornment and your enemies is very satisfying. With the Slow-Mo ability was pretty useful in plenty of situation and I never thought blowing you enemies with a sniper rifle and seeing blood fly out could be so cool.

A.I.: Excellent. And they actually make for some pretty tense moments; more specifically the enemies were flushing me out while I was covering myself from a sniper. I was forced to retreat to another car and sure enough the sniper was right on my tail. The enemies on the ground didn't know where I was until the Sniper shot a car that made the alarm go off and I was like "Oh Snapple, they spotted me!!!". Sure enough the enemies started closing in on me. It was alot of fun and real intense.

Play this demo! I promise you that it will entertain you. I cannot wait for this game to come out!

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Wildfire570

There is only one thing that I must say after playing the demo: Flippin' Awesome!
    It was everything that I wanted in a FPS. But to make a short story even longer, I will break it down.

Controls: Most shooters mechanics are standard and slightly different. This one is no different but thats not a bad thing. Grenades and switching weapons can be a bit difficult when you have more than 2 weapons but its nothing that would dent the game in anyway. They didn't feel awkward and using iron sights are pretty handy.

Graphics: Really pushed the envelope in terms of graphics. The lighting in the game is excellent and can make the game feel claustrophobic and tense when in the indoors and the lighting is strong enough in the outdoors to where you won't get lost in anyway. The gore in the game is top notch; blasting your enemies and seeing blood splatter makes me blood drunk. The characters look great as well and don't look exactly the same most of the time. In the horror moments in the game is where its at the strongest though, adding all the mesh of blurriness and other crazy color changing elements really make it an excellent horror experience. Also Alma touches you and it scared the living **** outta me.

Shooting/Weapons: The weapons are pretty much standard assault rifles, shotguns, sub machine guns, etc. The guns overall feel real good when you shoot your enemies and recoil isn't wild. What stood out the most for me was the EPA (Elite Powered Armor). When I had control of the thing I was like "OMFG! A mech!!!! This Rocks!". You pretty much get to Annihilate your enemies with two gatling guns and a volley of rockets. Destruction of the enviornment and your enemies is very satisfying. With the Slow-Mo ability was pretty useful in plenty of situation and I never thought blowing you enemies with a sniper rifle and seeing blood fly out could be so cool.

A.I.: Excellent. And they actually make for some pretty tense moments; more specifically the enemies were flushing me out while I was covering myself from a sniper. I was forced to retreat to another car and sure enough the sniper was right on my tail. The enemies on the ground didn't know where I was until the Sniper shot a car that made the alarm go off and I was like "Oh Snapple, they spotted me!!!". Sure enough the enemies started closing in on me. It was alot of fun and real intense.

Play this demo! I promise you that it will entertain you. I cannot wait for this game to come out!

sgt_match

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By sgt_match

Actually I thought it was kind of meh.  The game could go either way.  A few good Boo moments but nothing new.  The Mech sequence wasn't what it could have been.  Didn't blow my mind the way the first FEAR demo did.  I did like that it felt better suited to consoles than the original.

merlinisg0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By merlinisg0d

I pretty much agree with sgt match, it's either gonna be decent or total crap and I really didn't like the whole mech thing....

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Drizzle

Is it just me or are the attempts to "scare" in the demo not scary in the least bit?

Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Shadow2K6

I thought it was good.  It seems like a lot better game for consoles then the original was and it seemed like the toned downed the difficulty since the original was pretty hard compared to other shooters.  I did like the animations though.  Like when you shoot someone they actually look like they're being shot instead of just falling to the ground.  Still I wouldn't say 2009 GOTY material but I think its going to be a solid shooter.

nkornek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By nkornek

I absolutely loved the original fear and it seems like everything that was great about the original carried over
    What I have to say really did it for me was the graphics, the first game blew me away a few years ago and now this one just plain looks better than any game I've ever seen on the highest settings

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
    GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By GobiasIndustries

Yeah, I thought it was just okay. I think the scary parts worked pretty well, and the mech fight was kind of fun. I don't know about anyone else, but the PC demo for me kept lagging and freezing up, even on medium settings.

Anyway the shooting is more console focused like everyone said, which I don't want in my PC game :\, and the other stuff just didn't impress me too much.  For instance, why does every body I shoot explode like a blood balloon?

I think this is one of those games that needs to take an example from games like GTA IV and Dead Space, where when I shoot someone in the leg, I want to see that I shot them in the leg.

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maru

I think it's too early to judge how scary this game will be, it was only a demo and full game will have diffrent pacing.

I hope Monolith don't screw PC gamers on this, because majority of fans of this series are PC gamers.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Can not wait , will certainly purchase it

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Phished0ne

methinks the best part of the demo was the movie on the TV in the one classroom..but otherwise, a solid shoota. The Atmosphere is good, shooting is pretty good, the one thing that got me is it seems like the proportions on stuff are off a little  bit, might just be me though.

Also, i must admit, the part where Alma grabs you actually made me jump.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.