Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FIFA 11

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 28, 2010

FIFA 11 is the yearly, best selling football (soccer) game by EA Sports. FIFA 11 features 11 v 11 online multiplayer and the ability to play as a goalkeeper.

Sports games look like shit

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Pessh

Decided to give the Fifa 11 demo one more play before I went to buy the full game because was still a litte unsure. Fifa is usually a day one purchase for me but how 10 looked really bugged me. These games reuse so much, menus, assets, hardly ever adding anything new. (This years new animations are nice though.) Honestly I think sports games just look bad, not just fifa, I play Madden, Tiger woods etc too. They're not horrible, but all they have to do is a pitch and the player models, no enviroments, nothing crazy, and this is the best they can come up with? Look at shit like Final Fantasy, Bioshock etc. They have to do so much more and it all looks so much better. I was playing Juventus and saw something that pretty much summed up what I dislike about sports games. On 10 there was a hair model that was messed up, dudes head would clip through it so it looked like he had a bold patch. Did they fix it? no they use the exact same hair model, no fix, still fucked up. Fuzzy edges, shorts clipping through shorts. Maybe its an age thing, cause I'd used to buy these games every year but I'd rather fuck a duck than fork out forty quid for this lazy exuse of a game this year. Probably not a big deal for most people but little stuff like that bugs the hell out of me. Guess I'll do the same as I did with Madden and skip a year. Amazes me the flak that L4D2 when shit like this still goes on.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Pessh

Decided to give the Fifa 11 demo one more play before I went to buy the full game because was still a litte unsure. Fifa is usually a day one purchase for me but how 10 looked really bugged me. These games reuse so much, menus, assets, hardly ever adding anything new. (This years new animations are nice though.) Honestly I think sports games just look bad, not just fifa, I play Madden, Tiger woods etc too. They're not horrible, but all they have to do is a pitch and the player models, no enviroments, nothing crazy, and this is the best they can come up with? Look at shit like Final Fantasy, Bioshock etc. They have to do so much more and it all looks so much better. I was playing Juventus and saw something that pretty much summed up what I dislike about sports games. On 10 there was a hair model that was messed up, dudes head would clip through it so it looked like he had a bold patch. Did they fix it? no they use the exact same hair model, no fix, still fucked up. Fuzzy edges, shorts clipping through shorts. Maybe its an age thing, cause I'd used to buy these games every year but I'd rather fuck a duck than fork out forty quid for this lazy exuse of a game this year. Probably not a big deal for most people but little stuff like that bugs the hell out of me. Guess I'll do the same as I did with Madden and skip a year. Amazes me the flak that L4D2 when shit like this still goes on.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By dbz1995

Ever tried playing a cricket game? They always try innovative new things to keep their game fresh and different.

Pity they all suck.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pessh
    @dbz1995: Yes actually. Played the EA ones on PS2 and that Brian Lara one on 360.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By dbz1995
    @Pessh said:
    " @dbz1995: Yes actually. Played the EA ones on PS2 and that Brian Lara one on 360. "
    The best one still is the PS1 one, and that's not being all nostalgic.
    DaSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DaSoul

I think Fifa 11 looks rather good,but probably cuz im a PC gamer and pretty much have waited for about 5 years for them to release an actual good game instead of the PS2 ports and slightly updated PS2 ports of 09 and 10,so im pretty happy with this years game.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TwoOneFive

say that to MLB 10 The Show 

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pessh
    @TwoOneFive: lol you're funny

@DaSoul: It's not that it looks bad. It's that all they have to do it a stadium and some player models, these games should like ridiculousy good. That and the lazyness of the devs.
    IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By IkariNoTekken

A ton of AI control programming goes into sports games, more than most other genres in fact. Stuff like player movement, body contact and interaction, so I'm not surprised there are hiccups every now and again. Also these are annual games, so they probably decide to add features and update player/team stats instead of improving all the art assets etc.  

I can understand your frustration though, I've seen a ton of clipping and other graphical hiccups but the AI is doing a ton of work and to be honest the camera doesn't zoom in that often for me to care. Oh, and the fact I never buy sports games full price on release probably helps.

DaSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DaSoul
    @Pessh: True,but at least its more than x new animations for the pc this year.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Pessh said:
    " @TwoOneFive: lol you're funny

@DaSoul: It's not that it looks bad. It's that all they have to do it a stadium and some player models, these games should like ridiculousy good. That and the lazyness of the devs. "
    what's so funny, the show looks incredible. every animation is spot on. the audience is totally detailed. every stadium is painstakingly accurate. every player is created to look just like  him in real life and even behave the same way, especially their routines at the plate. its really impressive and the game never misses a beat, you can actually watch in spectator mode and you can almost believe you're watching a real game because theres never a pause in the animating of the game. 
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By valrog

You say they "only" have to make the models and a pitch. And then you go and compare it to Bioshock. I'm sorry, but that's silly. Bioshock has no more than 15 (I doubt it's even more than 10) unique models, where in FIFA they have to model hundreds of players (Hell, maybe even over thousand) and every player has to looks like the footballer in real life. I won't even comment on the animations and other aspects that make FIFA so goddamn Epic.

Maybe you're right about the menus, but the one we have works, so why change it? You don't really need a Idon'tknowwhatkindof UI, it's not like you need a huge immersion like in let's say RPGs or something. As long as it doesn't have the Windows-like UI, I'm happy. In fact, I find the UI in FIFA rather Elegant.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pinworm45
    @valrog said:
    " You say they "only" have to make the models and a pitch. And then you go and compare it to Bioshock. I'm sorry, but that's silly. Bioshock has no more than 15 (I doubt it's even more than 10) unique models, where in FIFA they have to model hundreds of players (Hell, maybe even over thousand) and every player has to looks like the footballer in real life.  "
    Not to be a dick but you have absolutely no idea how modeling works.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By valrog
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @valrog said:
    " You say they "only" have to make the models and a pitch. And then you go and compare it to Bioshock. I'm sorry, but that's silly. Bioshock has no more than 15 (I doubt it's even more than 10) unique models, where in FIFA they have to model hundreds of players (Hell, maybe even over thousand) and every player has to looks like the footballer in real life.  "
    Not to be a dick but you have absolutely no idea how modeling works. "
    Enlighten me.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pessh
    @valrog:  They have to faces, which all use pre made hairstyles, nothing individual, and a few body shapes. Oh and an entire stadium. Bioshock and many other games have entire worlds and envirmoments to make. Fifa still looks like cartoony, they have so little to do, that it should look fucking amazing. 

@TwoOneFive: The crowd looked horrible, the water looked horrible, the mountains or whatever in the background looked horrible, some of the running animations looked awkward. Did hear good things about it though.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pinworm45
    @valrog said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    " @valrog said:
    Not to be a dick but you have absolutely no idea how modeling works. "
    Enlighten me. "
    Every single object in a game is a model (some parts can be done with level editing, but for the most part, it's all models. And level editing is similiar anyway albeit way faster but only capable of basic objects). 

Literally, everything. Those audio logs that you click on probably took several days to make. You have to create the model in a model maker, which can take a large amount of time depending on the complexity of the model. Someone then has to draw (and/or take pictures) to create textures. Said textures must then be applied to the model, as well as factoring in things such as lighting and mapping. 

That must be done for literally everything. Every single coffee cup, audio log, picture frame, health kit, vial, suitcase, bookshelf, ammo dispenser, and on and on and on. There's THOUSANDS of assets in Bioshock. Models don't just mean people or characters or monsters (those just require animation which takes a lot of time too, although things like suitcases probably require animation too if they open when thrown, for example). 

However, in FIFA or other sports games, generally only a few models are used (thin, average, muscular). These models can then be easily scaled if necessary for individual players (usually it's not, maybe once in a while for unique characters that people care more about). Scaling a model is incredibly easy and nowhere near as time consuming as say, creating a new model like an oil drum or something.  

The faces themselves are the only things that might need a bit of editing, but even then, a lot of it can come down to texture. However, even if each face is done on a model-level, it's still nowhere near as time consuming or monotonous as creating all the models required in an FPS game (albeit several have to be done for each player, but it's still not enough to eclipse the amount required in an FPS). 

Animation also isn't required for each individual player. Just one animation set is required for 1 player model, and each player can follow that, despite having a unique face or scaled body. 

But to answer the OP, the reason sports games don't look as good or are janky is because of the amount of calculations done, I suspect. There's more done on the fly, and as such you wouldn't want slow down. 

But they probably could look a LOT better if one was done from the ground up, rather than simply making minor improvements each year, he's right about that.
    Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Bigrhyno

NBA 2K11 is gorgeous.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hockeymask27

I always thought the sports games looked pretty. Maybe not NHL 2k but any other sport game looks nice.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By btman

NHL 11 looks great and plays great.

ybe007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ybe007

Sports games start to look worse as you add more player models on the field. Madden & FIFA look the worst & I think EA is just lazy with the Tiger Woods game. NBA 2K11 looks fantastic though and so do the NHL games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.