Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VIII

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Feb 11, 1999

In the eighth numbered Final Fantasy title, Squall and his band of mercenaries fight to save their world from conquest and destruction. It introduced several new concepts to the franchise, including a subplot with an alternate main character, level-scaling enemies, and the Junction system.

Help! Can anyone hear me?!

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jimmi

Hi there, wasn't sure anyone would see this on a dead forum. I picked this game up yesterday on PSN for 6.99 and I'm liking it a lot so far (just beat giant spider robot), but I have a few questions. The whole Junction system is not very intuitive and there are a LOT of menus to jump around in.

1. How often should I be using "Draw" on enemies to get spells? I've been trying to keep the number of spells I have for each person at 30 or above, but it doesn't seem to affect the damage the spells do. Does the number of spells you have only add to the bonuses you get when junctioning magic? I'm not even sure this is right after typing it all out...

2. Squall doesn't seem to be doing as much damage as the other party members... what's up with that?

3. Can I do that timing hit with spells too? Any tips for those?.. they're hard as hell.

That's it for now.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Jimmi said:

3. Can I do that timing hit with spells too? Any tips for those?.. they're hard as hell.

Not sure what you mean by that. You mean like Squall's Limit Break? That's only for that.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Petiew

I barely used magic, apart from buffing up my stats. The more you have junctioned the greater the increase, so try and get 99 of each spell even though its tedious. If you're going to use spells have some seperate ones, don't use the ones junctioned to your stats.
    Squall probably doesn't have a GF equipped that allows you to junction and increase his attack.
    The timing only works with the gunblade.

Been a long time since I played, but hopefully its mostly correct.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jimmi

@Video_Game_King: I meant the hitting R1 when an Attack is about to land to get a boost.

@Petiew: Cool, that makes sense. Thanks. Should I have specific GFs on specific characters? I just kind of stuck them on random characters so Squall does have a GF with which I can increase his attack with elemental damage. It doesn't seem to do much though.

Does the type of GF determine the strength of the elemental attack bonus? For example Junctioning Blizzard with a fire GF.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By M_Shini

Try and keep the same GF's with the same person each time. E.G if i have zell in my party he is always the guy that has ifrit, the more a character use's a gf they're compatibility meter goes up, which basicly helps the GF atb guage to go down allot faster, also if you unlock the "Boost" ability on your gf when you summon them and they go through they're crazy long animation Hold down the select button, then mash Square super duper loads! Also the spell aura is awesome helps allot with limit breaks, umm Ultima is a great spell to junction on any stat. If your able to Beat as many of the SEED tests its better sooner rather than later for more moneys. Oh and make sure you always draw on boss's. And the boss's level sort of sync's to whatever Squall is so you don;t really need to grind, unless its for stocking spells.

Someone else can explain the junctioning stuff :P

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Giefcookie

The amount of damage your summons do increases based on how much a certain character has that GF equipped, thats about it when it comes to who should have which GF.

As stated before the closer your equipped spell count is to 99 the more it will buff the stat its junctioned to.

You should always have Draw on atleast 1 character, especially when exploring new areas/fighting bosses since a bunch of the GFs can only be attained from using Draw on certain bosses. When it comes to magic, you should keep an eye on your enemies to see when they shift from a "tier" of magic to the next, from Fire to Fira etc. and at that point grind some Draw to boost your stats. You are pretty early on so it doesnt seem like a big deal yet but when later you start to get more junction opportunities, having stacks of 99 magic will be a bigger deal.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By rjayb89

That whole pulling the trigger thing applies to Squall and his gunblade only. It's like pulling the trigger on his gunblade. And if you must know how it works, it basically vibrates the sword which results in higher damage.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By donchipotle

Until you get the Refine GF ability, draw at least 50 spells. 100 if you want to break the game.

Also don't use magic you have junctioned. What you want to do is junction the magic to your stats. If your equipped GF has, say, 'Atk-J' as an ability, you can equip magic to your attack stat and you will do more damage with physical attacks. The stronger magic you have equipped to your stats, the better those stats will be. Example, 100 fire junctioned to attack will have you doing more damage than 50 fire, but 50 fira will be better than 100 fire. If you start using magic you have junctioned, your stats will decrease.

Once you learn Refine or Card Mod, you can turn items and extra cards into spells which speeds up the drawing process.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimmi

Thanks for helping me out guys, this game is crazy complicated. I'll go play and learn myself soon, but I had a few final questions.

I found a weapons research and have the materials... How do I use it?

So I should be summoning the GFs more? But they are so much lower in level than me...

Thanks again.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nottle

Does anyone know if it is really worth playing the card game to get lionheart in disc 1?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.