Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XII

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 16, 2006

The last Final Fantasy game released on the PS2, Final Fantasy XII is distinguished by its condition-driven "gambit" battle system, its Monster Hunter-like open environments and side quests, and its setting in the existing fictional universe of Ivalice.

Any Tips?

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By feargalr

Im just starting to play this, I finished FFX yesterday and Im starting this now... I played it when it first came out a few years back, but for some reason it didn't click with me, (neither did FF9 but I finished that last summer and I really enjoyed it) but Im giving it another chance now...  Its weird, I have pretty much no memory of this game, I vaugely remember the first city of the game, and some sort of big thing drilling like platform in the desert but aside from that nothing...

So aside from the obvious grind like crazy any tips? One of my friends told me of some chests not to open to get a spear, anything else? Keep this relatively spoiler free please :)

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

figure out which characters you want to turn into tanks and healers.   Then go from there.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By feargalr
    @Marz: I meant game specific hints :P Like getting all the destruction sphere treasures in FFX for Anima or the Yuffie and Vincent stuff in FF7, or the extra summons in FF8.. that kinda thing?

Ive been playing final fantasies and other JRPGS since I was but a wee lad so I got the basics and strategies down pretty good
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By beforet

There is a super-spear later in the game which is more powerful than any other weapon. It is found in a chest that will always contain it. However, if you open one of five random boxes in the world, that 100% chance drop becomes a 1/1000 chance drop. Find the list of boxes, and memorize it!

Other than that, be aware that the game is an open-world JRPG (think WoW, not GTA), so you can run into very powerful shit very early. This can be good (fast leveling!) and dangerous (one hit kills!). So be careful when travelling.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By feargalr
    @Beforet: Cool thanks I already got that list.... Playing it now I really can't figure out why I didn't like it first time around, I bought it when it came out so I would have been 17, so its not like I wouldn't have been able to appreciate it... and I was raised on the likes of Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 and Breath Of Fire 3, and Suikoden, and grandia, so it would seem like a perfect fit for me..I hope it doesn't happen again

I finished replaying FF10 yesterday and I wanted to replay 10-2 after but my room mate was really really against it, I dunno why.... I actually enjoyed it..
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By neoepoch
    @Beforet said: 

However, if you open one of five random boxes in the world, that 100% chance drop becomes a 1/1000 chance drop.

What. The. Fuck? Really? I've never played FFXII, and haven't played many Squeenix games, but Really? How is that okay? To anyone...for anything...ever?

@feargalr said:
    I finished replaying FF10 yesterday and I wanted to replay 10-2 after but my room mate was really really against it, I dunno why.... I actually enjoyed it..
    Bah, don't let your roommate bully you into not playing what you want.
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By beforet
    @neoepoch said:
    @Beforet said: 

However, if you open one of five random boxes in the world, that 100% chance drop becomes a 1/1000 chance drop.

What. The. Fuck? Really? I've never played FFXII, and haven't played many Squeenix games, but Really? How is that okay? To anyone...for anything...ever?

Yeah, it's kinda fucked up. I don't know why they did it either. It's the only game that I know of where Square has pulled this kind of shit, so I guess it was an experiment on their part.
    Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jiggah
    @neoepoch
    All the chests are pretty early in the game and contain nothing.  Yea, it sucks that they don't spell it out for you, but a little research on it will allow you to avoid it easily.  Plus, there are other ways to obtain the weapon.

@Beforet
    FFIX with the stupid beat the game in under an impossible time to get the strongest weapon in the game.  They made so ridiculously hard that you had to use a physical cheat to skip FMVs so you could beat the game in time.
    FFV with opening a wolf in jail will end up with missing chests.
    FFVI with Shadow dying on the floating continent.

It's a staple of Final Fantasy games.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Why would you need hints for playing this game? It plays itself.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By beforet

@Jiggah: I forgot about that! Thanks, man I should know that, I'm replaying FFIX! I guess I just didn't think of them being the same kind of nonsense. Excalibur II's requirement is so insane that it's unreal, while actually lending itself to an interesting challenge. Whereas with the Zodiac spear it's just knowing to avoid a few otherwise unnoteworthy chests.

Wasn't it impossible to get the Excalibur II in the PAL version, what with the different FPS standard?

@Video_Game_King: Yes, but it's all about knowing how to make it play itself well.
    feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By feargalr
    @Jiggah: Ive never even heard of that thing from FF9, and I thought I had heard it all...

@Video_Game_King: I just meant for extra secret stuff... I miss the good old days of RPGs having extra characters and stuff..... like suikoden.. or FF7/9

@neoepoch: haha he wasn't bulling me, and tbh he was probably right, Im pretty sure my memory of FFX-2 is heavily influence by nostalgia, and plus Im bullying him into playing FF7 at the moment :D, of my memory is not influence by nostalgia one bit.. its just an awesome game
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Beforet

But you don't need to make the game play itself; turn off the gambits, and the game turns on secret gambits that you can never turn off.
    feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By feargalr
    @Video_Game_King: Theres secret gambits?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @feargalr

Pretty much. When I played the game, I decided to turn off gambits because of how much they removed from the game. I walked up to some dragon statue enemy things, and the game said, "Hey, I noticed that you turned off your gambits. Don't worry, I'll just have everybody automatically attack. There we are. No more pesky gameplay getting in the way of this awesomely impenetrable story, now, is there?"
    feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By feargalr
    @Video_Game_King: haha.. I gotta try that..
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM

I grinded for a good five or so hours before I even went into the story, and that's really all you have to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.