Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XII

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 16, 2006

The last Final Fantasy game released on the PS2, Final Fantasy XII is distinguished by its condition-driven "gambit" battle system, its Monster Hunter-like open environments and side quests, and its setting in the existing fictional universe of Ivalice.

I just can't decide...

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Final Fantasy XII is the last main series FF game I've never played, a fact I really would like to remedy. I have the game sitting in my PS2 right now, ready to begin as soon. I...just don't know if I should start playing it now.

I'm really afraid of starting this game up, getting decently far in it, and then having an HD-version be announced that makes me want to wait. I was going to start playing around E3-time, bu those rumors of a potential remake sunk those plans pretty quickly. Now that the idea of this is in my head, I'm having a very hard time convincing myself to play it.

What does everyone else think? Is this game worth playing enough to start now, as it is in the PS2 version? Or should I wait? What are the chances of SE announcing a remake in the near future? I'm a bit paralyzed with indecision here and would appreciate some feedback.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Final Fantasy XII is the last main series FF game I've never played, a fact I really would like to remedy. I have the game sitting in my PS2 right now, ready to begin as soon. I...just don't know if I should start playing it now.

I'm really afraid of starting this game up, getting decently far in it, and then having an HD-version be announced that makes me want to wait. I was going to start playing around E3-time, bu those rumors of a potential remake sunk those plans pretty quickly. Now that the idea of this is in my head, I'm having a very hard time convincing myself to play it.

What does everyone else think? Is this game worth playing enough to start now, as it is in the PS2 version? Or should I wait? What are the chances of SE announcing a remake in the near future? I'm a bit paralyzed with indecision here and would appreciate some feedback.

I'd say go ahead and start playing it. Rumors are just rumors, and while an HD version might come, that could still be years down the line.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Lets be honest ... how many years did it take to have remakes of FFX? A lot so expect the same for XII (will only happen when SQE is in need of cash) Can you wait? Can you ? EH? EHHHHH?' >:3

championfetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Play it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Brendan

PLAY IT YOU MAGGOT SON OF A TOOTHLESS BEAVER

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

If you have a decent PC there are ways to use your current FFXII disc and play in HD...

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

If you have a decent PC there are ways to use your current FFXII disc and play in HD...

Yeah, I'm aware. I don't really care about the HD part, just the other bonus content from other versions of the game.

I think I'll go ahead and play it. Even if they do remake it relatively soon, there will probably be enough new content to warrant playing it again--if I like it, that is. Thanks all!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By liquiddragon

FF12 is hella fun, story goes no where but it's addictive ass hell. I'd say play it. Even if they announce a HD remake, it would take forever to come out. Just look at FFX/FFX-2, that was a long wait. Plus, FF12 looks unbelievably great for a ps2 game

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Even if you had to buy I'd say it's still a good time. Since you have it lying around I don't see any reason NOT to play it. Even if a HD version comes along the game is still the same and it won't be coming soon, if ever, anyway.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheBlue

FF12 is a phenomenal game. Do yourself a favor and play it. The FFX Remasters took FOREVER to come out after they announced it, so I wouldn't worry about it coming soon. If they do announce a remake tomorrow and it comes out in like a year or something, I'll be more than happy to sink another 100 hours into it. In fact if I didn't have an enormous backlog I'd go play it again right now. I say go for it.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
    A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is my third favorite FF game after 3/6 and 10. It'd be a bit of alright to play it how it was. You can always play it again later if you like.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

There are *ahem* ways of playing the International Zodiac Job System version in English, if you want a superior version of the game in a higher resolution.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

There are *ahem* ways of playing the International Zodiac Job System version in English, if you want a superior version of the game in a higher resolution.

Isn't that already in English? Or at least parts of it (I honestly can't remember which parts)?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By crithon

considering how LONG the announcement of FF10 HD before it was release, I'd feel safe you could put in over 120 hours into this before that would happen.

Although, if HD is such a concern you might want to run it through an Emulator. The texture work in FF12 is better then the pre rendered cinematics.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: There's an amazing fan translation of it.

No, I know that; I'm just not sure what was originally in English. Text or voice? My money's on voice.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@video_game_king: Oh yeah Zodiac had english voice included, but all the menus are in japanese so you can't actually play it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@corruptedevil: The voice is the big part, not particularly hard to figure out menus.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Just play it now. It's one of the best of the series.

samninsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't play it. They have remade all the others, they will remake this one. As it is the best one, sense the old games, of FF9 and earlier. I think you have the right idea, to wait for HD. I think it will be the same game, maybe a few additions, but the same game, with better graphics! wait for the HD, and you will be happy. Or you can play it now, then replay it in HD. I will replay it in HD.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@corruptedevil said:

@video_game_king: There's an amazing fan translation of it.

No, I know that; I'm just not sure what was originally in English. Text or voice? My money's on voice.

FFXII International? The voices of that are in English. The menus and stuff are in Japanese but, yes, there is a fan translation of that stuff that mostly just replaces the menu text from the stuff in the regular NA version of FFXII. It's totally and completely playable in English if you happen to have a PC capable of emulating it or a PS2 capable of playing games from other regions.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258:

I think it also translates the captions, if memory serves. In either case, I'd have another game for screenshot thread material if not for other things. (Like my current one.)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Justin258

@believer258:

I think it also translates the captions, if memory serves. In either case, I'd have another game for screenshot thread material if not for other things. (Like my current one.)

I thought you really disliked FFXII?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By ch3burashka

...whether you should live or die.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game felt way to much like an mmo.. Not for me

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played REALLY deep into FF12, then died after not saving for like 5 hours, then threw down the controller and never played it again, after telling a friend where i died it was apparent i was near the end of the game. I barely remember the story at all. I'm not even exaggerating, all i remember was it was a vaguely political story, the "main" character was utterly irrelevant to the plot and there was a weird "sexy" dominatrix bunny-people race. A very forgettable game. I'd skip it.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You should play it. It might be a while before Square-Enix gets desperate enough to make an HD version.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: Already finished it! You're absolutely correct that the story is terribly forgettable. The rest of the game is pretty good though.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like many other people here, I loved the game, but forgot the story. I do remember this being one of the more exploratory Final Fantasies. Which turns my crank. Gimme large open worlds!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: I made it about 20-30 hours into the game, thought I was possibly coming near the end and realized I didn't know what was really going on and didn't care about the characters. There didn't seem to be much interaction between the main characters and whatever else was going on in the world. The combat and everything was fun but I just wasn't pushed to see it through to the end.

GideonAmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The MMO-like structure is actually one of the main thing that made me like 12. It gave enough sense of exploration and achivement without having to spend days to get somewhere and dealing with raid groups and whatnot. That being said, I never got around to beating Yiazmat because I just didn't feel like spending hours on one boss. I heard it takes less time in IZJS because of the break damage limit. I kinda hope they'll bring that version to the west because it sounds fun.

pg77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

How long does it take to complete this game? I started this game years ago but never finished.

I'm contemplating playing it again from scratch.

Dhutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: Welllll huh. Did you end up starting it back then?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.