Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

Square... please don't develop for PC any more, you can't do it.

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dedodido

So I thought I'd give the beta application another bash since I have some time to kill, and actually got through the many hoops they throw in your way.
    I then, after much searching, actually managed to find the client (you'd think they'd have a link for that once you're signed up, huh?). So far so good right? Wrong. I double clicked the installer and was greeted with this:

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8624/wtfsquare.jpg

I didn't realise any developer, whether PC is their main platform or not, could be this incompetent. It's a well known tactic for tech savy PC users to intentionally have their system partition very small, generally just enough for the OS and a few programs, in order to keep file defragmentation down. It also keeps all system files on the inside edge of the disk, keeping loading times down. So Square-Enix, in their infinite wisdom, make it so that you have to install the game to the system partition?

I've said in a previous post that I'm actually not too bothered about the game, I was just interested to see where they've taken the franchise. However, this complete lack of any sort of thought, and complete abundance of stupidity really gets on my nerves.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By 71Ranchero

They also cant handle the concept of optimization. The first FF mmo had the same issue's with never quite run as it should. Its almost like they say PC spec's be damned, we will just make it random.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By tmthomsen

Wow, that's just awful.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

I'm not super tech savvy. What would this mean if you're on a mac and your windows itself is on a partition?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Binman88
    @ryanwho said:
    " I'm not super tech savvy. What would this mean if you're on a mac and your windows itself is on a partition? "
    As long as there was at least 12GB of space free on that Windows partition, then it would be fine.  

This is especially dumb considering how many people (myself included) have recently adopted an SSD for their Windows install, and install their games and programs to a second, larger HDD.
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By vager

I remember Supreme Commander having this exact issue at one point.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Vager said:
    " I remember Supreme Commander having this exact issue at one point. "
    yeah but supcom with all the patches and such could be over 20 gigs. god i loved that game.
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Lunar_Aura
    @Dedodido said:

"in order to keep file defragmentation down. It also keeps all system files on the inside edge of the disk, keeping loading times down. "

Don't you mean "keep file fragmentation down"? And isn't having system files on the outside edge of the disk better because of something in basic geometry from which I forgot the proper terminology (I think it's Constant Angular Velocity) where the outside part of a disk spins "faster" than the inside part?
    Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dedodido
    @LunarAura said:
    " @Dedodido said:

"in order to keep file defragmentation down. It also keeps all system files on the inside edge of the disk, keeping loading times down. "

Don't you mean "keep file fragmentation down"? And isn't having system files on the outside edge of the disk better because of something in basic geometry from which I forgot the proper terminology (I think it's Constant Angular Velocity) where the outside part of a disk spins "faster" than the inside part? "
    Haha, yeah I do mean file fragmentation and not defragmentation, silly me. You're correct that any point on the outside of the disc is indeed moving faster, but the data is also further spread out, meaning the read head has to move further to get to where it's going. On the inside the disc is moving with the same angular velocity, but the data is closer together, and therefore easier for the head to access. I think the rest position for the read/write head is also towards the centre of the disc, but don't quote me on that.
    qlum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By qlum

this is really bad for people like me that have an average of 2GB or available on there windows participation

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CaptainCody
    @Dedodido:
    How many people use that EXACT avatar holy fuck, are you the same person just making multiple accounts this can't be a coincidence.
    Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dedodido
    @CaptainCody said:
    " @Dedodido: How many people use that EXACT avatar holy fuck, are you the same person just making multiple accounts this can't be a coincidence. "
    It's the standard avatar that you get when you make an account, you would have had it too at one point.

Wait... did I just get trolled?
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ZeroCast
    @Dedodido: I won't call myself a super tech guy but I have always set my windows partition between 100-150GB from a 1 TB HDD. Is it really that much of a difference loading wise?
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TotalEklypse

i am really kind of not amused with ff14.. how can it run so shitty on a quad core with specs that dwarfs the system specs. why does it constantly have direct x problems (i reinstalled direct x so maybe that will fix it. will update on that later today maybe. crashes are still common from what i have seen with my playtime last night before server downtime).

battle system seems ok but so far class structure seems odd.  
    movement of everything seems really clunky, more so than 11 did.  
    anyone else notice missing or lots of bugged animation? 
    quest system seems out of place or not fully fleshed out. 
    partyin so far seems pointless since the guildleves all allow for solo play.  
    mobs have terrible range between total stupidity and genius reactions. 
    difference in exp/skill point progression per mob seems wildly varied. 
    map is terrible and really clunky. not to mention hard to read.
    classes dont seem to have the purpose they had in 11. hard to really see how a class is meant to be played (other than previous knowledge of mmo game structure). 
    audio is very hit or miss.. at first it all seems to be well voiced, then all the sudden you are reading everything.  
    menu system is not well structured or explained.  
    crashes crashes crashes...

jeez by all that it sounds like i hate it.. i really don't. i guess it amounts to this game being in dev for 5 years and just doesn't feel done enough to think of releasing now. just feels like it is missing the heart of 11 or something. i know this is a beta, but i can't see most of this being much different in the 20 or so days before release. i played 11 for years and i have some really high hopes for this one, but like i said.. it feels hollow right now. after 5 yars though at least it looks pretty. =/

mason_pat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By mason_pat

This game has one of the clunkiest, most horribly poorly thought out and backwards user interface I have seen in a long time. I recall reading somewhere that they didn't pay attention to other MMO's like WoW, but God damn they should have. Also, you can't jump.

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dedodido
    @ZeroCast said:
    " @Dedodido: I won't call myself a super tech guy but I have always set my windows partition between 100-150GB from a 1 TB HDD. Is it really that much of a difference loading wise? "
    In terms of system performance, any more than 30GB or so won't really improve over a larger partition size, but having it somewhere between 10 and 15GB can shave a few seconds off boot time. It also helps keep the performance close to optimal later on, instead of degrading and eventually becoming unuseable as most windows installations seem to after a while.
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaptainCody
    @Dedodido:

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By CL60
    @CaptainCody said:
    " @Dedodido: How many people use that EXACT avatar holy fuck, are you the same person just making multiple accounts this can't be a coincidence. "
    That's the avatar you automatically get if you choose PC as your alignment when you register.
    SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19  Edited By SunKing

Ever since the old Final Fantasy games, S-E have never really got PC porting down. My advice: show your discontent; don't buy the PC version of the game.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cataphract1014

@Dedodido:  Save yourself the trouble and avoid this terrible game.  I downloaded it and installed it, it was uninstalled in less than 15 minutes.

Everything about it is bad.  OK, the graphics can be pretty, but the game runs like shit.

PixieNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By PixieNinja
    @Dedodido said:

I didn't realise any developer, whether PC is their main platform or not, could be this incompetent. It's a well known tactic for tech savy PC users to intentionally have their system partition very small, generally just enough for the OS and a few programs, in order to keep file defragmentation down. It also keeps all system files on the inside edge of the disk, keeping loading times down. So Square-Enix, in their infinite wisdom, make it so that you have to install the game to the system partition?

Not sure what your image shows, as it doesn't seem to want to load here, but I didn't face any problem installing the game elsewhere. 

I can only assume it's the patch files that it uses, as these go into your My Documents folder, and are then deleted once the game has been patched to the latest version. As a result of this, the initial patch download is around 4.7GB, which is a little unyieldy for those who have a system partition with less space than this. 

Best way to get around this is to relocate your My Documents folder to another partition/drive.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FirePrince

MMO+Final Fantasy+Square Enix+PC=Obvious Disaster. 
    And lucky you,I can't even log in to get the fucking client itself,and said screw this,I have better things to do than play a Final Fantasy MMO.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Addfwyn

I'm absolutely loving it, but I was also a longterm FFXI player.   It's an absolutely gorgeous game with an amazing soundtrack, I enjoy just walking around enjoying both of those a great deal.  Even if you hate the game, I'd recommend picking up the soundtrack when it is available.  I find the gameplay pretty fun, with a more streamlined version of job-changing that made FFXI so much fun.   

The UI issues are easily worked around by using a gamepad to play it.  Yeah okay, you may not prefer playing an MMO that way, but that's just the ideal way to play it, generally was the case for FFXI as well.  You can wait to play it on PS3 if it bothers you that much, but it's really quite trivial to set it up on the computer.   

My one big complaint was the horrible downloader/patcher client, but hopefully they fix that by launch.  I ended up just downloading it from another source and manually patching, cause it was MUCH faster than SE's shitty patching software.  Hopefully that'll be fixed by launch.   

Otherwise, really no complaints at all, except that I have to reboot to my windows partition to play it.  Sad the PS3 one is so far down the line.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Geno

It was said by the developers that the game still had "critical bugs" a month before its launch. The beta registration process was a nightmare. Most people couldn't get into the "open" beta until a week after its launch. Many of those that did suffered from severe performance issues, either through the download client or the game itself. And now this. 

I'd have to agree with the OP. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.