Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

What is the best numbered final fantasy game?

• 89 results
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Poll What is the best numbered final fantasy game? (218 votes)

Final Fantasy I (or any of it's remakes) 0%
    Final Fantasy II (or any of it's remakes) 0%
    Final Fantasy III (or any of it's remakes) 1%
    Final Fantasy IV (or any of it's remakes) 3%
    Final Fantasy V (or any of it's remakes) 3%
    Final Fantasy VI (or any of it's remakes) 24%
    Final Fantasy VII 12%
    Final Fantasy VIII 6%
    Final Fantasy VIIII 14%
    Final Fantasy X (or X-2) 14%
    Final Fantasy XI 2%
    Final Fantasy XII 5%
    Final Fantasy XIII (or XIII-2) 1%
    Final Fantasy XIV (or it's newest expansion) 0%
    "I would like to see the results without casting a vote on any game" (*note that you only get one vote) 7%
    *this space was intentionally left blank 2%
    *this space was intentionally left blank 4%

So first of I would like to say I don't want to start a flame war, so please keep it civil.

I wanted to know what the GB community thought the bestfinal fantasy game is. Now I did purposefully choose the word best over favorite, because I want to know what the consensus is on the best ff game.

So when I say best I do mean the one that currently holds up the best. not the most impactful when it released; not necessarily your favorite; but the one that best blends game mechanics, story, and to some extent graphics into a complete package that still holds up.So if you wanted a more firm criteria for "best" I guess that is one that I would give.

Like I said I would like it if this didn't degenerate into a flame war so please remember that we're all real cool cats here of GB.

• 
    nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nightriff

None of the 2 or 3 I've played really grabbed me for more than a few hours. Really wish a remake of 7 was around to make it playable because that is what has held me back from playing that one. Maybe I should start at the beginning and go down the FF hole?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Based on your criteria I would probably say Final Fantasy 6, but I might think pixels hold up better than some younger gamers.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Can not decide between 10 and 8 but I guess 10 wins because of the lake scene^^

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'll be the weirdo here and say V. Because intricate job systems overrule the part where the story is sort of dumb even when it isn't taking itself seriously.

(Alternate answer: VI)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

I'll be the weirdo here and say V. Because intricate job systems overrule the part where the story is sort of dumb even when it isn't taking itself seriously.

If by "sort of dumb" you mean "a plot so bad I'd rather play I through III for their stories," then sure.

I answered VI, because that is easily my favorite.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I went with 10. I just remember really enjoying the combat system.

Also, its*

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By monetarydread

Awwww.... Boo for all the FFX votes. At least they were not FFVIII votes though.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I like VII and I know I'm not cool anymore.

But your criteria is kind of all over the place when you say "hold up".... that means a lot to different people. And for me, I loved the FF games I played when they came out but I don't think I'd play them now. When I rank any media I just try to go by impact at the time and how I look back on it.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By TechHits

@csl316 said:

Also, its*

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

welp can't fix it now

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

If by "sort of dumb" you mean "a plot so bad I'd rather play I through III for their stories," then sure.

It's not like the story of V is especially different from the rest of the series in structure. There are crystals, villains that were sealed away in the past, naive heroes, and hella chocobos. It just reaches a level of dumbness and "not giving a shit" in its storytelling that IV and VI don't ever reach. Though maybe not as much as X-2, which is clearly my alternate, alternate answer. I still maintain that game reaches unintentional self-parody status with how much it doesn't care.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By afabs515

@monetarydread said:

Awwww.... Boo for all the FFX votes. At least they were not FFVIII votes though.

Haha sorry to let you down :P

I can understand why people don't like FFVIII, but I think they took the mechanics in a really interesting direction. So long as you don't draw spam, the game remains a challenge thanks to the level scaling of the enemies. I also like how the story was more focused on the characters (though there were some out-of-nowhere twists in it). It's also really interesting to look at it side-by-side with VII, if only to see the huge graphical leap that was made within a console generation. My only real complaint with the game is that getting around the world takes FUCKING FOREVER! Overall though, it's the one that grabbed me the most and I really enjoy it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I never played VI, which I hear is pretty damn good.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@techhits: You just want us Final Fantasy fans to all fight in a bloody arena until we're all dead, don't you?

I ain't playing into your sick little game!

... FFIV and maybe IX.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

It's not like the story of V is especially different from the rest of the series in structure. There are crystals, villains that were sealed away in the past, naive heroes, and hella chocobos. It just reaches a level of dumbness and "not giving a shit" in its storytelling that IV and VI don't ever reach. Though maybe not as much as X-2, which is clearly my alternate, alternate answer. I still maintain that game reaches unintentional self-parody status with how much it doesn't care.

The villain is an evil tree named Exdeath whose sole character trait/motivation is an obsession with the void. That evil ginger in the second Care Bears movie had better characterization than him.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

VI, hands down. It was a masterpiece of a game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: I feel like you're fighting a losing battle if you criticize the plot of a Final Fantasy game on the strength of its main villain. At least it doesn't throw a bait and switch to reveal that the guy you thought was the bad guy for 90% of the game was being controlled by the real bad guy the whole time. Criticize something easier, like how the main 5 characters have the personalities of styrofoam.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

XII of course.

DON'T LISTEN TO ONDORE'S LIES

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By davidwitten22

It's a weird super suggestive question.

But probably X. And the FFV hate in this thread is ludicrous. It was a much better game than IV overall.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@techhits said:

@csl316 said:

Also, its*

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

welp can't fix it now

It's.... ok.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

The villain is an evil tree named Exdeath whose sole character trait/motivation is an obsession with the void. That evil ginger in the second Care Bears movie had better characterization than him.

Dark heart was an awesome villain...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: I feel like you're fighting a losing battle if you criticize the plot of a Final Fantasy game on the strength of its main villain. At least it doesn't throw a bait and switch to reveal that the guy you thought was the bad guy for 90% of the game was being controlled by the real bad guy the whole time. Criticize something easier, like how the main 5 characters have the personalities of styrofoam.

I'm really just criticizing the tip of a very thin iceberg. The only thing I can really give the game credit for as a positive is Faris the cross-dressing pirate; easily the most creative of any of FFV's characters.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By monetarydread

@afabs515: I can understand that. The game tried its best to evolve the genre, but I felt that it was the most broken in the series (aside from the launch of FF XIV). The story was too sappy and nonsensical. The plot twist at the end is one of the most cliched twists in the history of storytelling. Plus, the orphanage scene is the worst. The draw system was boring, and the fact that magic was tied to my stats meant that I couldn't use spells like Ultima.

My biggest beef with the game though has to do with auto-levelling of enemies. I stand by the fact that FFVIII is a perfect example of why enemies auto-levelling is a bad design choice. Whats the point of having a levelling system in the first place if every time your strength goes up, your enemies def/HP goes up with you? Oh wait, they actually gain more STR / DEF / HP than you do, so you are actually at a disadvantage if you get into battles.

Edit: Oh, and the whole attacking your own teammates being a valid strategy in a game is kind of bonkers.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on your criteria I would probably say Final Fantasy 6, but I might think pixels hold up better than some younger gamers.

I think most people would agree that 16 bit 2D holds up a lot better than first gen polygonal games, especially the PS1 with the unpleasant look of the image (something to do with z-buffering or vertices).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@afabs515: I can understand that. The game tried its best to evolve the genre, but I felt that it was the most broken in the series (aside from the launch of FF XIV). The story was too sappy and nonsensical. The plot twist at the end is one of the most cliched twists in the history of storytelling. Plus, the orphanage scene is the worst. The draw system was boring, and the fact that magic was tied to my stats meant that I couldn't use spells like Ultima.

My biggest beef with the game though has to do with auto-levelling of enemies. I stand by the fact that FFVIII is a perfect example of why enemies auto-levelling is a bad design choice. Whats the point of having a levelling system in the first place if every time your strength goes up, your enemies def/HP goes up with you? Oh wait, they actually gain more STR / DEF / HP than you do, so you are actually at a disadvantage if you get into battles.

Edit: Oh, and the whole attacking your own teammates being a valid strategy in a game is kind of bonkers.

The whole point of the auto-leveling the enemies was to discourage power-leveling in favor of using junctions intelligently. Go traipsing into the final battle with Ultimecia with a max level Squall, and you're going to get your ass handed to you unless you have seriously been working on your junctions.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I'm really just criticizing the tip of a very thin iceberg. The only thing I can really give the game credit for as a positive is Faris the cross-dressing pirate; easily the most creative of any of FFV's characters.

And I'm really not going to defend it on that point. I pretty much love V for its gameplay, soundtrack and not much else. If we're talking about story, X-2 VI wins no contest. The way it handles its ensemble cast, the fact that Kefka succeeds at destroying the world, that part where you fight an octopus during an opera scene.... yep.

That reminds me, I should really get back to XII one of these days. I AM CAPTAIN BASCH VON ROSENBURG OF DALMASCA.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By afabs515

I can't disagree with you about the story twists. The first time I saw that orphanage scene (a few weeks ago), I was blown away by how out of nowhere that was. I can also see what you mean by the story being sappy, but sappy stories like that are one of my guilty pleasures TBH.

@hailinel said:

The whole point of the auto-leveling the enemies was to discourage power-leveling in favor of using junctions intelligently. Go traipsing into the final battle with Ultimecia with a max level Squall, and you're going to get your ass handed to you unless you have seriously been working on your junctions.

This is pretty much what I would have said, but probably better than I could say it.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By PandaBear

I'm surprised at the love for X ... I mean it's my favourite, but i was expecting it to go VI, VII, VIII, XI, X in that order. Maybe III above VIII.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

IX. Or VIIII. (the former is the correct uh, spelling)

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By GunstarRed

Why can't I vote for IX?

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vasta_narada

I mean, I'd love to vote FF9, but it's not there.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well mine is VIII , altho I have VI and XIII in the same regard (yes I said XIII , I really like it a lot)

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VI is the best

VIII is the worst

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By monetarydread

@hailinel said:

@monetarydread said:

Except that in order to use junctions properly you either had to spend your afternoon using the "draw," command, or play that awful Triple Triad card game. It removed one form of grinding for a version that was far, less interesting.

Also, your reason for why they nerfed power-levelling does not answer why they even had a levelling-up system in the first place. It's only function is to make the game more difficult and frustrating for people that had previous experience in RPG's. The intentions, of fixing the a perceived grinding problem, might have been pure, but the result was the game felt more limiting and directed than all the previous games.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024 said:

I think most people would agree that 16 bit 2D holds up a lot better than first gen polygonal games, especially the PS1 with the unpleasant look of the image (something to do with z-buffering or vertices).

There weren't enough decimal places in the coordinates of vertices, so they're constantly snapping to the nearest point and thus look like they're vibrating.

Came here to say VI, and wasn't disappointed that it's currently in the lead.

VI is objectively the best Final Fantasy game and will likely never be topped. This poll might be better off asking which is second best.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I'd say IV is the best; VI has the best first half of any JRPG ever and arguably any game, but the second half is not that great. IV opens strong and stays that way throughout and has the most challenging boss outside of XIII; XIII is the hardest by far and has the best combat. IX has the best battle music/best first disc out of the PS era, VIII has probably the most interesting leveling system, VII has nostalgia and Cid/Barrett, V has classes. XII has the best designed world and the most potential, doesn't quite pan out but still an excellent game. X has the best themes and the shittiest characters (apart from Hope). I has Warmech. II has a really stupid leveling system.

Tactics has a much better story than any out of the numbered series and there's a fairly decent argument to be made that Tactics is the best Final Fantasy.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I couldn't find nine but realised you used the wrong numeral. So that one :)

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By XenoNick

VI is the best but VII is my favorite.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*this space was intentionally left blank

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just reaches a level of dumbness and "not giving a shit" in its storytelling that IV and VI don't ever reach.

I think IV is the prime example of a story being dumb and not giving a shit. Mind control and "oh surprise we're not actually dead" are rampant in that game.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Tactics has a much better story than any out of the numbered series and there's a fairly decent argument to be made that Tactics is the best Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy T4ct1c5

Does that count as a numbered FF?

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By shinboy630

I am really happy that X (a good video game) currently has more votes than XII (a bad video game). That being said, I voted VI. That game is all around fantastic.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By johncallahan

I still believe that VI is the greatest JRPG ever made, with Chrono Trigger coming a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery close second.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VII SUCK A BUTT HATERS

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By veektarius

I voted "This space was intentionally left blank" because I remember having this argument on the internet 10 years ago and was left very embittered by the experience.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I am really happy that X (a good video game) currently has more votes than XII (a bad video game). That being said, I voted VI. That game is all around fantastic.

hahaha, you wanna go?

XII is a way better video game that's more open, more interesting, less dumb, and has upwards of 3 good main characters. The only character in X that's not terrible is Auron

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By vikingdeath1

FF8, no contest for me.

Love everything about it.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By shinjin977

Man Giantbomb is truly great! A topic about which FF is best and no mud-slinging at 44 post! Not to mention an actual honest to god discussion. This is a magical place.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RazielCuts

(This is like back at school on the playground again..)

Out of the PS1/PS2 era - FFVII, FFX, FFIX, FFVIII...................................FFXII, that game was just incomprehensible for me when it first came out, I think now that I'm older I'd like to go back and give it another shot but thats probably not going to happen unless they HDify it and even then it's going to be a stretch. And FFX-2 was way to girly, J-Pop for me at the time and I didn't like the mission structure of it at all, it felt so closed off.

I do hate how the internet has scared people into not like FFVII for fear it's not the 'cool' answer and 'thats when the series hit the fan' when in fact it was probably the first RPG many people played and what got them into the genre to begin with. It's so internet hipster, like what you like.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IX, though it's unfortunate how sluggish the combat feels now. Transitions into random battles take like 20 seconds and skill/spell/attack animations tend to linger, not even counting Ark.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.