Are you more excited for BB:CP, P4A2 or GG:Xrd?

• 53 results
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By FluxWaveZ

Poll Are you more excited for BB:CP, P4A2 or GG:Xrd? (119 votes)

BlazBlue: Chronophantasma 4%
Persona 4 Arena 2 52%
Guilty Gear Xrd 34%
See results 10%

Next year is looking like a pretty great one for high profile, air dash fighting games. BlazBlue: Chronophantasma, Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold and Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- are all slated for a 2014 console release (though only BB:CP has been dated inr North America for now). So, which of these are you more excited for?

BlazBlue: Chronophantasma – March 14, 2014
Persona 4 Arena 2 – Summer 2014
Guilty Gear Xrd – 2014

I have to go with P4A2 since P4A was the first fighting game I got serious with, because I love Persona itself and because I want to see the story. I'm also really excited for Xrd, though, since it's probably the most beautiful fighting game I've ever seen and because it's inherently attractive as a next generation fighting game.

I imported BB:CP, but I can't say I'm anywhere near as excited for it as I am the two other games. I don't care much about the story and there's nothing that really attracts me to the game itself. I kind of have a feeling that, out of the three, BB:CP will be the least popular game in North America, but that remains to be seen, obviously.

• 
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By StarvingGamer

From what I've managed to gleam from a few random sources, it seems like Xrd is taking some steps to lower the execution barrier. I've always loved GG but my execution is terrible so I've never been able to play it (or BB or P4A) successfully. Hopefully Xrd will change that for me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I'm looking forward to P4A2 the most out of all of them, but it's a close race.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well, I'm awful at BlazBlue for some reason, so that's third.

It's really neck and neck with the other too. I gotta give it to Persona though, it has story content backed by Atlus. It's hard to top that.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By irrelevantjohn

I love Persona 4 Arena a lot but my vote has to go to GG Xrd. There's just something about the GG series that is endearing to me. The games always had pretty cool looking art, the music is the best out of all the ArcSys fighters and I personally like most of the characters. Also, I dug myself a deep hole into the GG lore and I might as well continue to follow it.

I'm hoping Xrd will be as great as the previous GG games or even better! (Although some versions of GG were busted as hell.) Really looking forward to Ultimax and Xrd. As for Blazblue, I kind of treat it as a place holder.

P.S. Fuck Kokonoe.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Superkenon

Probably P4A2, then Xrd, then CP.

P4A2 is the only one of them I actively play with a friend these days, so that helps me be excited about all the balance changes, new moves, and what the new characters are going to do to the matchups. Besides that, I actually prefer P4A's mechanics to BB's and GG's (assuming they don't change drastically) anyway. And then there's the whole It's Goddamn Persona part.

Guilty Gear was the series that really turned me on to the fighting game scene, so I'm all sorts of excited to see it resurrect in a big and beautiful way. It's below P4A2 because I'll probably never get any of my friends to play it, haha. Regardless, I've got the hype for everything this game is offering. Guilty Gear brings a very unique brand of madness to the table and I want it all over me.

I'm still excited for Chrono Phantasma, even if not relatively. It's getting a pretty huge roster boost, so I'm eager to get in there and mess with all the new guys. Looking forward to the new stages and music too, as weird as that may sound. As effed up as the story is... I'm pretty curious to see what they do, now that they're actually entering a major new arc. It'll be a fun romp if nothing else.

So yeah. Itching to play all of these. Gonna be a good year for blowing money on fighters.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Zeik

I'm very excited to see what Xrd is going to end up being and boy does that game look pretty. I'm sure I will totally suck at that game though, so I'm not sure if I'll end up playing that game very seriously.

I got fairly deep into P4A though, so overall I'm probably more excited for what that game is going to offer, but at this point it depends on how well they've fixed the balance. I just want Kanji to be decent!

I've kind of lost interest in BB in recent years. I had fun with it when it was the new thing on the block, but P4A has easily trumped it as my ASW fighter of choice.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

GG Xrd looks very interesting.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Gimme dat sweet, sweet Guilty Gear.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xrd any other answer is wrong.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ultra Street Fighter IV....it's gonna have red focus...

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Guilty Gear by a mile. It's always been my second favorite fighting franchise and I'm so happy we're finally getting another complete with a dumb name and everything. I've never been huge on Blazblue mostly due to the cast. I just feel like Guilty Gear has a better cast both aesthetically and personality-wise. It's hard to explain how I feel exactly. I hesitate to use the word mature, but fuck it. I feel like GG is the most mature, less angsty sibling to BB.

I'm excited for Persona as well, but my love of that game comes entirely from my love of Persona 4. I recognize it's a legitimately good fighting game and all, but I don't give a shit. I just want to play as Persona characters and beat the shit out of other Persona characters.

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started playing P4A last week, so I'm most excited for the sequel I guess. Although Xrd does look fantastic, even though I have never played a GG game and will definitely suck at it. How big a studio is Arc System Works to be able to release 3 big games in one year?

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xrd, I never got serious about Guilty Gear but started playing it on PS1 and never stopped.

Definitely not a high profile game, but I'm still waiting for an Under Night In-Birth console announcement or arcade-to-PC dump. Melty Blood has my favorite fighting game "physics", every air dash and connected hit feels great, so I just assume the devs did right by UNIB.

And then there's the AH3: LOVE MAX!!!!! update.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm not too excited about any of them since I'm fighting game handicapped. But the new Guilty Gear looks fucking crazy in ways I can really get behind.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gaff

P4A2. I was curious about Xrd, but no Jam, no sale.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Hunter5024

@gaff said:

P4A2. I was curious about Xrd, but no Jam, no sale.

Damn straight.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most excited for Xrd.I've never played a GG before so I'm looking forward to getting into this. Already own Chrono Phantasma so I'll probably just watch the story stuff on Youtube instead of buying it again. Least excited about P4, the first didn't hold my attention for very long for some reason.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goddamnit this is hard. I love the fact that P4A exists, and while I'm really looking forward to trying to pick up May again. I've just not found anyone as fun to play as Tao.

So BlazBlue: Chronophantasma gets my vote.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guilty Gear 'cause there hasn't been a proper new one of those for a while.

InfiniteSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 33

I'm definitely going to get all three ASW games whenever they get here. As for which one I'm most excited for? Very tough to choose, but I'll give the slight edge to Guilty Gear Xrd. Even though it's the game I'm the worst in, I love the eccentric cast of characters (BEDMAN!) and that almost everything in the GG universe involves music.

I give P4A a ton of credit in getting me interested in fighting games and appreciating the genre overall. I also love that it's fighting mechanics are much easier to pick up and execute and that I was able to slowly build upon what I've learned. I'm very excited for P4A2 with the numerous changes to the current P4A cast, shadow mode, and more characters (Yukari, Junpei, Sho).

BB:CP was fun when one of my brother's friends was over my house one weekend with an imported copy. I love that the pace in CP has increased tremendously, which helps it become a bit more fun game to not only play, but to watch as well. BB's also the game out of the ASW FGs I play best with the fight stick at the moment, for some strange reason. But it's still the least exciting out of ASW's group to me.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

P4A2. Can't beat that Young Detective.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

P4A2. First time in ages I plan on buying a fighting game.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guilty Gear ... my love for Millia rage is bigger than Mitsuru or V-13

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played blazblu or guilty gear. Do any of them have worthwhile stories?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Example1013

Wonder if BB going to release with Kokonoe patched...

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

As someone that doesn't care for fighting games, only one of those has anything in it that interests me. Hint: it's the one that has characters from a JRPG in it.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played blazblu or guilty gear. Do any of them have worthwhile stories?

No.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus said:

No.

Yes. Are they the best stories ever? No, but they are entertaining, and they help make the characters more endearing. Arc System Works did far more to elevate storytelling in fighting games than Mortal Kombat ever did and don't get enough credit for the work they've done in that regard.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SMTDante89

Persona 4 Arena 2 by a long shot, followed by Xrd. Though I loved Guilty Gear, I never got on board with BlazBlue for some reason (spent a few minutes with the Vita game that was free with PS+ but that's basically it). I guess it could be where the series came out at a time where I had absolutely no interest in fighting games, and I think they started coming out right as I started college, so time and money were not something I had a lot of.

Edit: The first game came out about a month after the end of my first year of college, and it was a rough year so I probably just didn't care about many new games in general.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GnaTSoL

its pretty split between Xrd and the new blazblue but Arc always burns me out with all those minimal update, brand new disc bs they do and all the close proximity title update release dates.

Xrd looks fuckin nice and I totally know I'll cave in but I'm gonna wait a few months after release to see if Arc is planning anything...

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

More people excited for Persona than Guilty Gear? That shit is craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@hailinel said:

@irrelevantjohn said:

No.

Yes. Are they the best stories ever? No, but they are entertaining, and they help make the characters more endearing. Arc System Works did far more to elevate storytelling in fighting games than Mortal Kombat ever did and don't get enough credit for the work they've done in that regard.

BlazBlue's story is convoluted and filled with characters I couldn't give less of a shit about as well as the most anime of tropes. I don't see how its visual novel presentation elevates fighting game storytelling, but at least they put a lot of effort into BB's story modes.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel said:

@irrelevantjohn said:

No.

BlazBlue's story is convoluted and filled with characters I couldn't give less of a shit about as well as the most anime of tropes. I don't see how its visual novel presentation elevates fighting game storytelling, but at least they put a lot of effort into BB's story modes.

You not giving a shit about them doesn't affect the opinions of others. The visual novel presentation and branching pathways do a lot to give the characters their character, both in ridiculous and sublime terms.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

You not giving a shit about them doesn't affect the opinions of others. The visual novel presentation and branching pathways do a lot to give the characters their character, both in ridiculous and sublime terms.

But it's all still conveyed through presentation like a visual novel. That can work for certain games like the ASW ones, but I disagree that it elevates the genre's storytelling as a whole as it's certainly not something I'd want to see all fighting games adopt if they were to take their stories seriously.

And I'm not trying to affect the opinions of others, I'm giving my own. Since, you know, that's what @toowalrus asked for: our own opinions.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

But it's all still conveyed through presentation like a visual novel. That can work for certain games like the ASW ones, but I disagree that it elevates the genre's storytelling as a whole as it's certainly not something I'd want to see all fighting games adopt if they were to take their stories seriously.

And I'm not trying to affect the opinions of others, I'm giving my own. Since, you know, that's what @toowalrus asked for: our own opinions.

I never said that the visual novel approach is an approach that would work for all games. Mortal Kombat and Injustice both feature cinematic storylines that are presented quite well.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By irrelevantjohn

@hailinel said:

@fluxwavez said:

I was answering @toowalrus 's question and I think the story is not worth it at this point since BB and GG's story is in way too deep to understand anything since he has never played any of them.

I personally like the story and characters in Guilty Gear because I played most of the games. I do realize that it is very dumb but in a fun way. As for blazblue, I can't say the same since most of the characters are unbearable and the story is just straight up stupid. I main Jin in BBCP and every time I fight a Ragna player, he just has to go all crazy and say all this dumb "Oniiiii-chaaan" shit. UGH...

As for story mode, the visual novel presentation does not elevate storytelling. ArcSys did a poor job of it in P4A and also in BB. At least in BBCP you can tell if it's the gag ending or the real one.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was answering @toowalrus 's question and I think the story is not worth it at this point since BB and GG's story is in way too deep to understand anything since he has never played any of them.

I personally like the story and characters in Guilty Gear because I played most of the games. I do realize that it is very dumb but in a fun way. As for blazblue, I can't say the same since most of the characters are unbearable and the story is just straight up stupid. I main Jin in BBCP and every time I fight a Ragna player, he just has to go all crazy and say all this dumb "Oniiiii-chaaan" shit. UGH...

As for story mode, the visual novel presentation does not elevate storytelling. ArcSys did a poor job of it in P4A and also in BB. At least in BBCP you can tell if it's the gag ending or the real one.

I realize you were. That being said, compared to where fighting game stories came from (fight seven or eight dudes, ending that may or may not be canon), the visual novel approach taken by ASW is a pretty major step in terms of story presentation in the genre.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I appreciate about ASW's stories is their attempts to add some non-linearity to fighting game stories, even if the end result could be better. I'm always baffled when people suggest MK is the pinnacle of fighting game story telling when it's the same type of linear story as any other fighting game, just with higher production values.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By casper_

xrd easy. guilty always been my favorite series. i feel like it gives the player more freedom and the neutral game is quite a bit more interesting than mori designed ASW games. GG has universal/character specific tools that give the player a ton of options without ever feeling gimmicky. don't get me wrong though i've been enjoying bbcp quite a bit and am looking forward to p4u2 as well.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#40  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I will play Persona 4 Arena 2 because I like Persona. Blazblue is also alright. Both are too crazy and execution heavy for me to be able to do much with them.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Alright, I guess I'll chime in since I'm probably the biggest BB fan here (kinda surprised by the amount of haters on here toward BB's story and characters)

First, the game I'm most looking forward to is XRD. I imported BBCP already and have been loving my time with it, so I have no need to be anticipating the NA release. Although I will mostly likely buy it in English when it comes out because I am apparently a crazy person who is invested in the BB story.

Persona 4 Arena is fun, but its not my favorite Arc fighting game. I only ever liked playing as Naoto, and I struggle pretty badly in that game. I'll be getting P4A2 day one and will probably continue my Naoto journey. Although, if Adachi is playable, I might be changing mains...

My time with the GG franchise has been short. I just started playing AC+ a few months ago in order to prep myself for XRD (something all you fake GG fans should take note of. PLAY THE DAMN GAME. GGAC+/+R IS STILL AWESOME. RIP @mikefightnight's WEEKLY GG TOURNY) and have absolutely fell in love with playing as I-no. In terms of mechanics, its gotta be the best fighting game out there. As for story and characters, I can't comment on that. I have no idea what is going on in that universe other than the few tidbits I'm fed every now and then. The music is pretty rad though.

Now, as for BB's story being worthwhile, I think it is. I really like the characters. There are some fucked up things happening in that universe and I find the relationships between a lot of the characters really interesting. I think Hazama/Terumi is a badass/asshole villain. Ragna and Jin, even though they're both pretty psycho, are still entertaining to watch. I find Jin's brother complex fairly entertaining. Can't say I care for them too much though, since they're both assholes to my Noel. I guess you could say I like BB's story stuff and characters for the same reason John likes GG's stuff. I've been with BB from the start and its what got me into fighting games.

I appreciate the innovation ArcSys has taken with Fighting Game stories, but I wish there was more fighting in them... I haven't gone through BBCP's story yet cause I'm waiting for NA release, but I think I only made it through Yu's campaign in P4A. Wayyyy tooo much reading going on, not enough punching things.

So I guess thats that... in short. I'm looking forward to XRD the most, though I'll be playing them all in the end cause ArcSys are the best at makin fightin games.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Not when compared to something like MK9 that had an actual story mode for its game or even Injustice.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bocam

@fluxwavez said:

@hailinel said:

@irrelevantjohn said:

No.

They seemed to put more effort into BB's story mode than they did with P4A.

That being said, BBCP's story won't make a lick of sense unless you've read the tie in novels. (which will never be translated)

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By coaxmetal

chie-chan

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

@hailinel: Not when compared to something like MK9 that had an actual story mode for its game or even Injustice.

The MK/Injustice method of cinematic storytelling isn't necessarily better or worse than wht ASW typically does. It's just different, and has its own pros and cons. But even when talking MK, DOA: Dimensions did the exact same thing that MK9 did; it retold the storyline of the series in a linear manner that had you switching between characters based on the point in the story. The only real difference being that the story in DOAD was told with more stills and diorama-style set-pieces that full cinematics.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: I think the fact that the game never really left the in game engine does it a lot of favors. I hate when games cut in and out of completely opposing art styles. Doesn't the Persona: Arena games cut between voice and text a lot for its in between stuff?

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By PandaBear

If GXR:GG:#2 comes out this year I'd be surprised. But I'm pretty sure Violent Valentine has been confirmed for GH:X ZeroAlpha.XX .... still I much prefer the OverDriveX system from HH:XT3.5+Ver2.

Did anyone see that new trailer for GGx:A5-DestinyDreamX_.2? Totally rad.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Petiew

Blazblue has a big story mode that spans over all 3 games released so far. I don't know if I'd call it worthwhile, but it can be a nice distraction from grinding out combos or getting destroyed online. They do enough with the characters to keep it somewhat interesting, if a little convoluted. It's visual novle style though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hailinel

@sammo21 said:

@hailinel: I think the fact that the game never really left the in game engine does it a lot of favors. I hate when games cut in and out of completely opposing art styles. Doesn't the Persona: Arena games cut between voice and text a lot for its in between stuff?

All of the dialogue is voice. Narrative text is just text. I'm not sure hat that has to do with art styles, though.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: That I think its lazy and would actually actively persuade me away from playing the mode. I expect and don't mind reading in RPGs but not in an arcade/story mode of a fighting game. I was mentioning that because its the game's approach to a story and its one I think detracts from the game.