Wow, I'm actually loving the Batmobile?

• 89 results
FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So first of all, here I am in the main story just for reference: Joker just started talking in my head and I learned about the 5 people with the disease. I think my next mission was to save Oracle from Scarecrow

So from what it feels like, I'm still pretty early in the main story and my feelings could change...but holy CRAP I do not fully get the hate the Batmobile is getting. Having the thing zip around the corner and arrive at my destination no matter my altitude above a road, and being able to launch out of it like a slingshot is as much of a fucking dream come true as it looked like in videos. Blows me away every time and that's an aspect I'd definitely call "next gen."

Actually driving the car: As for controlling the thing, it mostly handles like a dream as well. It's a bit slippery sure but the weight of it is right on point. It handles how this size of batmobile should handle. Drifting around corners, plowing down things in your way and even stuff you wouldn't even think would come down like concrete bases of signs and some buildings. Sometimes I go right through crap I don't expect to be destructible. That's actually another thing I'd call next gen quality. I freaking love it. Oh and the car chase sequences are AMAZING despite being kinda inaccurate, but I feel that adds to the charm of them feeling like real chases. They aren't pretty, they're an adrenaline rushed mess. When I chase down a car and fire my missile at it, the cars realistically tumble and wipe out. This is stuff I'd love seeing implemented in the upcoming Mad Max game. That same weight and craziness of cars wiping out.

Battle mode: This is the thing I understand when people complain but even so, I still enjoy it somewhat. Yeah it's just firing missiles and dodging but I don't see anything particularly rage inducing about it so far? Weakest aspect of the thing for me though.

Puzzle aspect: I KEEP seeing people saying it's overdone and there's too much of this. I won't argue there's a lot of it. But so far in my opinion, I'll definitely argue that it's a good thing about this game. I REALLY don't get why some people don't like this aspect of it. I had to attach my winch to the elevator and that's how I lowered myself into the next area. Blowing out an opening to create a "window" outside the batmobile can help out with is really clever in my opinion and I feel it adds a lot to this game that otherwise has a "samey" formula.

Wow I typed up so much more than I thought I'd have to say but there it is. Will I get tired of it more and more as the game goes on? Maybe/probably. but so far the batmobile really creates an identity for this Arkham game in particular for me and it's one of my favorite aspects of the game so far. I just really don't agree with the criticism and I'd like to see if someone else shares my thoughts about it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I think the complaints over the Batmobile stem mostly form the default control scheme. Having battle mode on L2 is unintuitive as fuck. Turning it to a toggle frees up L2 for reverse/brake which is where it should've been in the first place.

Aside from that, I usually choose to drive instead of glide because it's just cool. The only downside to the Batmobile I can think of is that you can't use detective vision in it, which means scanning for Riddler Informants is something I have to do to and from gliding destinations.

EDIT: Another reason people may not be enjoying it is because the Batmobile essentially replaced about half a dozen gadgets. When triple batclaw is so ingrained in you that you avoid brick walls hiding Riddler Trophies for several hours, only to discover that you can just use the cannon on the Batmobile to knock shit down, it's less an "a-ha" moment than a "why'd they change that?"

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I quite like it too! It's not blowing my mind or anything (and the way its used in the Riddler challenges is infuriating), but it's super fun to jump into and out of and tear around the city bashing into signs and cars and shit. Also, the few times where you're cornered and have to use it via remote control to get the drop on the people trapping you are really satisfying.

corporalgregg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I am loving the Batmobile and I was really worried about it from all the previews, but turns out it was exaggerated. It controls fine. Yeah it takes some getting used to (and in fact I might try the toggle, didn't know that was an option), but overall it's really fun transforming from a car to a tank and using both modes. I really like the puzzles involving the Batmobile as well. I think all the criticism has been overblown and there's a good chance this tops City as my favourite Arkham game. Goddamn do I love this series.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its growing on me. I'm really bad at it but it adds some variety

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

The Batmobile is real good, it works in a super intuitive way and combat in it is great, like the way it calculates enemy projectile trajectory and stuff. It's exactly the kind of battlefield awareness you've come to expect from the World's Greatest Detective.

The racing stuff isn't super fun though and that final Riddler track (and a few other instances during the game) were pretty annoying. The thing is that it is in contrast to the rest of the game which is absolutely phenomenal, so I agree 100% with the outlets that give it 9/10.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea I have no idea why everyone has so much hate for it.
Spices up the series with something other than bat-gliding (which is great of course).
Smashin into things aint half bad either.
Only like 2 hours in but I did that Riddler challege and drove around a bit of course.
Didn't even look at the upgrades for it yet so hopefully it gets even better.
Time to go do that...

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's the coolest car in a game ever, and I don't mean looks, I mean how it interoperates with Batman. That shit is awesome. I've fully upgraded the launch from Batmobile skill and I fly like a bullet from it, which feels and looks great. I haven't had a single moment where the vehicle was a hindrance in any way, it's probably the easiest to control car in any game I've played.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm fine with it I don't really love it or hate it. I think some of the stuff they do with it is interesting although I really don't like doing Riddler puzzles with it.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By redyoshi

I'm finding the negativity to be a bit overblown as well. I'm not in love with it or anything but I really haven't minded its integration into different aspects of the game, like clearing obstacles to progress a mission. It's basically used just like any other of Batman's many gadgets. Now, if you were to tell me that the latter half of the game is dominated by remote Batarang puzzles, then I have a problem.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

I've literally just unlocked it for use and it's pretty fun. Hard to say whether it'll wear out its welcome with me or not, but so far I'm enjoying just bloody bulldozing through everything. It also makes the whole ''Batman doesn't kill'' all the more absurd. Yo, you blow up cars with people in them. And even though they always conveniently survive you can then simply follow it up by running them over.

Also, driving in first-person really helps accentuate how much of a damned monster that thing is. Like something out of Twisted Metal.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@frostyryan: Sometimes it controls a bit wonky especially in tight spaces, but other than that, its great.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

For me, it just felt really out of character for Batman. You blow up A LOT of shit over the course of the game, and while Batman does use non-lethal rounds on actual human combatants, it still doesn't feel like something that belongs in a (Rocksteady) Batman game. It's pretty much fine gameplay-wise (aside from the contrived Riddler races), but I wouldn't have minded if it wasn't there in the first place.

ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I am on the same boat. I am having a blast in it and honestly don't understand why its getting so much hate.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You monster.

It's not that bad. Just takes some time getting used to it. You still feel like a badass from going from super tank car to just tank and blowing people up - and then you fly out and interrogate some punk about some riddles or something.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

From what I've seen, I think it woulda been cooler if they just focused on crazy car chases rather than having the battle-mode and sequences centered around it.

The progession from "you're Batman," to "you're Batman gliding around an open world," to "you're Batman gliding around an open world and occasionally getting into crazy car chases with the Batmobile," should be cool as fuck. But the tank stuff just looks dull.

clutch414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm about 5 hours into it, and I am really enjoying the addition of the Batmobile.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah, I really don't understand why people don't like it. It controls well, managing to feel fast and nimble while still being weighty and powerful. The puzzle solving introduces a whole new set of tools to think about and being able to control the Batmobile remotely adds nuance to puzzles which would otherwise be a lot simpler. It also makes for some really awesome moments, the part where Batman is surrounded by guys is particularly cool. You switch to the Batmobile remotely, shoot everyone in the back, the glass smashes, Batman runs out and wrecks shit, throws people into the air and has the Batmobile blast them out of the sky. I even enjoy the tank combat, I think having two separate modes works well and doesn't make the controls feel too bloated, while being able to see where enemies are going to shoot makes vehicle combat feel tactical in a way that many car combat games don't. Also, it just fucking barrels through everything and feels almost indestructible which is awesome. People have been asking for the Batmobile since Arkham Asylum was released and if they didn't included it people would still be complaining. I'm glad they did and I think it makes for a way better experience both mechanically and narratively.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm also really enjoying it. Driving around is super fun, it controls well and I fucking love crashing through objects. Tank mode is aight, nothing special but there's enough there to be entertaining.
The puzzle aspect however is definitely cumbersome but I'm still enjoying it. I think the whole item interface itself is super fucking slow which is the main reason the Batmobile puzzles are cumbersome.

As a whole the game is definitely weaker then Arkham Asylum but pretty much on par with City at the moment. I like that the story goes pretty fucking dark in places, at least so far.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By csl316

I've been enjoying it quite a bit, maybe because my expectations were so low due to complainers.

It's like that Sega CD game but 2015!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't like how it controls, and I don't play batman games to drive cars that break all known laws of physics to dodge other tank (drone) shells. It's also really silly how it doesn't actually kill anyone and they make that super clear and obvious that running over people isn't killing them.

It's basically like playing Battlezone from the 2600 in the middle of playing Double Dragon. I liked that game, don't get me wrong, but it's not why I play a Batman Arkham game (or a Double Dragon game in 1987) and it breaks the flow of the game for me. I understand why some people would be fine with that, but I feel like it's just supplanting another type of game play thing into a game that is much different just for the sake of having something else in it.

My best example for why I don't like it (and I've said it before on another website) is: It's like F.E.A.R 2. They added a whole bunch of the mech stuff into F.E.A.R 2 when that's not why most people played or liked the F.E.A.R. games. It's just out of place, and breaks the flow of the game.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like the concept to add variety to the game and don't mind the tank mode, but normal driving and pursuit modes are too slippery for my tastes. I've been playing for a few hours, so maybe I need to more time with the Batmobile, but right now I would like more heft and tighter control. Also, having L2 for tank mode and the square button for braking/reverse on the DS4 are terrible without being able to customize controls.

roars5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait until the Riddler Race. Holy Jesus. Terrible stuff.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only dragons can truly love automobiles.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not having played the game yet (waiting for PC fixes) the issue I and other people have with it is there's too much of it forced within the main campaign. I think if it was an extra for exploring the open world, solving riddler puzzles, using its features to unlock new areas and maybe a couple uses in the main campaign it would've blended much nicer. I also think the amount of tanks you fight is just too much and from just looking at it the tank combat really isn't all that compelling for much of the same reasons I find the hand to hand combat uninteresting. However the grapple feature with it is fucking awesome and it looks to control and animate like a dream.

Opinion might change drastically when I actually get to play it but at this rate new PC port issues are arising every day.

clutch414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By clutch414

@bonorbitz:You can switch the controls in settings to make changing into battle mode a toggle on the R1/RB button. L2/LB becomes the button for brakes. It's under "game options" not "controls."

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait until the Riddler Race. Holy Jesus. Terrible stuff.

Oh I already did the first riddler race and I loved it. It was really fun getting it just right and I 3 starred that thing

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fun, I like it. I even don't mind the combat, though I hope they'll throw some new car enemy types my way soon.
I even liked the Riddler race. Reminded me a bit of something like Ikaruga, with having to toggle between two different race track states to make it to the end.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Only played a bit, but the thing I don't like about it so far is that tonally it feels misplaced. 'All these things are drones now' feels like the laziest and easiest justification to shoot rockets at tanks and not betraying Batman's no kill policy.

Besides that, it breaks momentum when the Batmobile is relatively close by, but not where I want it to be. I'm gliding across the city, wanting to get in the Batmobile and keep driving forward, only to find out Batman takes a hard 180 and glides slowly towards the Batmobile that was apparently behind me. An animation which I cannot seem to cancel out of.

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The Batmobile is way better than I thought it would be. Maybe because of everyone complaining about it. The Riddler races are the worst part of the game though. Fuck those things.

I love how they didn't cheat when you call it if you left it nearby. It has to actually drive to where you are rather than just spawing somewhere you aren't looking (at least I think that's how it works). Nice touch.

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the main complaint I have is just how out of place tank combat feels in a Batman game. I think the Batmobile is a great addition, but at the same time there is far more of it than I would've liked to see. It controls great and all, but I feel like it's the star of the game sometimes, not Batman. That's kind of a bummer.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's alright and would have been much better in mild doses, my only complaint is that it seems to be needed to often. My favorite new addition so far is the fear multi takedowns, i want to do more of that and less shooting things.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it just comes down to the fact that I just don't want to be forced to drive a tank in a Batman game. I'd honestly rather be taking drone tanks out with stealth and explosives. or at least have the option. I think I would've preferred the Batmobile just be a really cool car that is mandatory for chase missions and I can choose to use to for traversal and some combat if I want. Like Sleeping dogs.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't get the turning down, I always spin out or turn too much/too little and miss my turn.

I spent 22 minutes chasing Firefly around the city because I just could not keep up with him, every time I Almost had him he would turn or I would fumble and he'd be gone. I Really hated that chase sequence. The Riddler races are at least short & easily repeatable if you fuck up, I sort of like those missions.

The tank is actually my favorite part, but only because the driving feels like utter shit to me so Anything is better.

Translation: I am terrible at/ hate Driving games. They made my Batman game into half a driving game. I didn't ask for this.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm loving it too, I just wish they had gone all the way and had it be able to transform into a mech.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BradBrains

The regular gameplay is fine but some of thE bosses you use the Batmobile for are incredibly frustrating.

Good check pointing saved me from not being able to finish the game twice

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

The Batmobile eventually becomes fun it just takes several upgrades.

I also don't get why anyone is having trouble with any of the mandatory Batmobile sections. The hardest Batmobile stuff is the optional Riddler courses but that is my favorite use of the Batmobile.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok said:

The Batmobile eventually becomes fun it just takes several upgrades.

I also don't get why anyone is having trouble with any of the mandatory Batmobile sections. The hardest Batmobile stuff is the optional Riddler courses but that is my favorite use of the Batmobile.

I, like so many others, wanted to play a Batman game instead of some shitty Twisted Metal hybrid.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the Batmobile. The handling is perfect, it smashes through everything, it's snappy to get in and out of battle mode and it works for making a botched turn instead of handbraking. Overall I like the way it feels and the extra gameplay elements it brings. It's still faster to fly a lot of the time though, with the crazy triple grapple boost.

epicopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LOVE driving the Batmobile, I HATE combat in the Batmobile.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Batmobile is fine. I'm not sure if it needed to be there but what they did with it is fun and different enough. From what I can tell there is a finite ammount of drones on each of the islands so the combat (which is fine too) doesn't get out of hand. People complain way too much about that element of the game, but it's the internet, so no surprise there.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Switching the control scheme for the Batmobile is so much better

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

It's not the controls or the look, it's the repetition. It's just super boring to do anything tank related in the batmobile. I don't want to do vehicular combat in a Batman game, I want to punch people in the face.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Switching the control scheme for the Batmobile is so much better

yea really like the 60s car

It's not the controls or the look, it's the repetition. It's just super boring to do anything tank related in the batmobile. I don't want to do vehicular combat in a Batman game, I want to punch people in the face.

I dont find it super unfun but its a weird fit for batman.

I mean yea hes done the tank thing before but...there is a lot of it. and its the same thing basically every time.

I dont mind it but I can easily understand why others would not.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the Batmobile until that first proper Riddler puzzle room with the pressure plates and seesaw ramps. Fuck the Batmobile.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can dive bomb from the sky directly into my tank and rampage through the streets. All negative arguments against the batmobile are invalid because of this. I don't think there is a game that has made me feel more like a badass than Arkham Knight.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vierastalo: Wait until you do the final Riddler race track. The first one is a walk in the park compared to the finale.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

I can dive bomb from the sky directly into my tank and rampage through the streets. All negative arguments against the batmobile are invalid because of this. I don't think there is a game that has made me feel more like a badass than Arkham Knight.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really enjoying it too... it's just an awesome blend of tank and car mayhem. I haven't gotten to any main story or side mission car chases yet, but the few thugs driving around in cars are pretty fun to chase down. Getting that lock on and sending them flying with rockets is hilarious to watch. Half the time I'm just in disbelief that they're able to crawl out of their burning wreck of car, but half the things that batman does in these games are just as crazy and having the batmobile in this I feel really enhances the awesomeness.

It's so amazing how it's just a button away from being summoned and getting into and it feels like such an important tool now along with the rest of the gadgets in the game and I'm fine with that. Collecting the same gadgets upgrades like in each other arkham game just doesnt make sense.... You would think that from Arkham Aslyum to Arkham City, there would be a point where Batman would have been "you know... I should probably just have this on me at all times." The only game I feel that is in similar in having this strong of a connection between vehicles and the player would be something like Titanfall where it's just very easy to summon, get in, and use it as a tool.

After something like this, it just came as a though that vehicles in games are done really bad. Especially horses... there should be more connection there between the character and the horse. Having more instances of teamwork instead of the horse just being another vehicle for the player to use. But that's an entirely different topic.