Gamespot 10/10? This game MUST be good.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Man, my decision to buy a Wii U over the Xbox One continues to be the right decision. Bayonetta 2 getting good scores all over the place, a must buy for me. The first was so darn crazy you couldn't help but love it.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

LOL Polygon.

Goddamn I can't wait for this game. :D

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Ah yes, Aegies with that old chestnut of sexy = sexist.

Also these reviews seem hella early. Seems like a waste, given how overwhelmingly positive they are.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Also these reviews seem hella early. Seems like a waste, given how overwhelmingly positive they are.

A couple of years ago there was some scandal where a publisher was found to have granted outlets permission to post reviews early if the scores were above a certain threshold, does anyone remember who that was, or what the game was?

I'm sure that's not was is happening here, just made me think of that for some reason.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7  Edited By MachoFantastico

I thought that, it feels quite rare we get reviews this early these days. Guess it shows Nintendo's confidence. Isn't out till the 24th over here.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By MEATBALL

Nintendo just about always have nice and early embargos for their reviews. This really isn't anything new for them. Mario Kart 8 also had reviews two weeks early, for instance.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Looking forward to it, always like to support Platinum's games. Unfortunately, it's going to sell like complete trash regardless, and will probably be the last one of the series, but at least it looks like a hell of a banger to end on.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machofantastico: @meatball: Yeah, it's just that it's such a niche genre and a Wii U exclusive. I worry any fringe buyers these reviews might have convinced may just end up forgetting about it by the time the game is out. I want it to sell 10 million copies even though there aren't even that many Wii Us in homes yet I don't think. If I had infinity money I would buy ALL THE COPIES.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Makes me want to buy a Wii U. Thing is, I didn't really like the first Bayonetta all that much. :(

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to know it'll be good, was basically a foregone conclusion that I'd be getting it. Sleeper GOTY?

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GOTY for sure

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I saw the 9's and 10's - then I saw the 7.5 from Polygon and instantly I thought, as if psychic, did Arthur Gies write this review? I click the link and lo' and behold I am psychic.

I guess sometimes it's good to always have that one guy.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think dan is reviewing for GB

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Oh Arthur Gies, ever predictable. Least it's only accusations of sexism this time as opposed to misogyny.

I was kind of taken back to see the otherwise universal praise. I figured this game was going to be well made, but a 10/10 from Mark Walton on Gamespot in particular is high praise indeed. Still probably be too much crazy for me personally, though. Not like I have access to playing it mind...

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Edge magazine gave it a 10/10 and Gamesmaster magazine gave it a 91%. The reviews for this thing are insane.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Gonmog

What ever you do....for your own sanity do not read the forums for gamestops review. Shudder.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@alexgbro said:

GOTY for sure

Yuuuuuuup, seems like a real possibiliy. There doesn't seem to be that much competition this year so this could very well just clean up across the board.

Edge magazine gave it a 10/10 and Gamesmaster magazine gave it a 91%.

Added to the list. Muchas gracias, amigo!

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polygon docked it to 7.5 because it's sexual. That's dumb. It's subjective, but I can never get behind the reasoning of Polygon's reviews most of the time.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm a fan of Kamiya and own a Wii U, but haven't been huge on Bayonetta.

Those reviews are insane though. Not sure how to proceed.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need a Wii U.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I bought Gamecube back in the day just to play the Wind Waker - I am getting eerie feeling that I might accidentally get WiiU just for Bayonetta 2.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gonmog
AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad its Wii U only. Crazy considering the usual audience that plays Nintendo wouldn't really want this...right?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

of course arthur gies reviewed it and gave it a 7.5

but wow, the reviews are incredible, might be the highest rated AAA game out this year.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellbound: Huh? I don't get it. Who would not like a good game? I don't get it. Nintendo systems have always had weird games on them.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The first one got similar reviews, but everything around the core gameplay made me want to break the disk in half. Felt like the worst of anime, combined with a fun combat system and interesting enemies. Eventually the frustration won, and despite the reviews it seems like this one has the same faults.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By Humanity

This might turn out to be the best game no one will have played (and by no one I of course mean relatively few people, if the sales figures are anything to go by)

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gonmog: Has nothing to do with it being a good game. Just bayonetta strays very far from the Nintendo family. Sex, violence. I just find it weird still its exclusive to Nintendo.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellbound: Madworld, The Hero game forget the name (still remember my family looking at me funny when I was getting more health in that game hahah), fatal frame, hell even Zelda Mask had adult themes. They do adult they also do games aimed at everyone. That is there bread and butter. But "adult" games still get made for systems they develop.

That and there is a huge chance they are changing some of the way they pick games made for them.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Corevi

@gonmog: No More Heroes

NMH and Madworld weren't published by Nintendo though. It was Ubisoft and Sega respectively.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gonmog

@corevi: That's it! Thanks. Why did they have to make me do the jerking off motion to gain health I'll never know....was probably just to make awkward situations happen!

And yeah I know. But they where developed for the Wii. Think the second Heroes went multi? Not sure but still. :)

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By civid

Athur Gies lash against "sexism" in this game does somewhat remind me of Siskels rant against Aliens because they put a kid in harms way. Having an agenda and a political standpoint is great, it shows that we're growing as a media, but it's awfully embarrassing to accuse one of the only action games out there with a strong, feminine heroin of being sexist just because the game is trying to portray her as 'sexy'. It makes him come of as an old white man on a censorboard commity who wouldn't allow filmmakers to show bust in the 1930's filmindustry. It highlights a greater problem in the videogame media in which it seems that all sexiness is too often seen as either creepy fanservice or a blatant objefication of women.

Still the comments did make me happy, it does seem that Polygon at least have a healthy community that enjoy discussing the points of the review and not just the score... Which is more than I can say about the sess-pool that is Gamespots community. Christ almighty... I mean just read this comment:

"I was going to take issue with this review but it’s a valid opinion. I can see someone pole dancing and not finding sexual at all. But not everyone can do that. I learned from Giant Bomb that just because someone else doesn’t like a game if you read the review and you know the perspective of the reviewer from his previous reviews and statements then you can decide for yourself USINGwhat you know of the reviewer. Just like how I tend to love games Brad hates and vicaversa.

Still a good review. 4 out of 5 from Polygon ain’t bad!"

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not own a Wii U and probably won't for a while atleast.

I am considering buying this game at full price.

Take that as you will.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kotaku gave it a "YES".

Their formal review and Richard Eisenbeis's impressions back when he played the Japanese version are worth a read.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously? Those are amazing scores. I'm gonna read a bunch of them(and, I presume, wait for some in-depth look at the mechanics from a youtuber or blogger). Hope this will motivate the Giant Bomb crew to actually play it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@goonage said:

Gamespot 10/10? This game MUST be good.

Fun fact: the last game to get a 10 on GameSpot was Super Mario Galaxy 2 (May 23, 2010)!

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@civid: I warned people not to read it!!!!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gonmog said:

@corevi: That's it! Thanks. Why did they have to make me do the jerking off motion to gain health I'll never know....was probably just to make awkward situations happen!

Because it's a more literal representation of the sword=dick symbolism in anime

Loading Video...

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: ah. Never big on anime so that never hit me. Ok... It is more funny now lol.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Polygon review is a useless rant and tells me absolutely nothing. Bayo 1 had near-crippling issues with its QTEs that I seriously hope have been addressed.

The near-crippling issues with its QTEs have been addressed. Mid-cinematic QTEs are gone, and the only QTEs at all are fun ones. This is not the annoying problem that it was in Bayonetta 1.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove said:

That Polygon review is a useless rant and tells me absolutely nothing. Bayo 1 had near-crippling issues with its QTEs that I seriously hope have been addressed.

The near-crippling issues with its QTEs have been addressed. Mid-cinematic QTEs are gone, and the only QTEs at all are fun ones. This is not the annoying problem that it was in Bayonetta 1.

God, I completely forgot how horrid those were.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AMyggen

@civid said:

Athur Gies lash against "sexism" in this game does somewhat remind me of Siskels rant against Aliens because they put a kid in harms way. Having an agenda and a political standpoint is great, it shows that we're growing as a media, but it's awfully embarrassing to accuse one of the only action games out there with a strong, feminine heroin of being sexist just because the game is trying to portray her as 'sexy'. It makes him come of as an old white man on a censorboard commity who wouldn't allow filmmakers to show bust in the 1930's filmindustry. It highlights a greater problem in the videogame media in which it seems that all sexiness is too often seen as either creepy fanservice or a blatant objefication of women.

Still the comments did make me happy, it does seem that Polygon at least have a healthy community that enjoy discussing the points of the review and not just the score... Which is more than I can say about the sess-pool that is Gamespots community. Christ almighty... I mean just read this comment:

"I was going to take issue with this review but it’s a valid opinion. I can see someone pole dancing and not finding sexual at all. But not everyone can do that. I learned from Giant Bomb that just because someone else doesn’t like a game if you read the review and you know the perspective of the reviewer from his previous reviews and statements then you can decide for yourself USINGwhat you know of the reviewer. Just like how I tend to love games Brad hates and vicaversa.

Still a good review. 4 out of 5 from Polygon ain’t bad!"

Oh man you do not know how many comments have been deleted in that comment section. I've seen some people bragging that they were banned from Polygon "in minutes" after commenting under that review. It's just that there's no way of knowing when comments have been deleted there, as opposed to on GB where they keep a count of all the comments (including the deleted ones) AND the comments you can view.

Also, I have no problem with his review. I do not really agree with it even though I think the "strong, feminine heroin" is a pretty weak argument here; she could be that without the developers dressing her up as they do, and I can easily see someone having a problem with that. But opinions and all that.

Anyways, great scores all around. Looking forward to playing this. Wouldn't count out a 5* review from Dan either.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#48  Edited By TobbRobb

@aegon: Bayonetta 1 also reviewed well, and this looks more like the same. So you probably won't like it either? Pls buy it though, this is gonna sell undeserved amounts of nothing. T.T

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Not going to read any reviews or watch a single trailer. This was destined for GOTY whatever year it came out the second they announced it.