#1 Edited by Jedted (2390 posts) -

I know this is trivial but why does this bug anyone else playing with subtitles on? Why must David Cage force is crazy french phonetics on everyone?

Doesn't take me out of the game at all, just find it weird is all.

#2 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

How do you say "Gandalf"?

#3 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

How do you say "Gandalf"?

Gundamf.

#4 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

:D

I try to say a name the way its introduced to me, I didn't think of it as intrusive or forced; a bit unusual considering its all supposed to be about North Americans? Yes.

#5 Posted by MiniPato (2743 posts) -

Ninja Aiden

#6 Edited by TheHT (11521 posts) -

Executable.

#7 Edited by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Aiden! Blast the window! Aiden! Get me a sammich!

#8 Posted by Nodima (1243 posts) -

I-den. They pronounce it the other way, right? If so damn you again, Cage.

#9 Posted by Hameyadea (349 posts) -

I always read Aiden as "A"den (as in hey/wait). If someone wants their to be read as "I"den, I thought it would be natural to write Eden (as in eagle/e-sports)

#10 Posted by Brodehouse (10072 posts) -

Around the turn of the millenium, names that end in "aden" got super fucking popular. Hayden, Jaden, Brayden, Aiden, Caden/Kaden.

#11 Posted by Jedted (2390 posts) -

:D

I try to say a name the way its introduced to me, I didn't think of it as intrusive or forced; a bit unusual considering its all supposed to be about North Americans? Yes.

Exactly, i don't think i once heard anyone pronounce Aiden with the 'A'.

#12 Posted by spraynardtatum (3242 posts) -

I thought his name was Biden

#13 Posted by Turambar (6810 posts) -

I've know multiple Aidens over the years and they all pronounced their names as A-den

#14 Posted by D0tti (786 posts) -

Jason!

#15 Posted by Scrawnto (2456 posts) -

Maybe her ghost friend isn't American? I dunno. I haven't played the game. I've never heard the name pronounced 'I'-den before, though.

#16 Posted by AURON570 (1674 posts) -

I was half expecting some discussion of how Aiden is a surrogate for the player, so pronouncing it as "I-din" is actually a subtle hint at the "I" who is the player himself.

But nope, it's just a pronunciation quibble. If someone wants you to pronounce their name a certain way, and they have been called it that way since the day they were born (or similar), I don't see what the big deal is, you pronounce it the way they want. Purposefully not pronouncing their name the way they want is almost like giving them a nickname, which of course depending on how close you are to the person, could be taken in any number of ways.

#17 Posted by Bribo (605 posts) -

Don't you mean Aiden vs 'Ay'-den?

#18 Edited by RonGalaxy (3222 posts) -
#19 Edited by RonGalaxy (3222 posts) -

@bribo said:

Don't you mean Aiden vs 'Ay'-den?

Don't you mean Aiden vs 'Eye'den?

#20 Posted by Sterling (2459 posts) -

I want to know who gave him his name. In the games world that is. Because it seems to me Jody just starts calling him that. Unless he named himself, which seems even stranger.

#21 Posted by SlashDance (1828 posts) -
#22 Edited by Jedted (2390 posts) -
@auron570 said:

I was half expecting some discussion of how Aiden is a surrogate for the player, so pronouncing it as "I-din" is actually a subtle hint at the "I" who is the player himself.

I wouldn't put that past David Cage actually. The number of times they switch you to Aiden's perspective during cut scenes gave me that feeling.