4 hour GOTY PODCAST! What do you think they will choose?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Dany

Via: Brad  
 I'm told the length of the deliberation podcast is approaching four hours, for those asking.
42 minutes ago via Twitter  

I can see the final 4 being Batman, Uncharted, Killzone and MW2.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

I guarantee you Killzone will not be that high on their list. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By EpicSteve

You're forgetting Borderlands and DragonAge. If I was a betting man I'd chose one of them. Then again, it's silly for use to guess.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel
@EpicSteve said:
" You're forgetting Borderlands and DragonAge. If I was a betting man I'd chose one of them. Then again, it's silly for use to guess. "
I'd say Dragon Age would probably stand a chance if more of the guys had played it, but some of them have either not played it or have only barely started.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

4 hours?  Holy fucking shit balls.

walls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By walls

It probably came down to Uncharted and AC2, I bet Uncharted will win

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By rjayb89

Probably Uncharted 2.

Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lard

Better not be something stupid like UC2.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By RedSox8933

I gotta make time to listen to this beast!

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Red

I'm thinking the main debate will be over Uncharted 2, Arkham Asylum, Modern Warfare 2, and Dragon Age: Origins.  
Although I do hope that InFamous gets some mention. That was a fine game.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By thatfrood

It's obvious.
Tony Hawk: Ride.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@Lard said:
" Better not be something stupid like UC2. "
How the hell are you still here?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel
@ThatFrood said:
" It's obvious. Tony Hawk: Ride. "
It wins Best Quick Look hands down.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The problem with this year's GOTY awards is that Giant Bomb has entered a quandary. They could give the award to Modern Warfare 2, but that would be too obvious, and if they pick Uncharted 2 then it makes them seem like they picked it deliberately because it wasn't MW2, kind of like what Spike did. Last year it was far more even ground with GTA4 and MGS4, both of which told excellent stories and had good points for each.

I would personally vote for Dragon Age, but the Giant Bomb staff pretty much hate RPGs or anything that requires time and effort (Vinny may be the exception, but he seems to suffer from completionist OCD), not to mention that Jeff and Brad haven't touched it at all yet, so that's completely out of the question.

My personal prediction? They fall into the trap of "you can't vote for the most popular one" and decide Uncharted 2.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel
@ArbitraryWater said:
" The problem with this year's GOTY awards is that Giant Bomb has entered a quandary. They could give the award to Modern Warfare 2, but that would be too obvious, and if they pick Uncharted 2 then it makes them seem like they picked it deliberately because it wasn't MW2, kind of like what Spike did. Last year it was far more even ground with GTA4 and MGS4, both of which told excellent stories and had good points for each. I would personally vote for Dragon Age, but the Giant Bomb staff pretty much hate RPGs or anything that requires time and effort (Vinny may be the exception, but he seems to suffer from completionist OCD), not to mention that Jeff and Brad haven't touched it at all yet, so that's completely out of the question.  My personal prediction? They fall into the trap of "you can't vote for the most popular one" and decide Uncharted 2. "
Or they could just hand the award to Persona 4.  Who cares if it was released in 2008?  It's their award to give, damn it!
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" I guarantee you Killzone will not be that high on their list.  "
this. I reckon borderlands will be higher than Killzone 2 but Brad might think Killzone is badass because he's a PS3 fanboy and all.
Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Zaapp1

Braid PS3? Trine? Anyone?

Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Lestater

World of Warcraft.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Hailinel said:
" @ArbitraryWater said:
" The problem with this year's GOTY awards is that Giant Bomb has entered a quandary. They could give the award to Modern Warfare 2, but that would be too obvious, and if they pick Uncharted 2 then it makes them seem like they picked it deliberately because it wasn't MW2, kind of like what Spike did. Last year it was far more even ground with GTA4 and MGS4, both of which told excellent stories and had good points for each. I would personally vote for Dragon Age, but the Giant Bomb staff pretty much hate RPGs or anything that requires time and effort (Vinny may be the exception, but he seems to suffer from completionist OCD), not to mention that Jeff and Brad haven't touched it at all yet, so that's completely out of the question.  My personal prediction? They fall into the trap of "you can't vote for the most popular one" and decide Uncharted 2. "
Or they could just hand the award to Persona 4.  Who cares if it was released in 2008?  It's their award to give, damn it! "
Nah, that's what Giant Bomb's 2009 game of 2008 award is for.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By AndrewB

I don't think they're the types to rule something out just because it's popular. I can easily see the big deliberation being between MW2 and Uncharted 2. Dragon Age will be one of those honorable mentions, since the staff have yet to finish it, or in some cases, play it.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By SirPsychoSexy
@Lard said:
" Better not be something stupid like UC2. "
Hey its Lard trying to start a flame war again. 

GTFO.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brendan

I can see UC 2 taking it.  It's the game they've all seemed the most impressed by this year collectively.
inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By inkeiren

Uncharted 2 will win.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Scooper

I bet no matter what game is brought to the table the winner of GOTY will also be Jeff or Ryan's personal picks and the winning game won't of won because of its own greatness but because everyone else gave in and said ok.

JoshLarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JoshLarson
@ArbitraryWater said:
"The problem with this year's GOTY awards is that Giant Bomb has entered a quandary. They could give the award to Modern Warfare 2, but that would be too obvious, and if they pick Uncharted 2 then it makes them seem like they picked it deliberately because it wasn't MW2, kind of like what Spike did. Last year it was far more even ground with GTA4 and MGS4, both of which told excellent stories and had good points for each. I would personally vote for Dragon Age, but the Giant Bomb staff pretty much hate RPGs or anything that requires time and effort (Vinny may be the exception, but he seems to suffer from completionist OCD), not to mention that Jeff and Brad haven't touched it at all yet, so that's completely out of the question.  My personal prediction? They fall into the trap of "you can't vote for the most popular one" and decide Uncharted 2. "

Or they could, oh I dunno, give the award to the game they liked the best. Jesus, give the guys some credit. They are deciding their pick for best game of the year not most popular game of the year and as such shouldn't give any thought to what the unwashed forum idiots might think.
Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hashbrowns

Holy crap, I forgot Killzone 2 even came out this year!  Why do I think it came out last year? 

I imagine that Uncharted 2 is the most likely winner.  It's not only highly deserving, but the staff seems to be uniformly impressed by it.  I do expect, though, that Arkham Asylum will make a good showing.  Really, though, who thought a Batman game would be a contender for Game of the Year?  Heck, Shadow Complex is likely being discussed. 

The real question is if we'll get a four hour bombcast or a more condensed version.  I like listening to the guys, but four hours seems a little extreme.
NickNorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NickNorman

I just love when Ryan, Vinny, Jeff and Brad talk. They could discuss cheeses, and I'd still listen for as long as they kept going.

Personally, I think it's between Modern Warfare 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Uncharted 2. Borderlands, Assassin's Creed 2, and Dragon Age: Origins have a shot, but to me, it's among the first three. If I had to guess what the four would pick, I'd say Batman. Personally, I'm split between Modern Warfare 2 and Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@walls said:
" It probably came down to Uncharted and AC2, I bet Uncharted will win "
Assassin's Creed might get a nomination, since a few Four-Star games made it on the short list last year for their "Game of the Year", but I doubt it'll win. 

Uncharted, I think, is the heavy favorite. Modern Warfare, obviously, is right there with it. After that, it's something of a free-for-all. Batman, inFamous, Forza . . . there were a lot of high-caliber games this year. It will be an interesting discussion, no doubt.
VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By VisariLoyalist

uncharted 2, but I would choose killzone 2.

Avatar image for chocobo_blitzer
Chocobo_Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Chocobo_Blitzer

Did they say when we're going to get this podcast?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Milkman

I'm going with the arguement being between Uncharted 2 and Modern Warfare 2. And I see Uncharted 2 winning.

Robinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Robinson
@NickNorman said:
" I just love when Ryan, Vinny, Jeff and Brad talk. They could discuss cheeses, and I'd still listen for as long as they kept going."
indeed
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By raviolisumo

Noby Noby Boy.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho

I think they'll give the awards to the games they like.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel

Lets not forget games that were released earlier in the year.  I could see Street Fighter IV being mentioned as a possible candidate, at least.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By jakob187
@MAN_FLANNEL: These are the guys that debated Burnout Paradise in the same breath as Grand Theft Auto IV for GOTY.  It's hard to tell what they will choose.  The thing I love the most about Giant Bomb's awards...and especially the deliberation Bombcast...is that they look at the ENTIRE year, not just the back half like many places. 

I'm excited to hear the podcast.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By raviolisumo

I'm praying for Noby Noby Boy to at least be mentioned in some capacity. I love that thing so much.

Jikla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jikla

Rogue warrior is the only GOTY! But seriously...I think UC2 or dragon age will win.

DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DewRequired

Probably Uncharted 2, AC2, or Batman. Who would've guessed that MW2 might not be in the top 3 a few months ago?

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By Heartagram
@ArbitraryWater: Yeah they hate RPGS thats why Ryan/Vinny have sunk how much into Fallout 3? They also talk fondly of Diablo and what not
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By DrRandle

Maybe Batman, but I think it'll come down to Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2? I somehow doubt Modern Warfare 2 will be in that final debate, but I"m sure they talk about it a bit.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By raviolisumo

at around 1 minute they discuss releasing the "uncut and uncensored podcast" near the end of the month. No idea if we're getting an edited version sooner.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/3179528

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hailinel
@DewRequired said:
" Probably Uncharted 2, AC2, or Batman. Who would've guessed that MW2 might not be in the top 3 a few months ago? "
It was inevitable that MW2 would suffer from a hype backlash, but then it suddenly erupted into Mt. Glitchympus.  I think only the most ardent of MW fans would even consider it GOTY at this point.
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Uncharted 2 vs. Modern Warfare 2 

That's how I see it. I would personally vote Uncharted 2.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By dethfish

I'm sure Uncharted 2 will win. They all seemed to love that game. 

Actually they all seemed to like Batman as well. Maybe the final two will be Batman and Uncharted.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xyzygy

Probably UC2, just like everywhere else. I'm kinda hoping for something else like Batman or Assassins Creed 2, but those are just high hopes.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Heartagram said:

" @ArbitraryWater: Yeah they hate RPGS thats why Ryan/Vinny have sunk how much into Fallout 3? They also talk fondly of Diablo and what not "

I apologize. Allow me to rephrase my statement: The Giant Bomb staff pretty much hate complex RPGs that might require things like strategy. That's not to say that Fallout 3 isn't an RPG, but it's action oriented and not anywhere as niche as Dragon Age.
Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#48  Edited By Brackynews
@ArbitraryWater said:
" The problem with this year's GOTY awards is that Giant Bomb has entered a quandary. They could give the award to Modern Warfare 2, but that would be too obvious "
Bullcrap.  Listen to 2008's deliberations.  GTA4 was certainly an "obvious" choice, but it literally had to beat the shit out of MGS4.  The fun was in hearing how it got chosen, there wasn't a question left for me as to why (like so many other sites :)

I think GOTY has to be equal parts innovation and refinement, and I don't see that with MW2.  MW2 and UC2 fully met expectations, they cleared the bar they set for themselves.  AC2, B:AA, inF, these are titles that people weren't sure about, that had something to prove.
SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SleepyDoughnut
@ShaunassNZ said:
" @MAN_FLANNEL said:
this. I reckon borderlands will be higher than Killzone 2 but Brad might think Killzone is badass because he's a PS3 fanboy and all. "
You are dumbbbbbbb for thinking Brad is a PS3 fanboy.
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@SleepyDoughnut said:
" @ShaunassNZ said:
" @MAN_FLANNEL said:
this. I reckon borderlands will be higher than Killzone 2 but Brad might think Killzone is badass because he's a PS3 fanboy and all. "
You are dumbbbbbbb for thinking Brad is a PS3 fanboy. "
Sorry wrong name, I get mixed with their names who's the PS3 Fanboys name again, he has the short hair fuck.