Best Podcast to complement the Bombcast?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I've got extra travel time coming up this season, and I'm looking for another good gaming podcast to compliment the Bombcast (like 8-4 for example).

I'm specifically looking for something that has a little more focus on RPGs of all types and PC gaming.

Thanks.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

It almost sounds like you're looking for the current equivalent of GFW Radio or Active Time Babel. God damn the collapse of 1Up. We lost so many good shows. Those old shows might be available in torrents somewhere if you look hard enough.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

You might check out Retronauts featuring people like James Mielke, Ray Barnholt, Jeremy Parish, and Bob Mackey. They talk a lot about RPGs but, as the name suggests, they are usually discussing older titles. They do cover other genres but I'd say they are most passionate about RPGs and focus on them more than anything else.

MeAuntieNora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MeAuntieNora

At first I misread the title as "compliment," and I was thinking The Super Best Friendcast loves Giant Bomb and they speak highly of those dudes like weekly!

Then I corrected my reading comprehension and I'd still like to recommend Super Best Friendcast.

They are also a humor show, though they're perhaps more crass in some ways than the Bombcast, and there is a different energy overall that I still find appealing. While they are always about games generally, and can be expected to play pretty much everything, they ALL are RPG fans of different types, with Pat and Liam being close to what you might call fanatics in their own way. So you get a TON of Persona talk over the year (it's only been on for ~52 episodes) along with general RPG chatter sprinkled in constantly throughout whatever dumb, often funny bullshit.

It's not really about RPGs, and it's way more... academic... But I'd be remiss to not recommend A Life Well Wasted. It is a loving exploration of some fascinating aspects of the culture that is never dull and features many great interviews of all sorts... it's really fantastic, and you can listen to all of it in a short time.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@meauntienora: ahaha, I was also going to recommend SBFC. Their style is very GB like, and their videos are often stupider...which is what you want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I find Comedy Bang! Bang! is a good compliment to the Bombcast. It may not be about video games but I think the silliness and weird tangents the CBB goes on pairs well with the off-topic goofiness that goes on during a Bombcast.

I might be in the minority here when I say Bombcast is the only enjoyable gaming podcast. I've tried a bunch of other ones but they don't seem to have the same chemistry as the Bombcast Crew.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've always enjoyed joystiq's podcast so I'd recommend that. The latest iteration of it rotates their writers so sometimes it is hit or miss on what will be discussed / quality.

They stopped doing it for some reason, but if you don't mind listening to old content, I'd check out Polygon's The Besties podcast.

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really enjoy the idle thumbs podcast.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Not a gaming podcast but my personal perfect compliment to the bombcast is a podcast called 'uhh yeah dude', not sure how well known it is. As an english person I find it fascinating, and ofc funny but anyway it seems to work well when I run out of bombcast. I feel I should say it's not for the easily offended and definitly 18+

Bit off topic there but thought I'd throw that into the mix.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Idle Thumbs all the way. They're like a smarter version of the bombcast, but still funny in their own way. It took me a couple of episodes to start enjoying them, but now they're probably my second favourite podcast (behind GB of course).

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idle Thumbs. They talk about games in more depth than the Bombcast, but it's still really funny. Get into it.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

As 2 of the 3 brothers are writers for Polygon, video games sometimes are briefly addressed on My Brother, My Brother, and Me. Although it's mostly ghosts and horses.

An example of when a game was indirectly discussed.

Loading Video...

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I usually listen to the Bombcast and Comedy Bang Bang back-to-back, easily 2 of my most favorite entertainment podcasts. But if it has to be a gaming podcast, I'd probably go with Idle Thumbs. The strategy games podcast from their network, Three Moves Ahead, talks a lot about PC games but it's a bit more focused and serious.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By TheHBK

Love Line with Dr Drew and Psycho Mike. Or going back to classics that had Adam Carolla are good too.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well I really like Ithe sometrics show, but they talk more often about Nintendo than PC game and/or RPGs

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any podcasts that talk about classic CRPG's like Ultima?

buckydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comedy Bang! Bang! captures the convivial spirit of improvised chaos that the Bombcast has always distinguished itself with. Jeff's been hip to CBB since back when it was called Comedy Death Ray, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had an influence on the show's podcasting style. Many of the best "bits" in the show's history have been because the duders were willing to take the podcast on surreal detours when enacting characters or situations. They share a loose structuring of the show around segments, but the generally freeform conversational style of each means you can talk about anything, so long as it's entertaining. The Bombcast is a bit like theatrical improve, where news items and reviews act as prompts from an audience that spur conversation. CBB is entertainment without editorial, so it's less restricted and riskier at the same time. The content of GB's editorial work is the real backbone of why the show remains vital week-to-week, but the personalities on the Bombcast are what really set it apart.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'd like to third the suggestion of the Friendcast.

It's a lot of the best attributes of the Bombcast (friends having a conversation about games, being very knowledgeable and informed, very engaged in the industry and culture itself, occasional amusing tangents, all of them with very amusing and defined personalities) while also compensating for a lot of what I consider to be negative aspects of the Bombcast these days; they have more of passion and enthusiasm, they disregard the increasingly "serious, professional" scolding tone that the Bombcast has picked up in the last year at times, they're being much looser with their language and format, and have more knowledge (or at least, awareness) of niche things than the Bombcast does.

They manage all of this while openly admiring the Bombcast and Giant Bomb's legacy, and their status as otaku YouTube nerds from Montreal places them entirely outside of industry cliques. It is a refreshing joy to listen to and complements the Bombcast nicely, while reminding me of the Bombcast's earlier years in tone and sense of camaraderie.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

My Brother, My Brother and Me is the best podcast for listening to three grown men talk about horses on a disturbingly regular basis.

HouseOfWolves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HouseOfWolves

Bret Easton Ellis

Ice T

dkraytsberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video Games Hot Dog!

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll throw my hat behind Idle Thumbs. Very smart, very funny and a lot of PC talk. Not a lot of RPG stuff though, so it won't fit that criteria.

HOWEVER! 8-4 Play is also funny and talks a lot about RPGs.

Try those.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Personally I have trouble listening to very many gaming podcasts, because it just gets kind of redundant.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By TheBluthCompany
Loading Video...

Bono still needs to get them those fuckingt-shirts.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two that I have been keeping up with are Idle Thumbs and Isometric.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By InsidiousTuna

Idle Thumbs is fantastic. I also like Polygon's Quality Control, which just started. Justin McElroy interviews someone who just published a game review and they walk through the reviewer's thought process.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#27  Edited By Lelcar

I honestly find most video game podcasts way too stiff, or the humour is awkward , or it's too serious. The only other video game podcast that entertains me as much as Giant Bomb, is Mega64. The chemistry and banter with Mega64 is flawless and hilarious. Well, to my sense of humour anyway.

I used to listen to Garnett Lee's podcasts from 1up and then Shacknews, but I fell off when he went solo. I listen to 8-4 here and there, but I can't take a lot of it. I've tried multiple times to get into Idle Thumbs on recommendation and I'm just not feeling the vibe of that podcast, I dunno.

I have a degree in Radio Broadcasting, I love talking. And I feel that no one else matches the air of confidence and professionalism as Giant Bomb. They are natural speakers.

Anyway, I'm always willing to give video game podcasts a shot and I wish I wasn't so picky about them because I do want more material to listen to while I walk, bus, and play games.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rejizzle

The IGN podcasts are pretty good. I listen to The Nintendo one (NVC) and the Playstation one (Beyond!) on occasion.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Sounds like I'm going to give Idle Thumbs a chance.

@belegorm said:

Any podcasts that talk about classic CRPG's like Ultima?

Man, I wish.

Bret Easton Ellis

I actually bonded with a new coworker of Bret Easton Ellis, and she told me he had a podcast. So far it's pretty cool, but there's not a lot of episodes. I still need to check out the Kanye episode.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

If you wanna hear Dave, Vinny, Will and Jeff Green talk about dad stuff they listen to the dadcast, they just got their own page: http://www.tested.com/podcast/bunch-of-dads/

Some damn funny stuff, listen to the early episodes.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

@forcen said:

If you wanna hear Dave, Vinny, Will and Jeff Green talk about dad stuff they listen to the dadcast, they just got their own page: http://www.tested.com/podcast/bunch-of-dads/

Some damn funny stuff, listen to the early episodes.

Oh wow, these 4 guys could talk about anything I'd be excited for it, thanks :)

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see others mentioned Idle Thumbs.

I would also like to recommend, as far as video games go;

• Rebel-FM
  • Tone Control

Also, everyone need some humor podcasts;

• Cashing in with TJ Miller (funniest show I ever heard, it gets funnier the more you listen to it and get more into their inside jokes)
  • The Comedy Button
Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Vidjagame Apocalypse is very good. (As are all the other Laser time network podcasts.)

Buddy900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want a change from the video game chat go try Smodcast if you dont mind kev smith

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the CAGcast and Gamers with Jobs podcasts for video games.

For non-gaming podcasts, I am addicted to Good Job, Brain. It's a trivia podcast with a fun group of co-hosts who test each other (and the audience) with topics of trivia. It's great to play a long with the podcast and none of it is so ridiculously obscure that you feel you never had a chance (unlike some of the BBC quiz show podcasts).

Laser Timeis good for general geek/retro conversations. I'm more of an 80's kid and as a group they're more into the 90's, but they often look at cartoons, movies, and TV from earlier decades. I tend to agree or disagree with their opinions about 50% of the time. The conversation is good though and often humorous.

Finally, there is Far Far Away, a Star Wars podcast that is the most unabashedly fan-wank this side of Harry Potter boy-love fanfic. The way the hosts talk about every detail of every element of Star Wars with such passion and imagination is wondrous. I am amazed that anyone could as deep into anything as they do.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking_funeral:

I actually decided to go with Ultima IV as the first game to start learning how to stream on twitch; it worked out great and my first follower is a guy who apparently did a ton of work on the Ultima wiki, the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom wiki.

peterious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Check out Podburglars, hosted by former GB interns Nick, Matt, and Ben. If you enjoyed John Drake's tales of Matt Kessler on the Bombcast this gives a direct feed of the madness. They talk about games at least once an episode but they mostly just talk about Waluigi.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite companion to the bombcast is all of the old bombcasts!

I started listening around 2012 so going back and listening to every single old episode in order is good fun. Even the old Arrow Pointing Down stuff is great.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daft Souls (http://mattlees.com/daftsouls/feed.xml) is a good podcast hosted by Matt Lees and featuring a rotating cast of UK games journalists. They talk about PC games and RPGs a lot.

Burt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Burt

I think DLC is pretty good, always quite varied and touches on board games as well

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By nickhead

Idle Thumbs is the only other gaming-specific one I listen to. Definitely a good one.

I'd plug my own newly-formed podcast but I think that's against the rules here!

Edit: I like the 8-4 guys a lot too, almost forgot about them.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also going to say Idle Thumbs. An excellent podcast that I find both funny and well thought out. The addition of Daniel elevated this podcast from my #1 podcast to #1 by a long shot and hearing cybah punk cawp killah still makes me giggle.

I'll also add in Gamers with Jobs. It lacks the silliness of Idle Thumbs, but is very structured with each episode revolving around a particular topic of the week.

WateryFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By evilrazer

I'm late to the party, but. Ice-T Final Level Podacst. You don't have to love rap music to love Ice-T. Podcast is extremely funny, features famous guests, they talk about video games, music, tv-shows, movies and life. I don't know how, but Ice-T is so badass, he manages to slide in stories about his life before he got famous so casually. "Nah,nah,nah, you don't get it, dawg... When I say I was hustling, I'd wake up at 7AM and commit felonies the whole day, robbing fools."

Bill Burr Monday Podcast is just ol' Billy ranting for an hour about life, football, internet. Prepare yourself for occasional and unintentional comedy that catches you off-guard. "Me-Undies, Me-Undies, Cup your fucking balls!"

I'm pretty sure someone pointed out that Comedy Bang Bang, or should I say Comedy Fang Fang is fantastic.

Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By Tortoise

"crate and crowbar" is great, intelligent and funny discussion of pc stuff from the uk

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MeierTheRed

Gamers With Jobs is a good one, i really like that one a lot. More mature gamers but they are fun and easy to listen to. Also they mostly talk about PC games.

CAGcast is good one as well, usually very fun too. Not PC centric though.

And if you want something dumb to listen to The Comedy Button, should do the trick.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ch3burashka

I've always enjoyed joystiq's podcast so I'd recommend that. The latest iteration of it rotates their writers so sometimes it is hit or miss on what will be discussed / quality.

They stopped doing it for some reason, but if you don't mind listening to old content, I'd check out Polygon's The Besties podcast.

Joystiq wasgood. Ever since everyone cool left (and went to Polygon) the new format has sucked.

Besties stopped updating because Justin had a baby or something. His wife, not him.

As for the OP, stop listening to all podcasts. Easiest way to avoid heartbreak when hosts inevitably leave or the podcast itself is cancelled.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The variety of podcasts on the Laser Time Network are the best. If you used to listen to TalkRadar, it's a lot of the same people.

Laser Time is the flagship show about pop culture in general.

Vidjagame Apocalypse is the video game show.

Cape Crisis is the comic show.

Cheap Popcast is the wrestling show (Dan is a guest on the Summerslam episode)

VGMpire is the video game music show.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idle Thumbs is insane and fantastic. Danielle Raindeer was a great addition to an already good podcast. They're all very enthusiastic.

Rebel FM is still going strong. Arthur Gies and his kittens are more humorous is person than in text, Mitch Dyer and Anthony Gallegos are horrible people in Rust, and the terrifying sounds of Oakland (go Giants) are always fun guest stars. They usually get to the games pretty fast, which I appreciate.

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will echo the main ones - Idle Thumbs is great for more in depth game design talk, and Comedy Bang Bang just for the general insanity it can provide. I love the Gary Marshall and Gillian Jacobs storyline so much on CBB...