Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

@rethla said:

Im suprised noone mentions Batman. Is that game really so universaly hated? I Really enjoyed that game and i even played it on PC.

Jeff has been fairly outspoken against Arkham Knight, and GBeast has had a couple of fairly critical discussions about the game as well. At least at Giant Bomb, I don't imagine Batman will earn much distinction.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

All i know is that like every year before it Forza will be not mentioned :(

I hear you but still, Forza aint even the best racing game this year. Its not Forza that aint mentioned its any sportsgame whatsoever.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

D Dog for best new character!

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

@twolines said:

Gosh. There's a possibility that this could actually happen, even though it's an expansion. Brad. Come on, man.

It won't happen. Brad baaaaarely got it through last year, it took a 45 minute filibuster to do so, and Jeff only begrudgingly talked the group into it as a statement about how weak last year was. There's no chance it even sniffs top 10 this year.

Jeff has been fairly outspoken against Arkham Knight, and GBeast has had a couple of fairly critical discussions about the game as well. At least at Giant Bomb, I don't imagine Batman will earn much distinction.

Yeah, Arkham won't even get close to top 10. I mean, I like the game more than most of the GB crew seems to, and even I'm not sure it'll be on my top 10 by the end of the year knowing what is to come.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 is definitely my personal GOTY as of now, but I have to imagine that MGS V will take the top spot for the crew pretty easily unless Fallout 4 is just insanely good. None of the guys seem to be too huge into the Witcher series, so while I expect it to make the top 10 I doubt it'll be too high up on the list.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I will be sad when pillars of eternity doesn't even get an "honored to be in the discussion" mention.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@twolines said:
@bladededge said:

MGS5 though? Like I wonder how many people are in the "uh that series sucks/I hated 4/the sniper is a dead-no" or in my case, a fan of the series, ok with the content but..I've gotten to mission 14 and so far..the only real exciting thing was the opening. "Lets build a base and take on merc work!" is so not a driving factor story wise and "but it gets good 10+ hours in i swear!" is hard to sell on a lot of people if the game-play is not your thing (and not everyone is into 'stealth is required" gameplay.

It doesn't get good 10 hours in, it gets good 1.5 hours in when you rescue Miller. If you're not into it by that time, you're not into it. I think it's a shoe-in for GOTY at this moment. Fallout 4 may be a contender, as can Just Cause 3, if everything works out.

1.5 hours in? Really? I think your not following the point I was trying to make, which is fine I was woozy last night.

From a gameplay perspective, your right. If its the game-play your after, then by about that point you absolutely would be sold on it, getting Miller is like the first big challenge and if you have fun over-coming it, again purely fun from the game-play, then you've got it. From a story perspective though?

No, no, my 10 hour mark is not even a made-up thing, its from numerous people, even the GB guys themselves saying that things really start to pick up story wise at about..mission 16. Which is, according to my play-clock, about 10 hours in. I know I've put that much time into and have yet to see them telling a story that's more complex then "Lots of Merc groups are fighting all over, there's a evil organization pulling strings, and lets go merc work in order to fight them" not 'no story' but..that's literally the plot to a half-dozen 90s action movies and games I've played. Sure there are moments of 'wtf, cool!' in there but nothing like the opening.

So, my point is, the game play might sell that game to a lot of people. But the story? That's the thing the series is ultimately known for. That we got this amazing game play element is crazy cool but..I think it having the FF13 problem of "It gets good if you stick with it!' element to its plot, to a lesser degree granted but still, is gonna drop it down on the over-all like general opinion. On GB itself? yah, ok. My comment was more towards the internet writ large.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless Fallout 4 happens to be amazing (which meh, whatever) I'm thinking MGSV has to be the #1 contender for GOTY right now.

To be honest It's number one for me as well. Single player games don't typically keep me hooked anymore, but I'm still going strong on MGS. Even Witcher 3, which I thought was great, fell off for me after around 30 hours of gameplay.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I remember when Last of us won GOTY. I remember Jeff not really liking it but somehow was not against it? How does that happen?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I honestly don't understand why Fallout 4 is already getting so much presumed GOTY buzz. It just looks like next gen Fallout 3. Nothing more nothing less. And that just seems so incredibly boring to me.

vampire_chibi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played any new games this year ._.'

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd add Dying Light to your list. I think they will mention it (probably Brad) and nothing more. It's in my top 3 so far this year though. Story was pretty dumb but it was so fun and I think they still haven't released that big DLC they have been teasing.

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a bunch of games that came out this year that are way better than -anything- on last year's GOTY list. It's gonna be a bloodbath.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By VoshiNova

I'm really surprised by how many people think Witcher 3 is a shoe in for GOTY. I loved loved loved it, but the crew have not really spoken to passionately about it outside recognizing that it's well made. It also seemed like most of them fell off around the Dandelion bullshit that fills the early third of the game.

But it is really good - I bet it would take a solid 5 or 6 position. Here's hoping someone actually finishes it. All Fallout 4 has to realistically do is not be a technical nightmare and I think it'll fill a month of everyone's game time. The east coast crew'll have some really impassioned Rocket League discussion too.

Also this.

There are a bunch of games that came out this year that are way better than -anything- on last year's GOTY list. It's gonna be a bloodbath.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

One thing I remember when Last of us won GOTY. I remember Jeff not really liking it but somehow was not against it? How does that happen?

Jeff's pretty good at getting out of the way of everyone else on that kind of stuff. He wasn't as big on Mordor as the others either. He got out of the way on Far Cry 3 as well and Uncharted 2 and a couple of others. I think the year he put up the most resistance to the winner on was Saints Row the Third vs. Skyrim, and he was also in the right I might add. ;)

TracerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#66  Edited By TracerX

Brad and Jeff both love the hell out of MGSV. The past GOTYs always seem to come down to a Brad and/or Jeff filibuster, and with both of them on the same side I don't think anyone else will be able to put up an argument. Not to mention Dan and Jason both love it too.

Maybe Fallout 4 or Just Cause 3 if they're incredible, which there's a decent chance of I think. Or something else crazy will happen and Frog Fractions 2 will win somehow.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taken King Top Slot!

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voshinova: some of us just want to dream a little dude, we know how it is going to be. I for one setting my expectations very low with the witcher on the top 10 list. So I won't get burned and salty.I am still going to be salty .

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

At the moment it's hard to imagine anything but Phantom Pain as GOTY. I guarantee it's what Dan wants, and I bet it's Brad's pick too. It'd be nice if there was a debate though, and not just about the games in the bottom slots. I hope they do some reworking with some of the categories, and maybe add a couple too.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Phantom Pain
  2. Mario Maker
  3. Just Cause 3
  4. Witcher 3
  5. Splatoon

That'll be the top 5 this year. I promise you. If I'm wrong, I'll eat a fucking shoe.

I'm wondering if they are going to have to drop the everyone gets a favorite that isn't TOO crazy on the top 10 list dealing that has been going on. With 8 Duders, and Metal Gear, that leaves a pretty narrow window for a top 10. I'm hoping they get more interesting with their lower tier awards so that many of the oddball favorites can get their due there so we can have a more appropriate (if much more acrimonious) Top 10. Of course I want Austin to push King of Dragon Pass for old game of 2015. If you made the right choices you could have Anglo Saxon/Vikings riding triceratops into battle.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Based on everything so far this year, I'd say:

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (It just has to be, right?)

2. Just Cause 3

3. Super Mario Maker

4. Rocket League

5. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

6. Halo 5: Guardians

7. Splatoon

8. Bloodborne

9. Axiom Verge

10. Mortal Kombat X

Now a few wildcards:

• Fallout 4: I loved Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Skyrim, but this year is going to be very busy, and I have a feeling the gang's tolerance for broken games, and yet another potentially long game, could lead to either people not playing a lot of it, getting fed up with another buggy game, or not loving it as much as Fallout 3 or Skyrim since these games (while still awesome!) aren't new or as novel like they were 5-10 years ago.
  • Persona 5: That game is still coming out this year, right?! They keep saying it, but come on! (That and also who will have enough time to play all of Persona 5 before the GOTY talks)
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider: People seem to be optimistic about it compared to how Tomb Raider turned out (Hey look! Tombs!!) but Tomb Raider seemed like a pretty split game. I can see it being a runner up though. (The unofficial, official number 11)
  • Assassin's Creed Syndicate: Flip a coin on whether anybody will like this game, I guess.
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris: Depends on if the gang will remember it. And then depends on if they will care that much about it in December.
  • Heroes of the Storm: Depends on how much Drew, Dan, and Brad play it to push it on here.
  • Persona 4: Dancing All Night: Oh if only...
WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By WalkerTR77

I think Axiom Verge might be a Syndicate situation with Jeff getting it in the top ten by concentrated power of will.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

MGSV is taking it, let's not kid ourselves. I won't appear anywhere on my list, but the Gbomb crew have been collectively pooping themselves over it for half a month so far, and I don't see it ending. No one at GB is going to fight for Bloodborne or Witcher or Mario Maker taking it. Nothing else is plausible. Fallout 4 is going to be collectively shrugged over by those guys, because it's too long and time consuming for enough of them to have played it by the time GOTY comes around. Also, let's not forget, everyone gets to force one pet project onto the list. So expect Dota2/Destiny (brad), Call of Duty (Jeff), and Contradiction (GBeast as a group). It'll be a fun discussion, but I don't see this being a fight at the top. The fights will be in the middle of the list.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@pilgore said:

Witcher 3 has to be top 5 easily. But knowing the larger part of GB crew's overall dislike for deep story driven RPG's we'll have to make do with it hopefully making top 10 at least (which is fucking crazy to me, Witcher 3 is one of the best games of the last 10 years).

This.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

MGSV is the shoo-in for game of the year at the moment. I think Rocket League is probably the next closest though we will have to see if Mario Maker holds. I think Fallout 4 is only going to dethrone The Phantom Pain if it has way better combat than Bethesda games typically have and it fixes a lot of the open world jank, since this has been the main sticking point with Jeff every time the game is mentioned. I could see Fallout 4 making the top 5 though, if it is as solid as it looks and it will be fresh in their minds. They've played enough Just Cause 3 and I've played enough of it to know that unless there is something critically flawed with the mission design or metagame then it easily makes the Top 10 and could crack the Top 3 but it doesn't feel new enough to leap over MGSV.

I'm curious to see how far Vinny can get Cradle. It probably wins best story, especially since Giant Bomb has largely been ignoring the influx of episodic games this year. I would not be surprised to see Vinny try to push it into the number 10 slot.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand why it's listed, but I really don't think KSP should be considered in GotY discussion after being out in early access forever. It's not really fair, but if you're going to put your game out in early access for years (plural!) you forfeit the fanfare of end of year best lists.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Game of the Year will be MGSV or Fallout 4.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The final fight will probably be MGS V, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Mario Maker and Just Cause 3, with the dark horse candidates being The Taken King (Brad will go all the way for Destiny), Rocket League, and Until Dawn.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgaras1103: I hear ya. I mostly feel the same way.

I'm really hopeful for Dan to speak up more this year as well. Part of me thinks he was just being respectful last year, and I'd love to hear him ramble a bit more this year.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think people are thinking about games that are TOO obvious and pedestrian. About 1/3 the games will be things we have heard of, but which MANY OF US do not have on our own lists.

And, Destiny might even win, Best 2014 Game of 2015. The only other old game they played more this year was FarCry 4 or DOTA I actually think Jeff, Drew, Vinny, and Alex will team-up to pull some shit (all in good fun) so that Destiny won't win...they'll do it just to twist the knife in Brad's side on that joke category.

I think people are underestimating how BROKEN Fallout 4 will likely be on launch. It will come out broken, and people will still be playing Metal Gear. Fallout 4 might get Most Broken Games if Bethesda's track recorded in any indication. GOTY? I, really, doubt it.

One game I doubt will get much play is Life Is Strange. It will be #1 on my list, but only the BEast Coast will have played it.

This year will be interesting since *MIGHT* see a "point of view" separation with West Coast vs East Coast. Who knows...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I will be sad when pillars of eternity doesn't even get an "honored to be in the discussion" mention.

Heh, I'm with you, but I've long since come to terms with the fact that the Giant Bomb staff doesn't much care for the sorts of games that I like. If I want validation for being into RPGs more complex than Mass Effect, I'll go elsewhere.

On that note, none of them have finished The Witcher 3, right? They still have 3 months, obviously, but I don't think that bodes well for that game getting anywhere near GOTY. Right now it seems like it's Metal Gear's fight to lose.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I hope the crew gives Witcher 3 a really solid second look before the end of the year, I'm convinced that game is one of this medium's greatest achievements TO DATE and the patches/DLC look to only improve that status

In all seriousness though, MGS V will probably clean house and come out on top

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xavtron: hmm Just Cause 3 could be a top 3 or number 10 depending on huch Jeff likes it

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: I think Dan was really close to finishing it and maybe already has, no idea about the rest of the crew though. Sigh......I think getting Witcher 3 in the top *10* will already be a real struggle let alone top 5.

Which is a shame because that game is SO. GOD. DAMN. GOOD.

Oh well.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voshinova: i think they haven't finish it and the movment stuff will be a big minus.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has been a great year for games, mario and mgs are probably the only locks for the crew so far.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't think Witcher 3 makes it into the top 10 you're straight up certifiable. I think the length of the game doesn't mesh well with their lifestyles, but they're professionals. They'll give it the recognition it deserves. Honestly, I'd be shocked if it didn't make it into the top five.

MGSV has to take the number one spot, though. I think that's pretty much guaranteed at this point.

My personal list at this point would be:

1. The Witcher 3
  2. MGSV
  3. Elder Scrolls Online (Xbox One)
  4. Mad Max
  5. Lara Croft Go
  6. Hitman Go
  7. Pillars of Eternity

... and that's all the games I've played this year. Fallout 4 will end up in the top three somewhere I'm sure. I've watched Let's Plays of Life Is Strange and Until Dawn, and both of those games are pretty awesome too.

Best 2014 Game of 2015 goes to Elite: Dangerous. Best 2014 Game of 2015 - 2024 will go to Elite: Dangerous if Frontier can pull off their future content plans.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Dragon_Puncher

@clagnaught:

I think this list is preeetty close to what the final top 10 is going to be. The only games I really doubt are Halo 5 and Mortal Kombat X. While Halo 5 looks pretty good, Drew will probably be the biggest supporter of it and he doesn't really fight that hard for games (last year he had Wolfenstein as his number 1 game, but pretty much just let Destiny take the 10. Spot before it). And while most seem to like Mortal Kombat X, this is a strong year, so there'll probably be a lot of games overall that just move them more.

If I had to guess I think Grow Home and Fallout 4 will make it instead. Grow Home is highly liked especially by Brad who (like Jeff) can get games on the list by pure force alone. Fallout 4 is kinda an unknown ror now, but a lot of the guys (Brad and Jeff specially), really like Falllout 3 and the fallout world, so I think it has a very good chance, even with some inevitable Bethesda bugs.

@bane:

While I agree Witcher 3 will probably make the list. GB has made clear multiple times that the list isn't about some overall gaming merit based on which game is objectively better, it's about which games they enjoy the most/how hard you a willing to fight for those games and make pseudo alliances. If they didn't enjoy Witcher 3 all that much, it isn't going on the list, simply as that.

GTA 5 didn't make it in the top 10 in 2013, not because it was a bad game, but because everybody was pretty disappointed in it and nobody really wanted to fight for it.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Her Story gets some recognition and I hope Austin is there to push it as high as he can!

I'm somewhat afraid that it is gonna be a fight between The Witcher and MGS. Not that I think they're bad games. That said, GB has been great in the past at making weird personal choices that end up being interesting.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm gonna be a little bummed out if the guys don't get into Witcher 3 in a big way. To me this should be a detailed discussion about the pros and cons of two incredible open world games. MGSV and Witcher 3. Although, I guess Fallout 4 could still throw a wrench in that. Or Just Cause 3.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#91  Edited By Wraithtek

Was looking at last year's categories, then started thinking about Best Console Exclusives. Last year, Wii U took the win, thanks to Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros. and Captain Toad.

I started looking at 2015 exclusives, and came up with the following list of games that might come up in this year's discussion.

PlayStation 4Xbox OneWii U
BloodborneForza Motorsport 6Splatoon
Until DawnHalo 5: GuardiansSuper Mario Maker
Everybody's Gone to the RaptureOri and the Blind Forest *Yoshi's Wooly World
Axiom Verge *Star Fox Zero
Galak-Z: The Dimensional *Xenoblade Chronicles X
Grow Home *
Rocket League *
SOMA *
  • * Available on PC and/or previous-gen console.
  • Not Yet Released
  • I may have skipped a few games I hadn't heard of, or that weren't well received.
  • If any of these aren't actually 2015 games, blame Wikipedia.
  • Edit: Removed Persona 5, as it just got delayed.

I don't remember if titles available on PC + one console (like Grow Home) are considered in this category. If so, the PS4 is home to a number of these. Otherwise, it's mostly a fight between Bloodborne/Until Dawn vs. Halo/Forza vs. Splatoon/Mario Maker.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think MGS V, Rocket League, and Mario Maker will be the top 3 in some order; MGS V being #1.

I don't think Witcher will be as high as most people think/want it to be; it seems like Dan is the only one still playing it.

Halo, Fallout, and Just Cause could disrupt my current predictions as those look like they could be amazing.

I'm interested to see how vocal Vinny is this year, as he hasn't been able to play many games. I hope he becomes a moderator that will help talk Brad and others out of their filibusters.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wraithtek:

If I had to guess, Super Mario Maker probably has this in the bag. I doubt Halo 5 will get the same kind of praise and while they like Bloodborne, it doesn't seem like any of them love it, except Dan.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, and Sonic Dreams Collection is a lock for Most Likely To Be Frog Fractions 2 (if anyone played/watched it).

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Fredchuckdave

MGSV, Rocket League, Witcher 3; I suppose the Jeff factor negates the Witcher 3 but it is the objectively best game so there's always a chance considering we have logical folks around. Also could very easily have an East vs West faction battle.

Metal Gear is an awesome game, the Witcher 3 is just better than everything for the past 10.5 years, hard to really compare the two.

There is still an argument for Rocket League and that's based around how impossible it is to make a near perfect sports game.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm predicting it'll be a fucking blood feud between MGSV and Fallout 4. As for which side everyone stands on, I have no idea.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always wanted to ask. Does goty Awards from various publications boosts game sales? Or is it more prestige thing for developers?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgaras1103 said:

I always wanted to ask. Does goty Awards from various publications boosts game sales? Or is it more prestige thing for developers?

It literally started as a way for publications to have enough content to fill the late-December/early-January window, which is traditionally a barren and scant time for game releases and other news.

Indirectly, game development/publishing organizations can use Game of the Year honors to re-market their products. And I'm sure that trickles down to some sort of uptick in holiday and post-holiday sales.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgaras1103 said:

I hope that GOTY discussions mean a few more sales, slightly longer tail for hidden gems that the audience may have missed earlier in the year. I know I've bought a few games based on Giant Bomb's GOTY content.

Trenox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im pretty sure we will see a top 3 with MgsV, Witcher 3 and Fallout4.I could see anyone of them win and i doubt anything else will be close to this top 3 (unless they end up overthinking it and somehow break this top 3 with mario maker just because.. :P).