the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By the_hiro_abides
No Caption Provided

Okay so Brad might read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on his trip to E3 and back.

I've been meaning to reread the five Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. I've never read And Another Thing...

Anyway, I loved the first three. I found it interesting that Ryan didn't like So Long, And Thanks for All The Fish. I liked the joke where a character was continually tormented by Arthur and was in the first book in one of the most absurd parts.

Anyone read the latest one? I'm also curious if anyone else is in the same boat as Brad being unaware of all the pop culture references that have culminated from this series.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I only liked the first one. The others seem to try to hard. 

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Arabes

I loved the first three when I was a kid, the last ones though, all seemed pretty weak. I don't remember Ryan saying he disliked So long, I thought he said he loved the origianls.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta

I liked all of em myself, I haven't read the 6th yet.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By damswedon

I like Hitchhikers 1 but I'm more of a Dirk Gently guy.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_hiro_abides

@damswedon said:

I read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I've been meaning to read its sequel but I would have start over. Because I don't remember anything that happens.

balrogsbain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By balrogsbain

i would like Brad to read the books and then they all come back and do a 3 hour bombcast / hikecast ?

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By Little_Socrates

@the_hiro_abides said:

Anyway, I loved the first three. I found it interesting that Ryan didn't like So Long, And Thanks for All The Fish. I liked the joke where a character was continually tormented by Arthur and was in the first book in one of the most absurd parts.

That part was actually in the third book, Life, The Universe, And Everything. So Long is still fine IMO, though, while I never actually brought myself to finish Mostly Harmless.

As I never read Mostly Harmless, I certainly have not read Book Six. And I probably never will; there are better and worse books to be read with much more to learn from them.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the_hiro_abides

@Little_Socrates said:

@the_hiro_abides said:

That part was actually in the third book, Life, The Universe, And Everything. So Long is still fine IMO, though, while I never actually brought myself to finish Mostly Harmless.

As I never read Mostly Harmless, I certainly have not read Book Six. And I probably never will; there are better and worse books to be read with much more to learn from them.

You're right, the title of Life, The Universe and Everything slipped from my mind. I knew I meant the third book, oh well. I don't remember anything from So Long, And Thanks for All The Fish and Mostly Harmless.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By wrighteous86

The first three were good, but the last two got a bit too complicated and nonsensical for me. I still have to read that new 6th book, though. Anyone have an opinion on "And Another Thing..."?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Slaker117

Man, I really need to get around to finishing the huge all-in-one I bought a few months back. I had only read the first two previously, re-read those and then stopped.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By DeeGee

As soon as the whole Cricket War thing got introduced was when I go off the books. I finished them all, but the writing becomes almost unbearable around that time. Douglas Adams was a funny, funny man but I wouldn't call him a brilliant writer.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wrighteous86
@Slaker117 said:

Man, I really need to get around to finishing the huge all-in-one I bought a few months back. I had only read the first two previously, re-read those and then stopped.

That's how I first read these books. I've found you can get a bit burnt out on the craziness if you read them all straight through.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By buzz_clik

@damswedon said:

I love the first three HHGTTG books. 4 and 5 are okayyy (the ending to Mostly Harmless is depressing, abrupt, contrived and kinda cool all that once) but I've never read that 6th book, and I'm not really interested in changing that.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is my favourite Douglas Adams book, though. I've read it so many times, and I still thrill to the way all the pieces fit together and all the interesting ideas in it. Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, on the other hand, was a big disappointment.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jeffsekai

If I wanted to read these which books should I order off amazon?

GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GeneralZod37

"And Another Thing..." was pretty bad. Listened to the audio book cuz I had high hopes. Incredibly let down. I mean it wasn't the worst thing ever, but it just wasn't HHGTTG.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai
@Jeffsekai said:

Just buy the one the deluxe edition
Michaelblack18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Michaelblack18

i really hope brad does fully read all of them so he will finally get it all will that be one of the crazy things that happens brad figures out it all from reading this like last year with jeff in the wheel chair that was some hilarious parts and i love the whole series very funny i really need to buy the deluxe edition for myself

Avatar image for somethingclever
SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By SomethingClever

While there are weak points I love all 5 of the real books of the trilogy. I've not read this 6th book, in fact didn't know it existed until it came up on the podcast. I've bought a copy of it but I'm not expecting much from it.

Dirk Gently is great and I enjoy going back to read those books once in a while but I don't quite have the same fondness for them as I do the Guide books.

I don't really have much to add to this conversation, I just thought I would recommend a couple other Adams books worth checking out. The Meaning of Liff (or The Deeper Meaning of Liff, basically the same book but there are a couple of differences) is a quick read but quite humorous. Also Last Chance to See is an interesting read but not funny (nor is it meant to be).

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous

I really like the first one.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jeffsekai

@Mordukai said:

@Jeffsekai said:

Just buy the one the deluxe edition.

If I wanted a soft cover version then what?

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Zippedbinders

I find it kind of interesting that despite owning one of those 5 book collections, I really only read the first three. I got distracted and never finished the fourth. Then I come to find out that the general consensus is exactly that. I absolutely loved those first three though.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By dichemstys

I'm reading the first one right now and it's pretty good.