Jeff Emotional?

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By pbhawks45

Not really sure if I was the only one who got this, but when Jeff was talking about how awesome it was to have "nerds" become accepted in today's culture, he seemed to get a little emotional. I mean, at my high school, this wasn't really the case at all, the jocks vs. the nerds. I played football throughout my days in HS, and probably a third of the team were what you'd call nerds, myself included. Sports and videogames/technology seemed to be most of the guys hobbies. Along with getting laid and stuff.

There wasn't really a hatred between the nerds and the popular kids at my school. Granted, we had the largest graduating class in the nation, but some of the very popular people were some of the smartest in the group, and there was almost a mutual respect for the two groups to the point that there wasn't really even groups, that people would just interact normally.

Must have sucked growing up in the 80's and being a nerd, I guess.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Otacon

I don't think emotional is the term, just glad that there isn't really that gap. Though I think I would disagree.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

He was drunk. Once when I was drunk I got emotional because I needed a pee. OK, I was VERY VERY VERY drunk, and got upset because I didn't think I'd make it to the toilet in time, but still it proves my point that you get emotional when drunk.

Burden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Burden

Interesting perspective, I'm not sure I noticed any emotional movement, but I can see where you're coming from.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By DualReaver
MattyFTM said:
"He was drunk. Once when I was drunk I got emotional because I needed a pee. OK, I was VERY VERY VERY drunk, and got upset because I didn't think I'd make it to the toilet in time, but still it proves my point that you get emotional when drunk."
lol.
When I'm drunk I'm either very sad+horny or very happy+horny.
Hangid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Hangid

Its sounded like he was going to talk about GameSpot but he quickly choose not to. I cant remember where it was in the podcast because they always started to get off-topic. Oh and LMAO @ the phone call part where that girl on the phone (Ryan's GF?) mentioned On the Spot and they all started to go crazy.

DarthMaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By DarthMaul
MattyFTM said:
"He was drunk. Once when I was drunk I got emotional because I needed a pee. OK, I was VERY VERY VERY drunk, and got upset because I didn't think I'd make it to the toilet in time, but still it proves my point that you get emotional when drunk."
XFD. I laughed so hard at this. When I'm drunk I pretty much just become all happy and crazy ^.^
DanCarmichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By DanCarmichael

lol, yeah i noticed it to. Most likely the drink though.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

He had vodka thoughts.

Broman6015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Broman6015

Out of curiosity, what year did you graduate?
pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By pbhawks45

Class of 2007. Currently a sophomore at Texas Christian University and I grew up a little north of Dallas.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By harrisonave
pbhawks45 said:
"Class of 2007. Currently a sophomore at Texas Christian University and I grew up a little north of Dallas.
"

Yeah... that's probably why.  It was a much different time when Jeff was in high school.  Hell, it was different even when I was in high school, and I graduated in 2003! 
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Jeff's emotionalness was partly because he was drunk during the podcast, but I think Jeff is right, it's great to have a place where so many video game nerds can meet up and enjoy themselves. As far as nerds in culture go I found that in my secondary school (I'm English) anyone who didn't follow the mainstream in any way was hated by those who did and I know that this was not just my school either.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Rowr

i dont think he was getting emotional, i think he was just having a hard time articulating his thoughts.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KnifeySpoony

I agree with you Rowr. To be honest I thought Levine was getting more emotional during PAX's keynote than Jeff in the podcast. Oh and you know how they mentioned high tech burrito? Das was me :D.

EndlessMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EndlessMike

He was drunk if that's what you mean. And yeah the alcohol definitely made him sort of soppy.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vilhelmnielsen
ppallo said:
"I was drunk for the first time of my life last saturday and man did I get emotional about everything happy but emotional
"
Congrats, I guess...
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Endogene

I guess times have changed, now every body plays halo and other casual stuff.
But i guess the extremes still exist.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Alexander

Drink only removes inhibition, what you say when you're drunk is what you're thinking - you just don't think twice about saying it.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Alexander said:
"Drink only removes inhibition, what you say when you're drunk is what you're thinking - you just don't think twice about saying it."
Whatever you say sugartits.
Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jigen

Both places I went to school (moved right before HS) things weren't strongly cliquish.  There were groups of people, but it's not like people went around thinking they were the 'nerd' group or 'jock' group.  Most of the groups were pretty small, 3-12 people or so.

It really depends on where you live, if there's big economic differences / racial differences within a single school district, that makes a huge difference.  All the schools I went to were very suburban.

I have a friend who went to Catholic school, and those seemed much more structured, it seemed you weren't allowed to really form strong groups there, no cliques allowed.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By jakob187

I went to school here in my hometown of Waco, Texas.  If you are born and raised in Texas, you quickly learn one thing:  if you aren't a rapper or a jock, you are no one.  Being a gamer or liking comic books or anything like that will make you catch pure hell in high school here.  Things have become a little less that way over the years, thanks to games like Halo and Gears soaking up all the shit-tactular fuckstains that used to tease people for liking stuff like that.  Nonetheless, sure, I guess it's cool that "nerd" isn't a bad thing anymore...that it's actually a cool thing.

Then again...cool ain't what it used to be.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jakob187
Levio91 said:
"jakob187 said:
"I went to school here in my hometown of Waco, Texas.  If you are born and raised in Texas, you quickly learn one thing:  if you aren't a rapper or a jock, you are no one.  Being a gamer or liking comic books or anything like that will make you catch pure hell in high school here.  Things have become a little less that way over the years, thanks to games like Halo and Gears soaking up all the shit-tactular fuckstains that used to tease people for liking stuff like that.  Nonetheless, sure, I guess it's cool that "nerd" isn't a bad thing anymore...that it's actually a cool thing.
Then again...cool ain't what it used to be.
"
omg I live in gatesville I go to waco like every week to play in the chucckee cheese //sad when chuckee cheese is the greatest arcade in your region lawl."
You go to Waco every week to play at Chuck E. Cheese?  Why?  Go to 3126 Franklin Ave. and be introduced to Heaven, sir.  http://www.lansharx.com  That's where I work...and am typing from right now.  = D
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jakob187

See?  Jeff's emotionalist ways have caused something good to happen!  Look forward to meetin' ya one day, sir.  Just don't shoot me in the face.  =  /

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vlademir

That's the same at my school. The smartest kids are generally the most popular.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shadow

In this day and age, if a girl refuses to sleep with a guy because he plays video games, it's her who's going to stay a vergin.  THE TIDES HAVE TURNED MEN, THE TIME IS NOW!

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Player1

I agree. It seemed if someone wouldn't have cut him off, he might have shed a tear. But like someone mentioned above, he was drunk. 

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NinjaHunter

During my high school days, I graduated in 07 so it wasn't that long ago, I was a well known gaming "nerd" and I didn't have any problems with bullying or anything. In fact I became kind of the source video game knowledge around my group of friends.

SteepInKline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SteepInKline

The thing is, at my school, people who play video games are "the fucking dorks," as Jeff put it.

Or, rather, people who play games that aren't Madden, GTA, Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, or Halo are "fucking dorks."

I'm a "fucking dork."

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sionweeks

He was drunk, so he was a little emotional.  I could totally hear it, he was speaking from his heart, about what he absolutely loves.

ToRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ToRo

There's a huge gap over here (north Jersey). And in my opinion games aren't really socially acceptable in the long run. You don't see full grown men talking about the new Calstlevania in public . Or how they beat Gears of War 2 on insane.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LiquidPrince
DualReaver said:
"MattyFTM said:
lol.
When I'm drunk I'm either very sad+horny or very happy+horny."
But then again, you also horny when you're not drunk so it doesn't really matter now does it?

=P