No Bombcast today?

• 44 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Jeff just tweeted an hour ago that in observation of Blackout Tuesday, there will be no content or streams.

No podcast today?

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He said no streams or shows today. I’m guessing we’ll get the Bombcast tomorrow.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Nothing One thing stops the Bombcast

But seriously, good on them for doing this. ❤

Avatar image for drgirlfriendexp
drgirlfriendexp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am very glad the importance of today is being recognized here. Thank you, GB.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I feel bad saying this and I know Giant Bomb's heart is in the right place but between this and that stupid tone deaf 8 minutes and 46 seconds post yesterday, they are getting some bad advice.

"In order to show our support against injustice in this country, for a day, we will do nothing." How is this at all useful? Do another charity stream if you don't feel comfortable doing the usual programming but this is just performative nonsense.

dirkfunk232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dirkfunk232

@milkman said:

I feel bad saying this and I know Giant Bomb's heart is in the right place but between this and that stupid tone deaf 8 minutes and 46 seconds post yesterday, they are getting some bad advice.

"In order to show our support against injustice in this country, for a day, we will do nothing." How is this at all useful? Do another charity stream if you don't feel comfortable doing the usual programming but this is just performative nonsense.

Could not agree more my man. It is a cop out created by big corporations.

It's not what the activsits on the ground want at all. They need info spread, video out, donations, and more than just being quiet.

i know this is a video game site but don't pat yourself on the back for shutting up and not saying anything real. It comes across as more white privilege, especially if you aren't protesting.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Y2Ken
dirkfunk232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dirkfunk232

FYI, where the black out came from was just about the music industry internally, there was nothing larger to it. I'm sure some people love everyone shutting up for a day and ignoring being black. no black person can "black out" for a day.

Again I know there's no harmful intent and I don't mean to be too harsh but it's really a ridiculous way to try to show "support". Its not support.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By colourful_hippie

Idk there's plenty of content to catch up on so if GB wants to take the day off in a sign of solidarity whether it was suggested by corporate or not they can go right ahead. I agree that a big charity stream would be nice but everyone has their own way of showing support. Maybe they can also do a charity stream later in the week too.

@milkman: What post are you referring to? I must have missed it.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BBAlpert

@milkman: You're not wrong, IMO. Them taking more action on this would almost certainly be more helpful than going quiet for the day. And I do hope they do just that after today.

That being said, I'm happy they at least made this (comparatively) small gesture instead of wholesale pretending that nothing is wrong. I think it will come down to what they do with their platform going forward. If this is ALL they do, I'm with you that it'd be more than a little disappointing.

I trust the crew to do what they can to help, and honestly I'm grateful to see community members like you pushing for even more.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah, with nothing on the site to say why there is no content today, I'd just assume it was a public holiday in the US today. Came to the forum to check.

This forum post is the first I've heard about this "Blackout Tuesday", and I'm sure people who just have the RSS feed in their podcast player won't notice there isn't a podcast dropping today.

A podcast explaining why there is no podcast and a text post on the home page pointing to a call to action would probably help, at least international viewers, understand and increase awareness.

There will be an article soon.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By onlineatron

@dirkfunk232: @milkman: Totally agree with all of this, their response has been weak and the blackout schtick is corporate liberal nonsense.

Jeff B said nothing until tweeting out a call to vote (pointless) and links to CNET which contained further links to ViacomCBS properties – despite CBS having allowed the LAPD use of their TV lot to equip officers and detain protestors.

Vinny stuck to his usual “people who know more than me” line, tweeting out one resource and going quiet.

It’s not good enough. They have HUGE platforms, they could be saying more, doing more, retweeting more voices, more videos of police violence, more resources for protestors and links to donation funds.

I never expect the world from these folks when it comes to political issues but god this has been disappointing.

Edit: I stand by this but I want to say that I love Giant Bomb, I love the whole crew and I respect that this is a difficult time and there will be mistakes. I want to push them to consider more points of view and cover more ground with their support but I understand they have other commitments that might get in the way. That said, we all need to consider our failings and do better every day, and it’s important that people with large followings are held to account.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@lanerobertlane: Yeah overall this could be messaged better. Posting an all black picture on Instagram is still posting something, and gets people’s attention, and you could explain the point of the pic with a caption linking to ways you can support the current protests or whatever.

Posting no podcast and no streams on GB is just an absence of anything, and also an absence of an explanation. As you point out, no explanation for podcast-only listeners, no article on the site or forums or banner on the homepage. You have to scroll to the staff tweets section of the homepage to see Jeff mention it, and who knows how long that will be there before getting bumped off by some other tweets.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

Is this the first time they have ever missed a Bombcast? I think historically they’ve always posted on Tuesday? It’s quite a run.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mellotronrules
@milkman said:

yeah- i think the gb heart is pretty definitively in the right place, but the 'blackout' thing just feels like the product of corporate opportunism- obviously it didn't come from gb, but action will always speak louder than inaction. especially when you read about how the BLM hashtag has been co-opted and is creating a really bad signal-to-noise problem.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As mentioned above, there'll be an article shortly.

eag67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eag67

Ok so im torn on this on one hand GB has been giving us content daily with streams and shows durring the lockdown they have gone beyond what i would expect so taking a break for a day from shows and streaming isnt in itself a bad thing even though there doing it for difference reasons. On the other hand they have also been place to go through this pandemic especially since in my case i havent worked in over 2 months due to the pandemic. And while i know they have good intentions and i support the cause. I think there are better ways of showing it .

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Milkman

@rorie: just want you to know that any criticism I've expressed really does come from a place of love. I know most of these decisions probably come from people who don't even work at GB and I'm sorry that you especially have had to deal with the backlash from all this. All of this obviously isn't in your or anyone else at Giant Bomb's job description and it shouldn't have to be but I feel like I do need to be honest about this stuff.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Please please please be specific in the post, highlight the cause and mention police brutality. I’ve seen too many posts from companies that dance around this and it helps nobody.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys, you are awesome

Ohsnapkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ohsnapkins

@milkman: it's to force people to confront a serious situation. Escapism and looking away is how we got here.

You are literally who MLK was talking about as the true biggest opponent to progress, the apathetic person who prefers an unjust peace over a just cause.

Edit: leaving this up, but if the person above is sincere in advocating to support George floyd then I misread and good on them.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ohsnapkins: Milkman's posts seem to be saying that GB should be doing more, that these 8 minutes/blackout posts are not confrontational enough. And I agree with that.

dirkfunk232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dirkfunk232

@ohsnapkins: before you type out a response that long maybe read the post you're replying to man.

What you're describing is exactly what posting a black square and saying nothing says.

dirkfunk232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good write up by Brad on the front page.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By onlineatron

The post is up: https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/a-note-on-todays-bombcast-and-other-content/1100-6006/

Seems to be pretty on point.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seeing a fat ass BLACK LIVES MATTER on the homepage of Giant Bomb sure fucking whips ass. never really expected to see that. it feels like an emergency release valve in the back of my brain just opened up. thank you.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie read the article, thanks for gettin in here and letting us know it was coming!

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Thank you Brad for posting that article. It was a great writeup and I appreciate all of the different donation links posted for the community to lend their aid.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about do something that actually takes some effort on your part? I have problems with the shit that spawns from BLM, but if you personally care about it so much as to piss on Ryan's #1 rule, then do something that's actually difficult for you.

Stream yourself protesting on the streets, do challenges for donations, don't put food in your mouth for a few days as a sign of mourning. SOMETHING other than this lazy shit that can only inspire an eye roll from all sides and perspectives.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 FinalDasa  Moderator

@aegon: There was a stream yesterday raising funds for BLM. There's a post on the front page with several links to several charities and causes.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll say this: I would find it much more respectable if Jeff and crew would talk directly about how Black lives matter, their real thoughts on what's happening, even Abby's take that NYPD are White Supremacists....

If you put that on stream, it would be much more respectable.

A tweet means nothing to me. It's not brave. It's not beautiful.

BeyondStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BeyondStrange

@aegon: One can argue that not having a podcast and breaking their one rule is a significant action to bring attention to the issue. And saying it is “pissing over Ryan’s #1 rule” is pretty heartless and cruel. Both Jeff and Vinny dogmatically have followed that rule with both podcasts even when it was forgivable to not have a podcast that Tuesday or Friday.

I think criticism of the decision is fair, but I think context is also important. It is more than just they aren’t making content today; they are doing the one thing they said they would never do and missing a bombcast when they said they never would. That is more than just doing nothing.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: One can argue that not having a podcast and breaking their one rule is a significant action to bring attention to the issue. And saying it is “pissing over Ryan’s #1 rule” is pretty heartless and cruel. Both Jeff and Vinny dogmatically have followed that rule with both podcasts even when it was forgivable to not have a podcast that Tuesday or Friday.

I think criticism of the decision is fair, but I think context is also important. It is more than just they aren’t making content today; they are doing the one thing they said they would never do and missing a bombcast when they said they never would. That is more than just doing nothing.

Not streaming is easier than streaming.

I'm not going to assume they were in love with that rule to begin with.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As Austin Walker would say, some real “bad takes” in this thread.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

piss on Ryan's #1 rule

Ryan was not your friend or colleague. How dare you chastise those who knew and loved him by using his memory against them. Fucking despicable.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The heart is in the right place with intentions, but man, this idea of blacking out content as a form of activism is.....weird.

Yes, it encourages people to pause and pay attention to the tragedies going on, but feels like kind of a half-step, (just me venting about the movement in general, not at GB specifically)

But the article i think goes a long way or is rather a much better look, as it explains what's up and what people can do to support

as man Im sorry, that 8 mins 46 second thing of silence on twitter was kind of hokey,

Bunnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bunnyman

I support GBs decision.

To no surprise, many people now seem to know the best way to deal with this situation. I don't think they do. I sure don't. I don't think GB does either. I think we have stick together.

Stay safe all.

dirkfunk232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dirkfunk232

@aegon: you're telling ACTUAL friends of Ryan they are pissing on him? quiet down man, so weird. Such odd behavior and insenstive.

You are way out of your element. shocked you don't like BLM tho man, didn't see that coming (sarcasm).

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: I got the impression that Ryan would break his rule for this and call someone making a stink about it a real fucker.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good on you guys for showing your support and for the well written article. As much as we all love video games and seeing/listening to your content, in the end, it is just video games.

dirkfunk232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dirkfunk232

@shindig said:

Policing needs to change, attitudes towards police needs to change and it's a problem that needs to be dealt with at both ends.

Roofer is a moire dangerous job. Don't both sides this man while protestors are being tear gassed, beaten, the press attacked, black people belittled and murdered even if they aren't at a protest. Gross.