#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I've three very specific augmentations in mind for myself.

• To add photosynthesis to my organism, as well as imperviousness to weather conditions, turning me into a fully autarchic greenskin survivalist living on sunlight and air moisture - in the flippin' nude. Talk about moring wood. Organic augmentation achieved with gene-therapy/splicing.
  • Transfer my mind into a songbird-sized angelic shaped mechanical body (human with wings). Capable of unlimited personal flight. Powered by a nuclear battery/revolutionary miniature nuclear reactor. Full-blown conversion from organic to pure cybernetic/robotic being.
  • Realistically, I'd be happy with a new set of legs (or at least knees) - mine are kinda busted, because of a sports injury in my late teens - that'd be real swell.

What about you guys?

#2 Edited by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

It'd be nice to be able to sit still for 5 minutes.

#3 Posted by Gmanall (1683 posts) -

I'd like nanobots that would erase memory's safely, Watch a good movie, forget, repeat.

Also anything that makes me look like Raiden.

#4 Posted by TechHits (1378 posts) -

dontsaypenisdontsaypenisdontsaypenisdontsaypenis

...I got nothing

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

The future of transhumanism is genetic rather than cybernetic. It's not about putting microchips in your body, it's about writing custom genes. Cracking the coding language of organic life. You want to live forever, wait until we can create genes that don't shorten as they copy themselves. Want blue hair? Wait til we can print genes that inform the body to naturally produce blue pheomelanin. Rather than just affixing metal to your spine, genes designed with the instructions to create bones as dense as steel. More efficient hemoglobin. Eyes as advanced as the osprey.

#6 Posted by Village_Guy (2577 posts) -

I want titanium bones, reinforced spine, cybernetic vital organs, improved eyes, wings, and a robotic left leg...

#7 Edited by Ares42 (2663 posts) -

I'd probably go the Shadowrun route and do something systemic like augmenting the nervous system or other glandular augments for enhanced bodily functions.

#8 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Spine, shoulders, elbows and knees.

I'd like to be a contortionist without the effort.

#9 Edited by psylah (2177 posts) -

Dope-ass wings

Bitchin robot arms and legs

I'd keep my torso and head, but I want a fresh Geordi LaForge visor.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14826 posts) -

Gimme what Raiden has in Metal Gear Solid Rising. Specifically THAT and not his Metal Gear Solid 4 version. Having to use dialysis on your blood every few days or whatever would be awful but the cyborg body he is using in Rising seems to be self sustaining on its own.

#11 Edited by datarez (552 posts) -

I would pretty much take it all but this shit is going to be so expensive. Plus the maintenance costs.

#12 Edited by Capum15 (4900 posts) -

At least one cybernetic eye. Both would be cool. Well, if you were able to turn off any HUD elements at will.

Increased memory capacity / better memory would be nice too.

And then of course just upgrades to various organs. Heart, lungs, etc. Just overall better. But the eye and memory thing would be awesome.

#13 Edited by MattGrant (122 posts) -

No, but not for any moral reason. So long as we don't fly too close to the sun, I couldn't care less how high we fly. The only reason I wouldn't agree to cybernetics, aside from the cost, is the vulnerability it would create in the face of the pervasive engineering of malicious software. The idea that I could lose my eye sight or motor functions because some asshole thought it would be funny to fuck with me? No thanks. Cyber security would have to become far more reliable were I ever to consider modification.

Now, biological/anatomical modifications? Make my eyes purple and give me a voice like Steve Tyler? Hellllll yeah.

#14 Posted by SnakeLinkSonic (273 posts) -

Brain mods, ASAP.

#15 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

I'd be happy with augmenting my penis off at this point

#16 Edited by NyxFe (248 posts) -

I would take want a Ghost In The Shell style synthetic body a la Major Kusanagi.

I would take pretty much any cybernetic enhancement bar some sort of horrendous security or health risks. Bring on the cyberpunk dystopia/

#17 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I'd like to defeat entropy and live forever.

The future of transhumanism is genetic rather than cybernetic. It's not about putting microchips in your body, it's about writing custom genes. Cracking the coding language of organic life. You want to live forever, wait until we can create genes that don't shorten as they copy themselves. Want blue hair? Wait til we can print genes that inform the body to naturally produce blue pheomelanin. Rather than just affixing metal to your spine, genes designed with the instructions to create bones as dense as steel. More efficient hemoglobin. Eyes as advanced as the osprey.

Transhumanism is amazing. Every new articleI read about it explodes my mind a little more than last time. Got my fingers crossed that modifying humans for the better will gain mainstream appeal sometime during my lifetime.

#18 Posted by Butler (384 posts) -

I think it is an awesome concept. I would grow some horns and have some cool color shifting tattoos. I already have superpowers so I don't need much more than aesthetic upgrades. Other than that the technology is super scary. No neural implants for me. I don't want ads in my brain.

#19 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2007 posts) -

Let me genetically engineer eyeballs that aren't fucked, please. Yay for double astigmatisms and being shortsighted. At least I don't have colorblindness on top of that, I guess.

#20 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4604 posts) -

@techhits said:

dontsaypenisdontsaypenisdontsaypenisdontsaypenis

Oh man you have no idea. Fucking Swiss Army knife of sex toys down there, I'd be all over that shit.

#21 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Robot Arm, nothing special.

#22 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5007 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

Gimme what Raiden has in Metal Gear Solid Rising. Specifically THAT and not his Metal Gear Solid 4 version. Having to use dialysis on your blood every few days or whatever would be awful but the cyborg body he is using in Rising seems to be self sustaining on its own.

Yep, Raiden looks super cool. Although I would like to have a dick, augmented or normal, doesn't matter just let me have something.

#23 Edited by believer258 (11905 posts) -

The only way I would do this is if I were guaranteed to not have my computer bits connected to the internet. Partly because of ads, but also because I don't want some asshole making a robotic arm virus that forces you to do things that you don't want to.

#24 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1851 posts) -

I'd be happy with just having a cyberbrain that I could move from prosthetic host body to prosthetic host body like in Ghost in the Shell. To no longer be locked in the body I was born with and to have the freedom to express myself physically in a way of my choosing is the ideal form of posthumanism for me. If I'm not happy with it, I can just change it again, with enough money. Keep the spares around to cycle through like my favorite outfits.

New eyeballs would be great, so I can see. New arms that don't have tendonitis. A lower back that isn't completely fucked from years of horrible posture.

#25 Posted by Kaiserreich (699 posts) -

Head, shoulders, knees, and toes

#26 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Everything. I won't be satisfied until science can digitize my consciousnesses and upload it directly into the internet, and have the ability to stream it out to a robot avatar when I need to interact with the physical world.

#27 Posted by Catarrhal (833 posts) -

How 'bout the power to kill a yak from two hundred yards away… with mind bullets?

But seriously, Ray Kurzweil is an asshole.

I would choose death over transhumanism.

#28 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

How 'bout the power to kill a yak from two hundred yards away… with mind bullets?

As if you'll have a choice. You'll die in the first wave of The Great Cyborg Rebellions.

#29 Edited by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -

I want to be able to eat incredibly unhealthy food, all day every day if I wish, and still be of average weight and in good health. So cyberstomach? Or something? I guess cyberpancreas as well, just to be safe.

Basically I just want a way to to eat all the really enjoyable foods until the end of time, without having to constantly think about diabetes or heart attacks or whatever. And hopefully a way so I don't have to exercise too.

I never want to see lettuce again.

#30 Posted by theveej (831 posts) -

I would like improve knees also (mb some sick ligaments), I'll take some sort of eye surgery to fix my vision + night vision + HUD. That's about it, mb some secret knives ala wolverine.

#31 Posted by Daveyo520 (6752 posts) -

Maybe robot eyes so I don't need glasses and I guess I could have a HUD thing or something.

#32 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

All I would really want is immortality. If that meant transferring my mind into a full android at some point, then I'd go for that. Right now just being in a normal, healthy body is fine. Although I wish it was a little easier to cut weight. Need to lose another thirty lbs and it's killing me.

#33 Edited by Hunter5024 (5683 posts) -

Cyber teeth.

#34 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Replace my legs with tank treads.

#35 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

My stomach, because disease yo.

After that, probably cyber eyes with a HUD. It'd be all Watch Dogs up in hurr.

#36 Edited by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Without boring everyone, I was born with a really shitty body and the fact that I am extremely handsome doesn't make up for it enough so I'd replace a lot. Also retractable spider-legs coming out of my back just for funsies.

#37 Edited by troll93 (388 posts) -

@soapy86 said:

@catarrhal said:

As if you'll have a choice. You'll die in the first wave of The Great Cyborg Rebellions.

Wrong, you all will be the first to perish at the hands of my pro-human militia, and it shall be called...... The Resistance gug-gug-gugguga

#38 Edited by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Metal skeleton and synthetic organs, cybernetically enhanced brain, pretty much the works, but I wouldn't want any of it to show externally. Changing the colour of my eyes at will would be cool though.

#39 Posted by medacris (660 posts) -

I'd only augment parts of my body that were failing. I'd leave anything still healthy alone.

From the looks of things, though, that'll probably mean I'll be completely robotic at some point.