AdChoice - Fake Download links?

mobius006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Didn't click, and I know its not Giantbombs style.. But these ads shouldn't be here right?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

How are you seeing ads if you are a gold subscriber? Also, I think @rorie will take stuff like that down if you notify him.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ben_H

If you are on Windows you should probably do some adware/malware/virus scans and check your plugins for your browser. That looks like some ad injection mumbo jumbo.

Unless you weren't logged in of course. Then yeah that seems weird and unlike them to have ads like that.

But really, if you were logged in when you saw that you should probably do some scanning. That looks like a sketchy injected ad.

Relevant reading:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2013/06/20/ad-injection-and-you-how-adware-gets-on-your-computer.aspx

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

This is probably not an injected ad, but rather something being served up by a shady ad partner. I'll see what I can do about it. I've clicked on them before and as far as I can tell they're more likely to have you wind up with an ask.com toolbar than any malware, but I still fucking hate them.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@mobius006: And also, yes, you shouldn't be seeing ads as a premium yearly member. Are those there when you're logged in?

mobius006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Hey,

I was logged out at the time. Cookie expired I guess.

I signed in to post, and of course ads went away.

Thanks for being on top of it!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Hey,

I was logged out at the time. Cookie expired I guess.

I signed in to post, and of course ads went away.

Thanks for being on top of it!

Ah, so it was just sketchy ads then, nothing (even more) nefarious. Good to hear.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I get these as well, and I have no idea why. I don't visit any weird websites or download any weird things. I've even totally reinstalled windows and reformatted, and I still get them here, and on other sites. Really annoying.

mobius006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya, this PC is hooked up to my TV for just GB/Tested/Verge etc site videos and light gaming. Running spybot to check anyways.

In an incognito window couldn't get the ad to pop back up, but the 'centipede+titanfall' in browser game ad is surprisingly solid!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ben_H

@steadyingmeat said:

I get these as well, and I have no idea why. I don't visit any weird websites or download any weird things. I've even totally reinstalled windows and reformatted, and I still get them here, and on other sites. Really annoying.

Lots of internet (and otherwise) ad companies/customers of ad companies are compromised of really grimy people whose sole goal is to trick people into clicking buttons (since many ads, and the revenue associated with them, are based on clicks, not just views) so they do this kind of stuff (putting what looks like download buttons in ads to trick less internet-savvy people into clicking them). These types of ads often slip through due to sheer volume, especially when it comes to Google-served ads, which are what a significant number of sites use (Google is first and foremost an advertising company after all, that's where they make a lot of their money).

Edit: for those wondering why I suggested to check your extensions, this is why:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/malware-vendors-buy-chrome-extensions-to-send-adware-filled-updates/