Html5 video streaming in firefox (39.0)

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've read that the giantbomb videos have an issue with firefox and h264 codecs with html5 or something of the like; but I was wondering if any of you had a work around to get the videos working on giantbomb in firefox with html5.

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ev77

So I've investigated a little further and it seems the issue might be around this part of the html:

<div id="js-vid-html5-player20641386">

<video id="uvpHi5" width="100%" height="100%" poster="/bundles/phoenixsite/images/core/loose/clear.gif">

<source src="http://vidtech.cbsinteractive.com/h5/blanks/uvp_blank.mp4"></source>

</video>

</div>

</div>

So basically after I hit play the source just goes to this blank looping video. Furthermore, I can replace the src to a proper video (i.e. http://v.giantbomb.com/2015/07/31/vf_tembothebadasselephant_ql_07312015_4000.mp4) and it will still not work for me. BUT if I remove the poster from the video line I can then see the video, show controls and play the video just fine. So it seems mozilla works just fine with html5 and your videos, granted the player is given the right video to play.

edit: I should also note that the pause/play, and quality buttons don't work after I do this (quality turns to the "can't select right now" image).

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same issue here, so I can confirm

Firefox 39, html 5 videos does exactly what OP describes.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on FireFox 39 as well and the HTML videos do play. Unfortunately after about 30 seconds of perfectly fine performance they start stuttering badly/skipping frames but it's only the video, audio is perfectly fine.

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I've looked further into it. And by further I mean I refreshed firefox, found the video worked (after installing all my default add-ons), and then went through my firefox profile folder file by file figuring out where things broke.

Turns out the issue has to do with cookies and/or the sessionstore.js file in your firefox profiles folder (they accomplish around the same purpose). You can try deleting all your cookies and then going back to the page and see if that fixes it. If not, go to your profile folder (Can be accessed by going clicking: firefox menu -> (?) -> Troubleshooting Information and then click on the "Show Folder" button next to Profile folder) and from there just delete the 'sessionstore.js' file and the folder called 'sessionstore-backups'. That should do it, if not "Refreshing Firefox" might do the trick for you like it did for me.

Sadly, I have no advice for you gravytrain.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Firefox sucks really bad for html5 video playback it seems... I have the exact same problem as gravytrain, they play but keep stuttering in this very weird manner where the playback will slowly start to get slower then it'll stutter, but the sound continues on like nothing happened.

Must have been some recent update because I remember watching them without any problems at some point, and it's definitely a FF problem because on youtube trying to watch videos at 1080p/60 FPS completely craps it out too while the same videos work flawlessly on chrome.

And this scared the crap out of me too because it started happening at the same time I was getting some graphics driver related crashes on the event viewer and it made me think that my GTX 980 was dying, but that turned out to be just bad drivers thank god.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gravytrain

@ev77: Yeah I did the 'Refresh Firefox' earlier this week and performance is actually worse. I'll try what you've done as well, thanks!

@onarum: Yeah it worked fine in Firefox before, not sure what's been up lately.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@gravytrain: @onarum:ya, it's a super huge bummer. FF is terrible with html5 video, not really sure what to say. I use chrome.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By hassun

I'm not sure FF is necessarily that bad with html5. I mean YT works fine and they switched to html5 a while ago.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@hassun: Depends on OS, CPU and GPU as well. I've never had great luck, but that's just my personal experience. For some people maybe it works better than anything.