"Latest" videos is now Oldest Videos

katelyngadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

When I click "latest" under videos on the navigation bar, it takes me to https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/ (which I think is where it always went before?) but it now shows me the Oldest Videos, starting with the very first oldest video on the website. If I click the >> at the bottom to go to the last page, it shows the latest videos. Seems like this is the opposite of how it's supposed to work, and I don't remember this being the case a couple days ago.

JerKnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JerKnuts
bigmini77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same thing with the podcasts as well, latest are on page 59

Silan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a software developer myself, i love this silly little bug, hope one of the engineers have a fun explanation.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Can confirm, all videos and podcast are being sorted with the oldest videos coming up first.

alpha_bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just like video feed, it's probably a literal single line of code or toggle in their CMS that somehow reconfigured. Probably will be gone soon.

Corvinehoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems partially fixed but not completely fixed. The newest and oldest videos are in the right place, but a lot of stuff in the middle is jumbled up. Like, the videos on page 100 are from 2011 and the videos on page 200 are from 2018.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This seems partially fixed but not completely fixed. The newest and oldest videos are in the right place, but a lot of stuff in the middle is jumbled up. Like, the videos on page 100 are from 2011 and the videos on page 200 are from 2018.

Yeah, this is happening for me.

TarHeels2302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, for me it seems like the videos are grouped by series? Like page 65 is all mailbags.

svengoolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. So I've been watching everything from the beginning and found this very disheartening glitch tonight. I was on page 312 but now I'm on 340-something and it's only trailers. All the series are gone. Please fix this!

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. So I've been watching everything from the beginning and found this very disheartening glitch tonight. I was on page 312 but now I'm on 340-something and it's only trailers. All the series are gone. Please fix this!

Thank you for making me feel less like a crazy person. I've been re-watching all the videos from the beginning, on the side, and I was up to 2012. This bug has totally stymied me in doing that now. Love to see it fixed so that I can keep going.

TarHeels2302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10 said:
@svengoolie said:

Thank you for making me feel less like a crazy person. I've been re-watching all the videos from the beginning, on the side, and I was up to 2012. This bug has totally stymied me in doing that now. Love to see it fixed so that I can keep going.

I'm in the same boat, came to the site a few years after it started and am up to 2018. Love this community!

time_cop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to bump this because I'm also watching older content. I was on approximately page 100 and now it's all jumbled up and I have no idea where I am. Please fix this if you can! Thanks

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@time_cop said:

Just wanted to bump this because I'm also watching older content. I was on approximately page 100 and now it's all jumbled up and I have no idea where I am. Please fix this if you can! Thanks

I believe this has been resolved now, but are you still seeing it reversed?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BisonHero

@rorie said:
@time_cop said:

I believe this has been resolved now, but are you still seeing it reversed?

Latest is no longer reversed, but it's still not in the right order. It looks correct on the first couple pages of Latest, but the chronological order is still very jumbled. I browsed around a bit, and here is what Page 19 of Latest looks like:

Feb 2020, Jan 2020, Jul 2018, Oct 2018, Aug 2019, Feb 2020. There seems to be a bunch of Party of One in a row, but even the Feb 2020 videos are in a crazy order
Feb 2020, Jan 2020, Jul 2018, Oct 2018, Aug 2019, Feb 2020. There seems to be a bunch of Party of One in a row, but even the Feb 2020 videos are in a crazy order

These problems are not unique to Page 19, but the engineers might have to browse around a bit to see more examples (if you go to about Page 33 and 34 of Latest, one second it's 2019 videos, then suddenly becomes Dota videos from various years, then becomes all the E3 videos Giant Bomb has ever made since 2009 in a strange order). I don't see any rhyme or reason to why some of the videos are mis-sorted, so I'm guessing it pertains to tags and fields that only staff can see.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bisonhero: Ah, ok, thanks, I'll have to file a ticket to see if someone can look into all this. Hopefully it's figure out able.

time_cop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

@bisonhero: Ah, ok, thanks, I'll have to file a ticket to see if someone can look into all this. Hopefully it's figure out able.

No Caption Provided

Here's another example, this is page 148 of videos sorted by "latest". And then page 100, which should be more recent, is all videos from 2011. Something's still jumbling it all up.

Thanks for looking into it Rorie!

svengoolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah everything got sorted by series. Still no fix, really hoping you can figure this out!

time_cop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By time_cop

Yeah everything got sorted by series. Still no fix, really hoping you can figure this out!

That's what I thought too at first, but if you see the screenshot I posted, the videos are alternating between 2014 and 2018 (E3 vids) with no real pattern other than the 2018 vids being from E3.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I hope they figure it out!

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the Latest Videos page I was up to in 2012, there’s still a bunch of the videos in order, like the special one-off videos (Sim Golf) and Spookin with Scoops, but everything else got pulled out (no Quick Looks, TNT).

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Just to bump this to say that the lack of correct ordering (by the publication date used to generate the "x hours ago"/"Mth YY" text under the video in the Latest index) is making itself known on the first page with subtle ordering issues that can move things around enough to make it harder to actually find stuff without going into a show index (because several feeds of the same event are not next to each other in the index). Current listing show: (6 days ago is Oct 16 & that video lists that date when you open it; Mass Alex is also slightly out of order)

Unfinished: Baldur's Gate 3 (10/13/2020)

Oct 14

Giant Bombcast 656: Throw Up Your Bungers

Oct 13

Playdate: Phasmophobia (10/16/2020)

6 days ago

Six Crazy Frights: Ep. 403 - Phasmophobia

Oct 10

Mass Alex: Mass Effect 3 - Part 26 (The Finale)

Oct 9

Best of Giant Bomb: 198 - Paint Me Like Your English Marios

Oct 10

The HotSpot - Episode 382

Oct 9

Page 2 currently:

Quick Look: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Sep 24

Clue Crew: Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull - Part 2

Sep 25

Quick Look: Hades

Sep 23

Quick Look: WWE 2K Battlegrounds

Sep 24

Breaking Brad: Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels VII

Sep 23

Lockdown 2020: Rhythm Hell Fever - Part 9

Sep 23

Mass Alex: Mass Effect 3 - Part 24

Sep 23

Quick Look: NBA 2K21

Sep 23

Giant Bombcast 653: That's Hot Soup!

Sep 22

VinnyVania: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 - Part 03

Sep 25

The HotSpot - Episode 379

Sep 18

Even the very latest are clearly not using the published dates to actually sort with:

The Giant Beastcast: Ep. 283 - The Giant Beastcast

5 hours ago

Quick Look: Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

12 hours ago

Unfinished: Immortals Fenyx Rising 10/22/2020

9 hours ago

svengoolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soooo are yall ever fixing this or

joms5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soooo are yall ever fixing this or

I would like to know the same thing. I haven't been able to find the next video in the series I have been watching for weeks now. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Can someone give us an update?

TarHeels2302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using the advanced search feature under the video drop down and using that to still go in order. Not a perfect fix but has been helping me in the meantime, if you happen to know what date you left off of you can do that.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarheels2302:

This is a pretty decent workaround. Thanks for the tip.

lcompx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lcompx

@tarheels2302: This isn't working for me. On page 100 for example, I get Game of The Year videos from 2014, Quick Looks from 2017 and Daily Dota from 2013. I get the same thing with the Super Advanced Search.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BisonHero

@lcompx: How are you using the advanced search? If you just pull up Advanced Search, and search for every video ever, then yes, the same problem seems to occur when trying to sort the entire Giant Bomb video catalogue.

But if I'm understanding the suggestion from @tarheels2302, they meant "use Advanced Search and pick a much smaller range." Don't search the entire video library of Giant Bomb.

For example, I searched for all videos from Feb 1 to Feb 29 2020. This range of videos is screwed up on the Latest Videos, but this range of videos seems to work correctly on Advanced Search. Some of the videos are jumbled around, but at least it's only showing February 2020 videos, and isn't pulling in random videos from 2019 and earlier. There are definitely no videos from outside the date range I specified, and hopefully it isn't missing any videos from that range, but it looks about right.

So don't do an advanced search that returns thousands of results. Narrow your search to something more specific. If you are trying to watch a specific period of the GB archive, try to remember what the date was and just search a month or two at a time. I can't promise this works, maybe the metadata in newer videos is more correct than older videos, but I tried a few months from this year and they all seemed to work.

TarHeels2302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lcompx: How are you using the advanced search? If you just pull up Advanced Search, and search for every video ever, then yes, the same problem seems to occur when trying to sort the entire Giant Bomb video catalogue.

But if I'm understanding the suggestion from @tarheels2302, they meant "use Advanced Search and pick a much smaller range." Don't search the entire video library of Giant Bomb.

For example, I searched for all videos from Feb 1 to Feb 29 2020. This range of videos is screwed up on the Latest Videos, but this range of videos seems to work correctly on Advanced Search. Some of the videos are jumbled around, but at least it's only showing February 2020 videos, and isn't pulling in random videos from 2019 and earlier. There are definitely no videos from outside the date range I specified, and hopefully it isn't missing any videos from that range, but it looks about right.

So don't do an advanced search that returns thousands of results. Narrow your search to something more specific. If you are trying to watch a specific period of the GB archive, try to remember what the date was and just search a month or two at a time. I can't promise this works, maybe the metadata in newer videos is more correct than older videos, but I tried a few months from this year and they all seemed to work.

@bisonhero: Yes, I'm searching for a specific date and going day by day.

rcoletea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else seeing a missing "Another PlayStation 5 Unboxing" [Oct. 27 2020] in the Latest page (not next to the Astro's Playroom QL but also, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page of videos, there is a missing gap as if the query knew it had collected enough with that video but isn't displaying it)? [I cut out the full lines of videos in between the top and bottom of the first page as I currently see them & made the split clear with a yellow line.]

No Caption Provided

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa: Yeah, PS5 unboxing is not on Latest. I mean, it's probably missorted in there somewhere, but it'll be on page 73 or 104, along with a bunch of assorted Ranking of Fighters or Game Tapes or something. The blank spot in the lower right of each page of Latest is actually on all pages now (not sure when that started), so hard to say whether that is related.

Right now the PS5 unboxing video is only obviously findable on the front page (or if you use an RSS feed), or if you go out of your way to do an Advanced Search where you specify videos from the past few days of October 2020.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ye, missing last entry is probably unrelated & just something I'd not noticed before.

Other unboxing (Xbox X|S) also not sorting to the correct place in Latest too. Probably not that helpful for us to list every time something goes missing or the order breaks as it seems to be happening enough that it's not just a few stray entries that need their database values tweaked (and obviously the engineering team there have major disruptions from ownership changeover that reduce bandwidth for debugging attempts).

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of curious what backend change broke this.