Mobile videos not working

calcarrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So in the last couple of days I've been having real trouble watching videos on mobile (and indeed in HTML5 format on a laptop as well). Trying to load videos in iOS Safari, on both an iPhone and iPad, have had no success, while trying to use the iOS Video Buddy app just results in videos that pause automatically every few seconds while the wifi icon goes crazy. Speedtest tells me I'm getting about 25mb/s internet speed, and all other videos and streams I watch have been absolutely fine, so I wonder if it is something on Giant Bomb's end? Happy to be wrong, but it's kinda aggravating!

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By jslack

Mobile videos are working for others. Do you have adblock on your phone? What phone/os/browser?

calcarrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1 using Safari, and an iPad 2 using the same iOS version and browser- no Adblock on either. Laptop is MacBook running El Capitan 10.11.2, using Safari with Adblock disabled for all giantbomb.com pages. Video Buddy is on both mobile devices. Appreciate the reply!

calcarrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Small update- things improved when quality is set to High, not HD (videos actually loading, and not stuttering), so it probably is something at my end- it's only weird because HD was fine until a couple of days ago.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@calcarrington: Interesting, thanks for testing. Now I'm curious if it's related to a specific video file. Can you try other videos as well?

calcarrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried multiple videos from the last few days (Phantasmagoria Playdate, Homeworld Quick Look, Firewatch vid), and same result- also High is no longer working well for HTML5, as it is stuttering badly. Interestingly, the video option Streaming is working fine, which seems kinda backwards to me? The last thing I watched that was fine was the Heroes Reborn Quick Look, if that's any use to know. It all started on Wednesday, so I'm just going to blame Vinny's animated thumbnail on the Phantasmagoria Playdate :P

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@calcarrington: Thanks for the information, really helps. Looking into this. Also, Vinny is an innocent angel.

calcarrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: Thanks for all your help, the support provided is just another reason I love this site! I feel innocent may not be the word to describe Vinny after that particular Playdate, but angelic he certainly is.

calcarrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: Another update- now it seems all video playback options except YouTube are not working. Tagging @edgework on Rorie's advice.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

calcarrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: wifi- sent IP address and stuff to edgework. Seems better on Chrome on laptop and iOS, so maybe a Safari thing?

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

calcarrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: just letting you know it seems much improved at the moment- been fine over the weekend and today. Super weird, but I'm just glad the videos work! Many thanks, I'm super appreciative of all the work you and others have done to help.