Tonight I finally S-Ranked Dark Souls on all 3 platforms!

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

As of tonight, juuuust before midnight, I have S-Ranked Dark Souls on the PC, PS3, and the Xbox 360. It took a long time. And I died many times, but here is the proof. Note that I have the Games for Windows Live version for PC....so it is, in effect, recorded twice. You need only look at the dates for the unlocks to see the proof...I S-Ranked it on the 360 first back in 2012, I S-Ranked it on the PC in early 2013, and on the PS3 this evening.

No Caption Provided

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Chill out man, DS2 in a few months.

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By INV2

Well, I mean, it's done now. So, yes, going to take a break from Dark Souls...until Dark Souls 2 arrives. Just really wanted to do this. PS3 version was the most difficult, the controller is shit...but maybe its just me.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Your insane.....ly awesome; but mostly insane!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

ok now do an all-platforms all-achievements speedrun

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good on you. I can't find the motivation to even S-rank it on the one copy I have. I love the game and have beat it multiple times, I just don't care to grind out a ton of chunks and what not to get all the weapon upgrades.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By alternate

I love how you keep stressing proof as if anyone really cared :)

Well done, have a medal

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, the first question in my head is: Why?

My next question is: Which version was the best one?

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I s-ranked demon's souls once and dark souls twice (pc and xbox). Now i'm tempted to get the ps3 version.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well done. Just in time for DS2!

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By INV2

The PS3 version was the worst because the controller sucks all ass. For real, it's a cheap piece of shit. On top of that, I also have a Japanese version, so the "confirm" button is on the right, and the "cancel" button on the left. Roll is on the left..it's not cool when you use the 360 controller so often.

The PC is the absolute best platform, just install DSfix for the 1080p resolution. The game runs so much smoother, especially in troublesome areas like Blighttown and the New Londo Ruins...those places have just awful framerate drop. Plus the 360 controller support is built-in.

EDIT: Thanks for the medal, although a Sunlight Medal would be more apropos.
EDIT: Apropos looks weird spelled out.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@inv2: PS3 controller is only shit if you have a bad controller. Maybe buy a new one? Also your own fault for having a Japanese version, so its not the games fault. Also, congrats on S-ranking this 3 times. S-ranked this myself about 4 days after it released in the US and felt I dont need to prove my penis is 10 feet long anymore as I moved on to another game that is harder to S-rank.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You crazy person .... thumbs up duder :D

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grats, I only done that on 2!

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inv2 said:

EDIT: Thanks for the medal, although a Sunlight Medal would be more apropos.

No Caption Provided

Zornack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now do a naked sl1 run. That was the most fun I've had with Dark Souls, though I almost gave up at Capra Demon.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ego-boosting and implied fuck-you's; it must be the internet.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maaaan imagine how many real games you could have played in that time.

Just kidding, Dark Souls is a real game. But it's one real game. One really long one. And you beat it 4 times with all the achievements 0__o... Now I feel bad for not even beating it once.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Praise the Sun! \o/

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By INV2

To be clear, this honestly isn't ego boosting, just something I really REALLY wanted to do, and I dd it, and wanted to share, especially now that Vinny is playing through it on streams.

The best run I did was on the PC, beat the game on SL16 (to get STR and DEX high enough for the Uchigatana and/or Lifehunt Scythe). I could probably do SL1, but it would be tedious and horrible. Those guys doing it in videos are ridiculously skilled, they make it look easy, but their timing and dexterity is everything...you can't just Iron Flesh yourself and blast away at everything, those folks are on another level.

---of course, there are no Steam achievements right?! What's another...oh, 80 hours of my life?

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game this gen that deserves that kind of dedication ;)

I platinumed it on PS3 but it was so tedious I don't know how you put yourself through that two more times man. Congrats though.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buneroid said:

The only game this gen that deserves that kind of dedication ;).

So Demon's Souls gets no love?! Personally, while Dark Souls eventually grew on me, I found that Demon's Souls is the better of the two.

Oh well, to each his own.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's some serious dedication. The game is not for me, but it's really cool to see someone get so much out of it. Well done!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By TheHT

Well done! I platinumed Demon's Souls and was well on my way to doing it with Dark Souls, but I fucked up one play through and would've had to do another just to get in to one guild to finish everything and lost all motivation.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now beat it with a dance mat.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

You are a sick, sick man.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcshank said:

@inv2: PS3 controller is only shit if you have a bad controller. Maybe buy a new one? Also your own fault for having a Japanese version, so its not the games fault. Also, congrats on S-ranking this 3 times. S-ranked this myself about 4 days after it released in the US and felt I dont need to prove my penis is 10 feet long anymore as I moved on to another game that is harder to S-rank.

This guy is really mad you called out the PS3 controller haha

Which is an abomination by the way.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By buneroid

@mordukai said:

@buneroid said:

The only game this gen that deserves that kind of dedication ;).

So Demon's Souls gets no love?! Personally, while Dark Souls eventually grew on me, I found that Demon's Souls is the better of the two.

Oh well, to each his own.

Well I still haven't finished Demon's Souls so I don't feel qualified praise it that hard yet I guess. I will finish it someday... It does do some things better than Dark Souls for sure.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

You might be totally awesome, or completely insane. Though Dark Souls is the only game that I could see myself also doing this for.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery ;)

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RonGalaxy

Also, the ps3 controller is WAAAY better for games like this. You people crazy. People talk shit about R2 and L2, but those fucking 360 bumpers? fucking BULLSHIT.

CONSOLE WARS 101 BABEE

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAIL SATAN \o/

No Caption Provided

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you get the Avelyn and the Ghost Blade? Three times? Neither counts towards the Achievement/Trophy, yet in trying to get the Avelyn you'll probably die a few times, and the Ghost Blade is one of the rarest drops in the game.

I've done it on PS3 and PC. Three of my characters have every item in the game. Except, one of them is unfortunately missing the Straight Sword Hilt, which I probably fed to Frampt, and only two of the current six have the Sunlight covenant miracles because I couldn't find enough people to help as a white phantom. Demon's Souls was harder to platinum, but neither of the Trophies nor the Achievement felt very rewarding to unlock.

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By INV2

Avelyn and Ghost Blade aren't needed for Knight's Honor. However, my first playthrough on the 360 has everything, including all the stuff from the DLC. Ghost Blade is a difficult one to get, however, in my opinion, the two tail cut weapons in AoA are the most difficult to get, frustration is through the roof.

I think I got Avelyn on my PC playthrough...and even upgraded it fully and dressed up as homeboy Chester in AoA for giggles. I definitely did not bother on the PS3 playthrough, it was quite "to the point." I just did not enjoy playing this game on the PS3 and wanted to get it over with. I am not going to keep antagonizing console-fan-rage, but personally I just do not like the PS3 controller which made for needlessly frustrating moments.

One thing I might advise to anyone else who wants to S-Rank or Platinum Dark Souls is to make 3 characters. One to get all the Sorceries, i.e. a charcter focused on sorcery and Intelligence. One for Miracles, focused on a Faith build. Then your Knight's Honor character which will get all the Pyromancies and do the 2.5 NG++s. If you get all the achievements using one character like I did, sadly you just end up with a really average character with even stats, which makes invasions very difficult to ever win. You will be fighting PvPers that have tailored their character and focused, often you won't stand a chance, and it can be kinda annoying at times. You might have more fun too, trying different builds and play styles.

EDIT: One more random observation/experience-crystal lizards. Only on my very first 360 playthrough did I ever get a titanite slab from one of them. Otherwise I have never gotten a slab from one in all the NG++s and games I played.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@inv2: congrats on reaching a crazy goal set out by yourself for yourself I suppose.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

...hey and once I saw a blimp.