Who else can't seem to get the parry right?

• 68 results
kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

I'm not sure where I heard this, but I was told to watch the enemies hands and as soon as they start moving toward you during the attack you hit parry. I'm awful at parrying, but this has been the only way I've been ablessed to parry consistently.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I haven't parried outside of the 3 times I tried it in the tutorial area. I've mostly been rolling and getting in behind enemies instead, so there's rarely an opportunity that seems worth it. The timing definitely seemed different when I tried it though. Whether it was more difficult or not I couldn't really say, since I was never great at parrying in the other games.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Uchigatana guy at the beginning is the only guy I can consistently parry, most of the time I can get it off after getting hit a few times. The parry isn't instant like Bloodborne and even Dark Souls 1 had a pretty fast parry, but it's not quite as slow as 2's parry. More often than not I find I'm slightly late and I misjudge the slight amount of time the animation takes.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The golden rule for parrying in all the Souls games is the same, parry the hand not the weapon. The reason I think a lot of people are having more trouble with it in this game is the enemies are more proactive and will attack abruptly. Previous Souls games allowed you to run right up to an enemy before they started to swing which allowed you to get close enough to parry the hand. This game has been injected with a little bit of Bloodborne enemy AI behaviour they're slightly faster and attack earlier.

That being said I almost exclusively only use parries for bosses, otherwise it's more often than not faster to just kill them with normal swings.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I've managed a few parries, but haven't been trying too often. It's definitely going to take some getting used to versus the original Dark Souls. Backstabs however I'm doing all day long. I also love the kick in this game - having it break guards for a critical is really useful against the more defensive enemies who are quick to whip up their shield after attacks and have good reactions to you backstab fishing.

@dixavd said:

I managed to make a different sound to occur when parrying (a much more booming sound) and the enemy was pushed back a little as well as ending their animation, but I wasn't able to then get a specially animated hit in (just a normal one). I never relied on it in previous games, but I could usually figure out how to do it on a given enemy if I chose to - here, not so much.

Sounds like you're nailing the parry - but you need to get right up close to them and use R1 (light attack) for the riposte animation. If it's not working you either are too far to their side or are just not close enough.

schowacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I crazy, or do some shields just not give you the option to parry? I'm rolling around with a Silver Eagle Kite, and any time I press L2 I default to my weapon's special stance.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ivdamke

@schowacs: Certain shields forego the ability to parry but instead allow you to use your weapon art 1 handed. There's a small icon on the bottom left of the shields in your inventory that indicates which does which.

schowacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baronsamedi: You are a lifesaver. A part of me wants abandon the Silver Eagle just so I can parry (plus it's incredibly taxing on my equip load), but so far it's the only shield I've found that has 100% physical absorption.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@y2ken: Thanks, maybe I'll give it another shot (perhaps I'll have better luck with my katana's parrying ability rather than a shield).

Dhutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having issues with parry too, but my backstab game is usually pretty solid unless I'm trying to sneak up on someone. Then I can't backstab to save my life.

Though, personally, I love getting locked into the backstab animation vs an Abyss Watcher, but he's actually not there anymore and I'm just stuck waving my axe in space.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I parried once while summoned for a boss fight. I wasn't even trying to, I was trying to mash out my weapon arts and forgot to take my shield down.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been getting it more and more as time goes on. There is nothing like killing an estus chugging invader with a parry and riposte! :D

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By mike

@schowacs said:

@baronsamedi: You are a lifesaver. A part of me wants abandon the Silver Eagle just so I can parry (plus it's incredibly taxing on my equip load), but so far it's the only shield I've found that has 100% physical absorption.

For early stuff, the regular old Knight Shield, the one that the Knight starts with, has 100% physical and weighs 0.5 less than the Silver Eagle shield. It doesn't look as cool, though. Knight Shield can parry but the window isn't great, definitely not as good as basically any smaller shield.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Parry is the only mechanic I never mastered in these games, mostly because I never forced myself to learn it. In all the other games I could do it semi-reliably against familiar foes but not in this game. I don't know why, I can dodge pretty much any attack easily but the parry never lands. I know the active frames of a parry is narrower than the iframes of a dodge, but it never felt this hopeless.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Has anyone tried the Farron Greatsword for parrying? I've been getting pretty consistent parries with the dagger on that thing, I think it just has a crazy amount of frames or something.

User_Undefined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey:That's what I've been using. That and the Shield of Want which lets you use the weapon art instead of a parry. So I have a relatively stable shield that gives me more souls per enemy and the parry window of a dagger. Now if I could just get my equip load to a point where I could use the Pursuer's Curse Ward Greatshield and Farron Greatsword

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm finding the parry much more reliable than it was in Dark Souls 2. Seriously. In 120 hours of DS2 play, I think I successfully parried maybe three times because it was so unreliable and I didn't want to risk it. I could never figure out the riposte either. Not once. Dark Souls 1, I was parrying fools like crazy. I guess DS3 lies somewhere in the middle. Unsurprisingly. Every time I compare the three games, it's Dark Souls 1 > Dark Souls 3 > Dark Souls 2. Demon's I think I was too scared to parry. I played that entire game from behind a shield wielding rapiers. I think I only started to learn to roll effectively against False King Allant because of his incredibly obnoxious suck your level mechanic.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@anund said:

I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and loved them, but I don't think I parried once. So yeah, I can't get the parry right. On the other hand I never really tried. Just block and backstab seems like less risk for the same reward.

Basically what I have done with these games. I just don't want to get hit. Never have bothered with a shield with less than 100 physical resistance either.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Was able to pull off about 3 parries in the tutorial area, but that did result in getting stabbed quite a lot. Never really been able to pull it off reliably, good to see I'm not the only one.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The input lag/input buffer in this game is killing me after coming off 2. All my timing is off , which is rough for a no shield agility build.